Will Newjeans be the next Blackpink in your opinion?

• Hi guys, I am a very small YouTuber (30 subs lol) and I made rating and ranking every Newjeans song (If you feel generous and you want to help a small YouTuber give it a look and maybe subscribe , here's the link:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

). Anyway do you think that Newjeans will be the next blackpink of Kpop?

• Honestly...

I can't see it

But I guess it depends on what you define as the "next Blackpink". If you solely mean a kpop girl group that does well abroad, MAYBE.

But if "next Blackpink" also involves discussion of impact and identity, no.

I'mma just mostly copy paste and add on to what I said like 5 months back about this topic...

-----------------------------------

I feel NJ needs more differentiation between members and their personalities to be that

Western GG's and Western popular GG's (and boy groups to a degree) are very much defined by being a group of different people. Hell that was the Spice Girls whole concept. The Sporty One, The Posh One, The Scary One etc... "Characters" that fans and even non fans can immediately identify with and very, very quickly choose a favourite, even without knowing their names. "Oh I like the Posh one!!! I wanna know more about her"

I still think thats ONE reason why Blackpink struck a chord outside Korea. That the members are distinct in look and personality. You could immediately identify and pick a favourite. The Cool Rapper. The Glamorous One with Attitude. The Indie Rocker Type Girl. The Princess. You don't need to dive into non musical content to see this, just watching an MV or two highlights the members differences.

This was highlighted at Coachella, where they really lent into the members "characters". I use quotes around that, because when you dig deep enough, you do realise that the characters are stage persona, especially for Jennie and Lisa.

NJ are almost the antithesis of this. I find it harder to differentiate the members and it almost seems intentional to make them a bit more homogenous. The the group as a unit is more than the group as a collection of distinct members, which is fine. But I kind of think that may be an impediment towards "next Blackpink", because how the identify as a group and as individuals is very different to BP.

Musically too theres a world of difference. Blackpink music is big, loud, brash and in your face. It's not for everyone, but it does immediately hit you and it also works very well for big live performance and with a live band. It's also a bit chaotic and ties into the characters and their "rock star" image

New Jeans music is still very safe. It's pleasant and enjoyable enough but it still doesn't really have nothing that punches you in the face and makes you say "wow I MUST see this live and in person!"

Time will tell and New Jeans still has a lot going for them and a lot of time and space to evolve and mature.

They can and might still become very big, but I think mainly as the "First New Jeans", not the "next Blackpink"

• Their song style and concept is totally different. Which means in the future they will need to totally switch these.

That said, they are talented, so can do this switch when required.

Some other groups, that lack the talent or dedication, would not be able to.

• i agree, tbh we should wait for like 2 years to really see their popularity...

i mean someone could randomly jump up cuz that happens all the time in kpop

• I said this the minute they debuted, NJ is the literal reincarnation of BP.

Upstart rival to the current national girl group (Twice in BP days, Ive now).

Cultural reset engineered with their y2k sounds and concept. (BP brought on girl crush era).

Incredible international and Western popularity all within one year of debut (BP hitting Bubbling Under as 10 month rookies, something never done before).

Heavy individual promotions esp in areas like fashion (Chanel, Dior, etc).

• One of the charm of Blackpink and probably their selling point is every member has their own distinct style and charm. That's why each member stand strong on their own. While I look at Newjeans they are pretty much same to me. They have no rapper, I can't even distinguish their vocal tones, when I listen their song it sounds like one person singing the whole song. I am not sold with their performances too. So far, I only think they are cute girls who are singing chill songs. It doesn't have that excitement I feel with BP songs which I always wait for Jenlisa rap slay, Jisoo husky voice and Rosie's unique high voice. They will be successful in their own way but BP is different, it's hard to create such charming girlgroup like BP tho.

• In the west it may be possible. They have already broken records for kpop ggs there. But they still have lots of things to catch up on.

For me I find their live performances very tame and boring compared to lesserafim so I’m not interested to watch them live even if they have good music.

Still they just started as a group. They need to garner experience and make more impact. Maybe I’m the next 5 years we can visit this topic again

• That wa such a well said !! I agree totally

• No. I think their success is different.

BP in the first place had their viralness on Youtube.

The industry is changing and NJ seems more Spotify popular.

That has implications as there is no visual aspect to Spotify, so it is less about the presentation but music only

(and no, I'm not saying BP doesn't have good music, just that the focus is more exclusively on the music for NJ)

I also agree with people saying that it's less about different personalities with NJ. I can't name one of them and I don't even know how many members there are. Despite me not being a Blink, I have known about BP members names for years. BP 'growing up' on Youtube helps with that, as you can at least see them there, while NJ is just music for me.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!