Why are small companies taking better notes in the playlisting game than big companies?

• I just saw that XG song in a playlist with nearly 10M followers :cryingr: And on big playlists like Pop Rising too. Like good for them for their company doing well in this area and willing to spend the big bucks. It does make you wonder though why smaller/nugu companies can look at the likes of NewJeans and be like 'Hey, we should try that!' while the most of the big groups from big4 are getting flop playlisting reach because their company is stuck in 2017 and would rather spend money on flop ads that are realistically going to do nothing to spread their name or give them more exposure outside of the KPOP realm.

• wonder the difference in playlisting between fifty fifty’s cupid compared to aespa’s life’s too short. fifty fifty’s cupid entered bubbling under while lts failed to do that. it didn’t even enter spotify global. do you know if lts got decent playlisting in comparison to cupid?

really impressed with cupid’s results!

• I wonder what the reaction would be if suddenly payola raised kpop songs take over major playlists.

It's one thing if companies only push songs that are already viral and have some good streams, but if they start to doing it to every song then Idk.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Think Spotify will always want a bit of a cap on how much Kpop they let into their big playlists.

XG is a good fit for them because they're great songs but they're also 100% in English. Like locals won't hear the songs and think of the dumb Kpop stigma.

• some companies seem extremely focused on fandom-only promo methods and then wonder why these releases don't hang around. The teams of NJ, Fifty Fifty and a few others seem to understand it's all about having a hit song (including beyond the artist fanbase). I feel like this could be a breakthrough year for K-pop if more artists team start to realize this and implement global promo strategies and reach accordingly.

• I rmb people were bashing New Jeans so much for their playlisting but suddenly people want their favs to get same promos?

Interesting. :pepe-popcorn:

Even if the songs get added into playlists, they need to be easy-listening and have that western vibe too for them to do well imo. So far in 4th gen, I think only those 3 groups (NJ, 50 50 and XG) have that, everyone else sounds like typical Kpop.

• But does Cupid have playlisting? XG has playlisting and the song doesn’t enter Global 200 so not sure if playlisting can change anything

They definitely are being pushed to some extent. They've been appearing in my daily kpop mixes and I haven't listened to them on Spotify once :skull:

I believe XG were extremely close to entering so it does help a bit.

• If you pay for playlisting, then there is less for payola.

imo it is useful if you have a good song and would like to for a short period promote it in the US and maybe it takes off. However if you are not promoting in the US, then there is no point paying for playlisting, unless it is just for PR soundbites.

• wonder the difference in playlisting between fifty fifty’s cupid compared to aespa’s life’s too short. fifty fifty’s cupid entered bubbling under while lts failed to do that. it didn’t even enter spotify global. do you know if lts got decent playlisting in comparison to cupid?

really impressed with cupid’s results!

There's a difference because Cupid Cupid is doing well on tiktok, and as we all know tiktok is a massive boost for any artist

IMG_20230322_203544.jpg

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• You don’t make money on streams when you opt for Spotify Discovery mode

For newer groups who have to establish themselves, it’s a fair exchange to gain fans who will check them out their next cb.

But for established groups, I guess companies won’t want to share the little profits they are making off streams on Spotify because they feel comfortable in their position

• I think companies with popular groups rely on the fandom to chart songs, which is lazy. Republic is fucking awful when it comes to playlisting the kpop groups they house.

XG and FIFTYFIFTY's companies know they have a big casual listener base and are being forced to get more creative with their marketing, at least creative for Kpop's standards. If they had paid for only YT ads, neither of their songs would be getting this much attention.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• There's a difference because Cupid Cupid is doing well on tiktok, and as we all know tiktok is a massive boost for any artist

IMG_20230322_203544.jpg

If this is why people are saying Cupid is rising on Spotify because of tiktok, then they don’t know anything. This isn’t what we call viral. It needs to have at least a sound reaching over a million videos before we can even say it’s making waves

Still you won’t even see songs that reach 3M videos on Spotify chart :skull:

• If this is why people are saying Cupid is rising on Spotify because of tiktok, then they don’t know anything. This isn’t what we call viral. It needs to have at least a sound reaching over a million videos before we can even say it’s making waves

Still you won’t even see songs that reach 3M videos on Spotify chart :skull:

I never said it's going viral, I said it's doing well. For comparison, NewJeans' Hype Boy has around 220k videos on tiktok, and was released months ago. Cupid Cupid is a song released weeks ago. OMG has around 500k. So 380k videos using the song on tiktok in a month is A LOT for a nugu rookie gg.

JCsIq3Q.gif

• I never said it's going viral, I said it's doing well. For comparison, NewJeans' Hype Boy has around 220k videos on tiktok, and was released months ago. Cupid Cupid is a song released weeks ago. OMG has around 500k. So 380k videos using the song on tiktok in a month is A LOT for a nugu rookie gg.

Tbh I don’t also see nj track to be viral. It’s just popular in kpop spaces and has good playlisting.

I agree 380k videos is a lot for nugu gg but it’s not in the grand scheme of things. That level of tiktok popularity will not give you those results on Spotify

• Tbh I don’t also see nj track to be viral. It’s just popular in kpop spaces and has good playlisting.

I agree 380k videos is a lot for nugu gg but it’s not in the grand scheme of things. That level of tiktok popularity will not give you those results on Spotify

If it's doing well on tiktok it shows that people genuinely enjoy the song. Their company may have bought playlisting but if it's doing well on more platforms other than spotify then the song has its own credits.

A lyrics channel with 5m subscribers and videos with almost 100m of views with barely any kpop (really, I havent seen any other than 50/50) just posted a video of this song. The genuine interest is clear.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I only find surprising that koreans haven't catch up with it yet.

JCsIq3Q.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!