YouTube is still a very important platform in Kpop

• I feel like this opinion is unpopular since, because of K-Pop's growth in the west, which does not use YouTube as its main streaming platform, we have seen fandoms shift their focus from Youtube to Spotify when it comes to streaming. It's not weird to see people dismiss Youtube views nowadays, even though groups get not-too-different daily streams in both platforms.

However, Youtube is still arguably the biggest streaming platform in several regions of the world, like South America or Asia. I think that Youtube views are representative of groups' popularity in these regions specifically, the same way that their performance on Spotify is closer to their popularity in the Western regions. For example, groups with a lot of following in SEA will gather a lot of views, like Blackpink, (G)I-DLE or even the BABYMONSTER content, while groups with larger following in the West, like New Jeans or Twice, will have way lower views on YouTube but high Spotify streams.

You can mention the buying views via ads on YouTube, but the same can be applied to buying playlisting on Spotify, so that evens things out. You can check how many views are real (not ads) on YouTube and how many playlisting a song receives on Spotify.

It's become normalized to see fandoms disregard YouTube views completely and act as if those streams were not as valid as Spotify streams, especially coming from fandoms whose groups don't perform as well on the platform. It's kinda unfair and a very Westernized point of view, not to take into account the main platform of these regions, YouTube, when considering the popularity or success of a group.

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/unpop…portant_platform_in_kpop/

• It doesn’t even things out because there’s no way to quantify Spotify paylsiting the way you can YouTube ads. Yes you can know the reach but that doesn’t mean much in terms of filtering the streams.

Spotify playlisting is like debuting in a big3/4 company. Yes more exposure is going to make you more popular. But there’s no way to distinguish or separate out “playlist” streams just like you can’t remove “company Stan’s”

It’s a privilege that’s going to make you more popular. But nothing is ever a level playing field. And YouTube ads which YouTube themselves acknowledge as being “not real” via the YouTube chart is not the same thing as playlisting.

• It doesn’t even things out because there’s no way to quantify Spotify paylsiting the way you can YouTube ads. Yes you can know the reach but that doesn’t mean much in terms of filtering the streams.

Spotify playlisting is like debuting in a big3/4 company. Yes more exposure is going to make you more popular. But there’s no way to distinguish or separate out “playlist” streams just like you can’t remove “company Stan’s”

It’s a privilege that’s going to make you more popular. But nothing is ever a level playing field. And YouTube ads which YouTube themselves acknowledge as being “not real” via the YouTube chart is not the same thing as playlisting.

Yes a YouTube ad is less fake in that way. It's totally filtered out and means nothing outside of the counter. Playlisting and autoplay isn't filtered out and counts toward global and domestic charting, effectively meaning paying for them is in part paying for charting.

Also I would assume they have enormous impact on streams considering some of these playlist have hundreds of thousands to millions of listeners and companies around the world continue to avail of them.

• For example, groups with a lot of following in SEA will gather a lot of views, like Blackpink, (G)I-DLE or even the BABYMONSTER content, while groups with larger following in the West, like New Jeans or Twice, will have way lower views on YouTube but high Spotify streams.

you lose me at that twice line. If i remember correctly,majority of Twice views + fanvse still come from Asia (Japan, SEA, Taiwan etc)

• I don't get why YouTube ads is looked down upon but playlisting is loved, when both served the same purpose which is to promote

Correctly me if I'm wrong but playlisting contributes to charts? If that's the case then shouldn't it be looked down upon since it's indirectly buying streams by having your song on what popular playlist is it?

I mean I would love my faves to have both but I don't get why one is good and one is bad

• YouTube was never meant for streaming music. The main reason it's so popular with Kpop fans is because it acts as a huge archive of on-demand music videos. That hasn't changed, regardless of where you live. We've always had proper streaming platforms in the west for as long as streaming has existed, so nothing's changed there either, but fans here are still going to use YouTube if they want to watch MVs.

• I don't get why YouTube ads is looked down upon but playlisting is loved, when both served the same purpose which is to promote

Correctly me if I'm wrong but playlisting contributes to charts? If that's the case then shouldn't it be looked down upon since it's indirectly buying streams by having your song on what popular playlist is it?

I mean I would love my faves to have both but I don't get why one is good and one is bad

Depends on whether its paid for by the company or not. If its company paid, it's looked down upon, but only one form is transparent enough to figure that out - youtube ads. For playlisting, it COULD be popular and have gotten there through streaming #'s - we can't assume it's paid though some certainly do. And thus lies the contention and why Youtube ads is looked down upon more universally - cause it only came from one source and we know that without a doubt it was fueled by $$$. We are speculating about playlisting though since Spotify is anything but transparent.

• Correctly me if I'm wrong but playlisting contributes to charts? If that's the case then shouldn't it be looked down upon since it's indirectly buying streams by having your song on what popular playlist is it?

Streams obtained from plays of songs via a playlist is not filtered from charting.

70% of Spotify users are free tier and cannot choose their songs and therefore need to rely on playlisting. Plasylisting is how the platform works. Unlike most people think it's not only about buying your place into them. Most playlists are curated or automatically generated by algorithms. Having huge playlisting is already a sign of popularity not the way around

Autoplay in other hand is cancer... but this is another thing to discuss

As for ads, they are simply bought views. They are not used to advetising, but for inflation. Generally the end game is to help creating headlines on articles or win music shows. They should be disregarded because they are, by all means and purposes, useless

• Maybe SEA YouTubers after important for YT views since they are great streamers. But I feel like the rest of the world has moved on from YT? 🤷🏽‍♀️🤷🏻

In Serbia (southeastern europe) YouTube is the most popular music streaming platform by far. And when i say by far i mean by FAR! I'm sure it's the most popular in other southeaster countries as well. As for eastern and central europe, I'm not sure, someone from there might say something. bartkun help ?

• In Serbia (southeastern europe) YouTube is the most popular music streaming platform by far. And when i say by far i mean by FAR! I'm sure it's the most popular in other southeaster countries as well. As for eastern and central europe, I'm not sure, someone from there might say something. bartkun help ?

Spotify is here in Poland #1 in terms of just music streaming service

Youtube Music is #2

but overall we need to remember about the main, big youtube with MV's and that one overall is unmatched

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There is so much wrong info in this thread I don't even know where to start. I will address the two most batantly points:

First, NJ and Twice have more views than G Idle. Why did you choose groups that are indeed bigger than G Idle in Asia to prove your point?

Second. LATAM has HEAVY HEAVY usage of Spotify. 2 weeks ago we had 6 Latin American songs on thr top 10 of the global charts. This is absolute domination. Make no mistake, if a kpop group is big in LATAM It WILL reflect on Spotify. Currently the only 4th gen group to chart ever in Brazil is NewJeans. No wonder why they are so big on Spotify lol

• because the OP in Reddit is wrong ;-)

in youtube this year:

for ggs, the top 3:

BP(even without release) >>>>> Twice > NJ >> (G) ~ IVE > other ggs.

There are no ggs close to BP.

the Pink dominated youtube.

• YT is in the past now, and the MVs doesn't even get over 3m likes as used to be anymore.

Fifty Fifty got over 3m likes :dancer-pepe:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• They just copy pasted a reddit thread

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!