[Pann/Nate] Netizens debate whether EXO ‘Growl’ or BTS ‘Dynamite’ is more successful in Korea

• Growl vs Dynamite, which song is more successful in Korea?

Both songs are mega hits, but which song is more successful domestically?

Netizens-debate-whether-EXO-Growl-or-BTS-Dynamite-is-more-successful-in-Korea.jpg

Growl – vote up

Dynamite – vote down

[+1106, -477]

1. [+625, -155] Of course it’s Growl..?

2. [+460, -101] For Korea, it’s Growl

3. [+328, -477] Can’t compare, isn’t it Dynamite?

4. [+174, -183] How the hell do you think Growl is a mega hit? It ranked 12th on the annual chart. Of course the song is good, but do you think it’s the best hit song of all time because you’ve lost your memory? In terms of domestic achievements, Dynamite is overwhelming

5. [+149, -26] Growl… I miss the Growl era

6. [+127, -17] I’m just a passerby, I think it’s Growl

Original post (1)

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• lol not the SM stans in those posts

Growl wasn't even the biggest song of that year, let alone the biggest bg song of the decade.

Lol stop trying to change history because you can’t remember it…. it charted #2 on the streaming year end chart (which btw is a higher peak than dynamite had) with not a lot of difference with #1 and it was released mid year. Meaning a lot of people were casually checking it out.

It was just a transitionary era between streaming and downloads and cannot be directly mapped to todays performance. Won’t make growl any less of a hugely successful song.

It was definitely the top song of the year in terms of how much it was streamed make no mistake about it.

• Lol stop trying to change history because you can’t remember it…. it charted #2 on the streaming year end chart with not a lot of difference with #1 and it was released mid year. Meaning a lot of people were casually checking it out.

It was just a transitionary era between streaming and downloads and cannot be directly mapped to todays performance. Won’t make growl any less of a hugely successful song.

It was definitely the top song of the year in terms of how much it was streamed make no mistake about it.

No

• this is honestly rlly strange to me and it feels like an attempt to subtly downplay dynamite and drag bts. how are you trying to compare songs from 2 different generations in the first place? and how do you have a convo like this without taking into consideration demographics or the changes to the charts? what is the scale? what is being compared?

crazy to me that exo ls and vips are still trying bts to this day! who are you even fighting for at this point?

who's your favorite artist?

• You can't compare a song that made a group famous with a song that was released by an already super famous group. That itself is already incomparable...

Both songs are from a different generation/time. One was released in 2013 while the other in 2020, how does it make sense to compare them

No Thoughts Head empty, only Baekhyun

F0CgG2zaUAIMXea?format=jpg&name=4096x4096  F0CgG2zaUAERynm?format=jpg&name=4096x4096  F0CgG2xagAEwdCR?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• You can't compare a song that made a group famous with a song that was released by an already super famous group. That itself is already incomparable...

Both songs are from a different generation/time. One was released in 2013 while the other in 2020, how does it make sense to compare them

Also IMO kpop was way more relevant in Korea in 2013 than now lol. Nothing will ever top Growl as being the quintessential biggest hit for 3rd gen. It’s impact in 2013 is unmatched.

• Also IMO kpop was way more relevant in Korea in 2013 than now lol. Nothing will ever top Growl as being the quintessential biggest hit for 3rd gen. It’s impact in 2013 is unmatched.

Kpop kinda got mainstream too, I remember getting strange looks from people in 2013 when I told them I listen to kpop while nowadays it's not that uncommon anymore. So like I said different times, different generations

I mean a boy group( and a rookie on top of that) selling 2 million physical copies overall was unheard in 2013 (sans bigbang) People who didn't even know or cared for kpop knew growl, the fact that it's still relevant and gets covered 8 years laters tells a lot

No Thoughts Head empty, only Baekhyun

F0CgG2zaUAIMXea?format=jpg&name=4096x4096  F0CgG2zaUAERynm?format=jpg&name=4096x4096  F0CgG2xagAEwdCR?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• this is honestly rlly strange to me and it feels like an attempt to subtly downplay dynamite and drag bts. how are you trying to compare songs from 2 different generations in the first place? and how do you have a convo like this without taking into consideration demographics or the changes to the charts? what is the scale? what is being compared?

crazy to me that exo ls and vips are still trying bts to this day! who are you even fighting for at this point?

No, it is actually an attempt to drag EXO. Comparing a recent song to an older song for their achievemetns when things were not the same and the groups were not at the same stage of popularity, shows that some people just want to drag EXO.

Glad to see people remember Growl fondly. It is indeed one of kpop's iconic songs.

