At what point you would consider it a deal breaker if the company doesn't involve the artist in decision making process?

• I'm legit shocked to know groups after their 5th year still have no input on their title track or the direction they want to go.

Ideally they are involved since debut, but since idols are very young when they start its OK for the company to take some control. However around 3 year mark they must start giving more and more control to the artist.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Given what KPOP is and what it represents, I'd say it's not a deal breaker for me.

Companies literally train their artists to dance how they want them to dance, sing how they want them to sing, pay for them to get PS to look how they want them to look, and even give them "images" to uphold.

Nothing about that screams artist involvement, and yet, most of us still eat it up.

I don't expect most artists to ever have that kind of involvement unless they actually blow up as a group or individually and gain that kind of influence within the company because now...they are indispensable. Or, until they prove themselves with skills like how Woozi, Edawn, BI, and more did.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• for me the issue is alot more simpler

Idols will have more incentive to present a song they like rather than the one they dont

Also there are groups I think they are indispensable to their companies but not respected when it comes to decision making process

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• for me the issue is alot more simpler

Idols will have more incentive to present a song they like rather than the one they dont

Also there are groups I think they are indispensable to their companies but not respected when it comes to decision making process

Gonna be honest, most groups are not indispensable. I can probably name one or 2 per company.

Unfortunately, while idols enjoy performing songs they like more than ones they don't, why should the company care? It's a business thing. If the song you like doesn't sell, what's the point of putting it out? And if you don't care about how successful a song is, then why even join a major company?

As a fan, I would love if the members like the song and have fun performing, but I am also selfish. If I don't like the music direction a group is going in after the artists get more artistic control, I'll say good for them, but I'm not gonna buy it. And it might make me lose interest in the group.

So yeah, artistic freedom for me in a KPOP group is not a deal breaker. The only time something like that may bother me is if artists are forced to do something that makes them uncomfortable. Like being oversexualized. THEN it would bother me, but other than that, I don't expect that from KPOP, and if an artist wants that kind of freedom, they should go to a company that they feel will give them that.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Yep, 95 percent of idol produced songs (where the idol is very involved in the music production not just writing lyrics) is either unlistenable, bad or mediocre.

Give me music made by professionals who know what they're doing. Teddy, BEP, Pdogg, JYP, etc. And even they dont hit on some of their songs.

• Yep, 95 percent of idol produced songs (where the idol is very involved in the music production not just writing lyrics) is either unlistenable, bad or mediocre.

Give me music made by professionals who know what they're doing. Teddy, BEP, Pdogg, JYP, etc. And even they dont hit on some of their songs.

I am not talking about idols being producers here

Im talking about them having some options, not just getting one song from their company as little track with no input

• It’s painful to perform songs that you don’t like and when you know damn well it will not do well or it doesn’t represent you. That’s why western artists usually hate their biggest hits because it’s giving them trauma.

cue SHINee exiting the room every time someone pulls ring ding dong on them

• Honestly, this is the best privilege JYP has always done to Stray Kids.

Its pretty crazy considering that it seems like alot of disgruntled artists who left the agency was due to lack of freedom.

Im not sure how trust worthy minion as a source is, but he said other JYP artists dont have inputs on their tts.

• It's honestly a deal-breaker for me if the group doesn't write and compose their own songs.

I realise it's rare in the industry, but I just want the artist to be the one who helped make the song.

Also, people always go "oh the professionals do it better". Quite frankly i've enjoyed far more self-composed songs, then I ever have from Leez/Ollounder, Jhun, Teddy etc. Particularly Jhun and Teddy, two examples who are held up as good producers, but I find most of their stuff a big miss.

It always tickles me, that argument. I'd listen to 15 attempts at "mediocre" self-produced songs then I would ever listen to say, Pink Venom again. Why Teddy gets the big praise he does is always beyond me. His best work was when G-Dragon was the secondary composer (and idol composer) and moderating his nonsense during Made.

• As a Blink, I think that that information alone is enough to know my opinion. Of course I want the idols to have some say in their music. It's their music after all. That's a part of what I admire about Stray Kids: that not only do they make their own music, and it sounds good, but they get to have so much creative freedom to decide what to release, when and why. However, even if the artist in question gets none for all of the years that they are active, I won't lose any sleep over it. I'm fine with both ends of the spectrum.

• Can't help it because the one who got the money are the company, not the idols...

Well, unless they are becomes big and having a great recognition in the public, then it would be weird if they don't have a say in the decision making.

So it would happen when the idol is bigger or at least on the same level as their company.

• Twice is a good example. I don't think they performed songs they didn't like. JYP was aware of making enjoyable music for them. Tey asked for a more mature concept for Fancy so the image and sound change is something you can actually atribute to the members. Similar groups are BP, DC, Purple Kiss

For me having input isn't all about self-producing or self-writing. It's simply about working with the people making the song and concept. Not everyone is a composer or lyricist and I'd rather idols stop forcing those talents, but I mean it's your music after all so you should have some type of contribution IMO

out of service

• I don't hugely care for not having creative control. They are pop stars in a manufactured industry. They know the score.

The deal breaker for me would be if the idols were being forced into clothing/dance/behaviour they are really not comfortable with, but the label insists on anyway and possibly punishes or sanctions if the idols refuse.

THATS a deal breaker

• Its pretty crazy considering that it seems like alot of disgruntled artists who left the agency was due to lack of freedom.

Im not sure how trust worthy minion as a source is, but he said other JYP artists dont have inputs on their tts.

I don't think minion is very informed about what the members actually say or show about their work processes... Here's some examples from TWICE:

So whenever I see ONCEs complaining about the title track choices, or the styling, or the promotional activities, or even the merchandising and album being lacklustre, and blaming the company for their poor decisions that are sabotaging the members, I just quietly laugh.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!