Lyrics are not important for KPop - the greatest Lyricist in Korea is not even a full time lyricist

• Even if KPop had better lyrics, they would be in K-O-R-E-A-N and would not be intelligible to the i-fans.

The most important part for a KPop act's song is the performance. After that everything comes second.

So, the lyrics , if they are actually sung, have to be 'flowing' easily . Their meanings are quite less important, since not too many i-fans would care anyways.

As of now, Korea's greatest lyricist, who won the Lyricist of the Year award from Gaon for 2 consecutive years, is just 29 years old, born in 1993.

She did not attend a University.

Still she managed to write lyrics which were good enough to win the Lyricist Award for 2 consecutive years.

The caveat is, she wrote the lyrics for H-E-R-S-E-L-F, and no KPop act is eager to ask her to write lyrics for their title song.

Why?

She is unable to write good lyrics for the acts who are catering to i-fans since she is trained to write lyrics only in K-O-R-E-A-N and never learned to empathize for the i-fans because she was never taught how to write lyrics for the KPop acts.

As a result, the best lyricist in Korea is not a full time lyricist. She is engaged in a bunch of things, which I do not feel like recounting again today, but it is enough to say that writing lyrics is not the biggest thing she is known for.

If someone who spends a lot more time doing something else is Korea's best lyricist, and she not being able to write any lyrics for a true KPop hit (other than one song for herself), no wonder KPop lyrics are quite forgettable. (Her own lyrics lose a lot of meaning when translated into other languages which is why she is not that popular outside of K-O-R_E_A.)

• i dont care about lyrics in music period

if i want to listen to whats being said, ill go hear speeches or some shit

that said, id prefer if kpop would tone down on the english cause some of those lyrics are so goofy ass it ruins one's ability to take the songs seriously

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• Like the old man loves to say, different strokes for different folks. I personally find beautiful lyrics or clever wordplay in a song very fascinating and interesting. It what makes me stay with BTS because I love to read their thoughts and emotions from their lyrics. There’s plenty of ARMY who feel like me too.

Maybe others love beats more and don’t care about lyrics and that’s ok too. So no need to generalise kpop fans.

• Lol, but yeah, fortunately a song is not just about it's lyric, it also had their melodies and emotions.

I agree. The vocal melody, and connecting emotion(s), is an important part of what makes a song memorable too.

• Songs that are 80% ratattatatat or dududuududu or hahahahaha or bombombombom are still shite though

Hardly anyone outside of Korea cares to analyze the lyrics of the lyricist in question, whose photo graces the left and bottom of this reply. The only song of hers which went anywhere contained the words "Hello Stu p i d", something the i-fans could understand

• I agree. The vocal melody, and connecting emotion(s), is an important part of what makes a song memorable too.

In the new style of KPop vocals are buried under the sound. It is the sound, not the lyrics hardly anyone understand, which attracts the i-fans

• The one thing that makes kpop different from other non-English pop music, is that they use English here and there.

I does not matter how stupid it sounds, is something that people from Indonesia, Germany, Egypt will understand, even if they do not understand the other 90% of the song.

• The one thing that makes kpop different from other non-English pop music, is that they use English here and there.

I does not matter how stupid it sounds, is something that people from Indonesia, Germany, Egypt will understand, even if they do not understand the other 90% of the song.

Which is the key. People from other countries who don't care about Korean language should be able to get it.

• In the new style of KPop vocals are buried under the sound. It is the sound, not the lyrics hardly anyone understand, which attracts the i-fans

It's a trend and a lot of trends are a part of a bigger cycle. There's always going to be at least 1 artist or group who will buck the trend.

Besides that, I think you missed the point of my last post's focus on vocal melody. Vocal melody goes beyond language. Where did I mention lyrics? A bad or weak vocal melody can tank even the best of sounds.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!