• No, it is actually an attempt to drag EXO. Comparing a recent song to an older song for their achievemetns when things were not the same and the groups were not at the same stage of popularity, shows that some people just want to drag EXO.

Glad to see people remember Growl fondly. It is indeed one of kpop's iconic songs.

the fact that pretty much every comment on the post says growl definitely while the post saying dynamite is downvoted much more says enough! the post was clearly troll bait. pann is known for it

who's your favorite artist?

• wow i guess i tend to underestimate Growl big popularity in korea :woow:

It really was! It ushered in the streaming era. The increased physical sales. The forum Enter talk exists because they wanted to put all the pann posts about exo in a separate folder.

People having amnesia about what growl was in SK… a cultural reset.

• Dynamite is bigger, its one of the biggest songs released in the last few years and the biggest this decade so far.

Growl did ok and is a hit but its not even the best performing song of the year it released. Downloads were still bigger than streams back then and the biggest songs from that period have 4m+ downloads. Friday by IU released at the end of the same year have 5m+ downloads. Meanwhile growl is at 2m downloads.

Edited 4 times, last by Kreatin ().

TF are you even talking about?

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• Lol stop trying to change history because you can’t remember it…. it charted #2 on the streaming year end chart (which btw is a higher peak than dynamite had) with not a lot of difference with #1 and it was released mid year. Meaning a lot of people were casually checking it out.

lol you're literally picking out one chart where it came in second and ignoring all other metrics where it didn't even come in the top 10. And streaming, we know how K-Pop stans are with that. Growl was a hit but has always been overrated by SM stans and can't be compared to Dynamite, which outranks Growl in literally every metric.

even though songs released at completely different times can't be well compared, Dynamite was by far the biggest song of the year while Growl was clearly not. Case closed.

• lol you're literally picking out one chart where it came in second and ignoring all other metrics where it didn't even come in the top 10. And streaming, we know how K-Pop stans are with that. Growl was a hit but has always been overrated by SM stans and can't be compared to Dynamite, which outranks Growl in literally every metric.

even though songs released at completely different times can't be well compared, Dynamite was by far the biggest song of the year while Growl was clearly not. Case closed.

What all other metrics. It had the most streams, they had the most physical sales, they had the fandom craze. You don’t want to agree that it was a transitional time between streams and downloads. You can’t fathom that that digital chart and how music is consumed has since then gone through immense change.

For me it’s much harder to get up there on the streaming chart than any other chart for digitals indeed. Even now.

Anyway what’s the use arguing. I’m not going to change my mind and you’re not going to change yours.

I only replied to you not to argue with you but for others who may be reading to know that growl was indeed the best song of the year streaming wise and one of the very few BGs in the last 10 years to ever crack top 2 of the streaming chart.

• I'm not gonna argue any further but I'm just replying to let people who read this know that fandom craze and physical sales have absolutely nothing to do with digital success lol. And reaching #2 in one streaming chart (which one btw, since this wasn't mentioned yet) does not change the fact that by ANY other metric, unique listeners, downloads, digital index, Gallup poll, year-end charts or whatever else, it simply wasn't the biggest song of the year.

• I'm not gonna argue any further but I'm just replying to let people who read this know that fandom craze and physical sales have absolutely nothing to do with digital success lol. And reaching #2 in one streaming chart (which one btw, since this wasn't mentioned yet) does not change the fact that by ANY other metric, unique listeners, downloads, digital index, Gallup poll, year-end charts or whatever else, it simply wasn't the biggest song of the year.

I see so you were saying all this without even know what chart I was talking about :angryr: :angryr:

It’s Gaon Year End streaming chart the definitive chart for digital performance. In case you didn’t know the digital performance is determined by two charts : the download and streaming chart and then we have the overall digital chart. The point being that at a time when streaming was just up and coming EXO dominated it and ushered in a new era. Lol.

Also FYI the #1 song in the overall digital chart of 2013 Gentleman has less Melon ULs than Growl. So yeah my point still is the same. Same for other top 10 digital hits like Sistar and SNSD.

Why do people keep spewing random BS without ever looking at a single fact I’ll never know.

Anyway thanks for the good laugh I had fun.

• okay so now not only was Growl the biggest song of the decade, it also ushered in the streaming era. Well I can see how no other song could ever possibly compare to that!!1! lmao. Like, is it so hard for EXO-Ls to just celebrate it being a hit, without making all these wild claims that are just asking to be debunked? it's a little ridiculous. Gallup poll had it at #4, digital charts had it somewhere between top 10 and top 50. That's a regular hit for ya.

• This thread contains 63 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!