I think the concept of the "IT girl" is slowly dying out

• And that's because big companies don't care. Why go for individual promo when their top girl groups are making so much money through streams, sales, touring, etc.

Top female idols have no reason to extend to an actress career or variety to stay relevant with the public or whatever now cause they have a fanbase. Wasn't really the case for a while but here we are. If they do it'll probably be more of a passion thing or a few roles and not a full on career.

I understand why so many people are frustrated with JYP's decision to not individually promote their female idols but honestly can you blame them. When both Itzy and TWICE are pulling more money for the company through album sales and touring then they likely ever will through CFs (that go more to the idol anyway)

Big reason why Wonyoung is the only real 4th gen IT Girl right now is ironically cause of the company she's under. She's SSE's biggest idol since the 2nd gen, so yeah ofc they're gonna accept every single CF and commercial that goes her way, milk her (& IVE as a whole tbh) while she's in her heyday before they inevitably fade back into irrelevancy. Yujin is up there for the same reason. Big3 companies have nothing else to lose though cause whatever group or idol they pump out will be successful and popular either way. And this is kinda why I think the likes of Karina etc aren't really getting solo gigs.

What do you think ;judgingpepe:

I kinda rushed on this so sorry if it's hard to understand :boompepe:

• Nah, I think IT girls will always exist.

Whatever companies do, there will always be a public pick.

JYPE is a unique case, but other companies don't seem to be holding back on individual promotions.

SM has also shown a trend since Exo and Red Velvet to do group promotions for a couple of years before solo pushing their idols. So, I don't think what's happening with Karina is unusual post-3rd gen. I have no idea how SM handled pushing individual idols in 2nd gen, but I do know that it took a few years for Taeyeon to debut solo though Yoona was pushed extra early.

I do think companies will focus more on touring than they did in the past which will eat into solo promotions, but I don't think those will go away. And, the public's pick will remain no matter what.

What defines an IT girl may change, but that's about it.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• nope
    I disagree
    the real reason
    at the moment no one come close w combo of visual + aegyo
    and elegance of Wonyoung

any competition will look small or nothing against her
    she is head and shoulders above any GG top visual at the moment

only Somi
    if she had her own GG

or Yujin if she not on the same group
    could come close

• Its all IU's fault i say.

The crowning achivement for an IT girl used to be when they became a cf model for one of the big soju brands, which usually lasted for 1-2 years max, then their job was done and onto the next girl. IU just decided block every upcoming IT candidate by ignoring that rule and continued to be the model for the biggest soju brand for eight years and going, no shame in her really, be it cf contracts or charts.

• Another thing, only privileged companies and groups will have the option to prioritize touring.

Some KPOP groups just won't take off globally as much as others, and those companies and groups will need to do something to make money.

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Another thing, only privileged companies and groups will have the option to prioritize touring.

Some KPOP groups just won't take off globally as much as others, and those companies and groups will need to do something to make money.

I pretty much said that in my OP with the Wonyoung example. And my thread is mostly concerning POPULAR members in POPULAR groups under POPULAR companies

• Ofcourse the money is good now but an increase in album sales shouldn't drastically change anything. So why is that? If u haven't realised already, kpop is a huge cultural export controlled by the goverment. Big companies are now basically forced to focus outside korea rather than spending time to make their mark in korea and creating these "it girls". That's for small companies like starship and others. This is the biggest change i've seen from 3rd gen to 4th gen. One year in korea and then that's it one has to join the hallyu wave. Before, only the biggest groups were sent but now all big company groups need to move out and capture a "bigger market" out there and improve korea's position in the world. And also Why do you think blackpink went to riyadh? it's political.

• I think it girls are basically being reduced to looks and maybe some quirk. That's it.

It girls used to be often have some kind of role outside the group too including acting, CFs, variety or whatever. Nowadays less idols become actresses, CFs are easier to come by for a lot more idols so less need for a singular it girl to bag them, hardly any variety shows. Kpop companies will always try to push an it girl or 2 as they will be the most bankable stars for them potentially but there's simply not enough opportunities for more to break through.

• no, its even more alive now than ever bc gg members are getting solo jobs faster than in pass gens

its obv companies want for the group and members to be know and if they are really lucky have a hit group and multiple it girls within in

• Side note I love that Karina sig, lovelyyyy

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The IT girl is still Jennie.

The current 4th Gen IT girl is Minji. It was Wonyoung, but her moment is over. Current IT girl Jennie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> current 4th Gen IT girl.

The next IT girl, will most probably be an acting idol like Yoona or Suzy. It could be Yujin.

The money is in touring overseas and merchandising mainly from touring. One decent sized concert will make more money than album sales for a promotion, since there are massive costs for a promotion.

• Like with everything in the newer generations, nothing lasts as long as people have short attention spans. It girls feel less relevant as not many stick anymore. :pepe-narrow-eyes:

• I pretty much said that in my OP with the Wonyoung example. And my thread is mostly concerning POPULAR members in POPULAR groups under POPULAR companies

But your title says IT girl. It doesn't specify only IT girls from top companies. IT girls can come from smaller companies too. It's not as prevalent as it was in the 2nd gen but still possible. :pepe-shrug:

• It is not dying out. They don't need to be actress anymore simple. Jennie can make thirty million this year from ytur merchandise cfs combined and hbo gig. Acting a small part of it. Suzy didn't have touring power and merchandise sales, that's why they needed acting. Yoona had fandom but their touring power was nowhere near bp and more members to share. That's why needed acting with her cfa.

Whereas wonyoung has offers like suzy and she might debut. I can newjeans members in acting in few years. If I've and nja become touring monsters, they will be fine room But it is not important for idols anymore. And it girls don't need to be on TV twenty four hrs. What you see as it girl in second gen, tv was important promo. It is not anymore. The way it girls are seen now is different

Move with times.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!