are vocal standards actually much higher now?

• have vocal standards gone up in the last couple of gens? 36

1. standards have gone down, no one sings live (29) 81%
    2. standards have gone up, that's why no one sings live (7) 19%

i've been watching performances from 2nd gen and it seems like a lot of groups sang live (wildly different from current gens where even groups who are very vocally strong don't often sing live) but they aren't particularly better singers. sometimes they're off key, their voices crack, and while there's one or two members that are obviously the main/lead vocalists, overall as a group they aren't impressive. but it seems to me that the stakes weren't very high, the groups didn't become terrified to sing live, and their vocals were just fine.

were the standards just much lower? now it seems like if a group has a couple of bad performances or even encores where someone maybe have a voice crack or does poorly (ie twice, now fromis, among others), the entire group gets written off as terrible vocalists. but there's also this narrative that vocal standards have actually gone down, that none of these group members can sing, and have to rely on lip syncing to get away with it.

idk it's odd watching these live performances where idols don't sound incredible but it wasn't a big deal then, whereas now, those groups would probably be annihilated for daring to be otherwise.

what do you think? have standards gone up or have they gone down?

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• not singing live doesn't always mean the standards are lower.

sometimes people expect more than what is realistic and that also leads to more groups not singing live because they don't want to face backlash

• not singing live doesn't always mean the standards are lower.

sometimes people expect more than what is realistic and that also leads to more groups not singing live because they don't want to face backlash

yeah idk that's just something i've seen where people say that idols aren't even expected to be decent singers anymore like in the past and they have to rely on heavy autotune, loud backtracks, and outright lip syncing to do performances.

ɪ

• I would say 3rd gen had more outstanding vocalists but the weakest singer in 3rd gen groups are often worse than the weakest singer in 4th gen groups. Now group members are more close to eachothers level, less idols who are called filler members. Of course there's many exceptions tho

• I think you’d have to compare group by group and not by “generation”. Because most of Shinee’s members were proper singers, while then only one in 2PM had a killer voice.

And then I would think the singing abilities, or lack of, of members from Kara, T-ara, 4Minute are comparable to some groups today…. so….

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• I think you’d have to compare group by group and not by “generation”. Because most of Shinee’s members were proper singers, while then only one in 2PM had a killer voice.

And then I would think the singing abilities, or lack of, of members from Kara, T-ara, 4Minute are comparable to some groups today…. so….

well that's what i'm saying, that while there's always some standout idols, most groups aren't really much better than groups now vocal wise. it's less about their ability, group by group, and more about the expectations that are placed on them and if people were more forgiving for any mistakes or lack of ability in the past because there was less expectation of perfection vs now where a lot of groups or their companies refuse to have them sing live because even small mistakes can be blown out of proportion and possibly damage the group's image

ɪ

• The problem is that we’re too used to perfect vocals nowadays groups lip sync, use pre recorded live, backstack or even the live performances are edited, you can barely flaws. So if an idol starts singing people will drag for not meeting the exceptions.

expectations of fans or the general public was more what i meant when i said "standards" lol not necessarily the standards set by their company when they're choosing members.

like, people believe that the actual vocal standards are lower because of whatever reason. or people in the past had lower expectations so their "standards" for a good vocal performance of were much lower. maybe my original post is kinda confusing but 🤷🏻‍♀️

ɪ

• well that's what i'm saying, that while there's always some standout idols, most groups aren't really much better than groups now vocal wise. it's less about their ability, group by group, and more about the expectations that are placed on them and if people were more forgiving for any mistakes or lack of ability in the past because there was less expectation of perfection vs now where a lot of groups or their companies refuse to have them sing live because even small mistakes can be blown out of proportion and possibly damage the group's image

Honestly people were critical of live singing then also. I know MR videos were popular back then and groups like T-ara and Kara were always made fun of. It’s just the kpop fandom is much bigger now and with more active groups so it seems like there is heavier pressure.

Also it depends how individual members are marketed. Back in the “2nd gen” many idols were marketed a certain way so whether their voice cracked on stage didn’t really destroy their image. Like Uee and Taecyeon were brandss as hot idols with nice bodies so people didn’t really care whether they can sing…

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

• Imo vocals have certainly gone down. 2G had more live singing (though there was still LS) but also groups and idols back then already recognised as good singers and its only become more apparent in hindsight when compared to 3G and 4G groups.

regarding LS i think the key difference is that in 2g it was used occasionally and mostly for understandable reasons because of having to promote on multiple shows for weeks or months on end plus various other schedules like TV would would put a lot of strain on voices. Whereas in recent years it’s become the defacto standard way of promoting. Like looking through the hundreds of music show perfs over the last few years and more than likely you’ll pick one that is LS. Even special events like gayo are LS which kinda lessens it’s impact. what’s the point of a special end of year event if it’s no different than any music show episode you’ve seen a hundred times through the year?

• Imo vocals have certainly gone down. 2G had more live singing (though there was still LS) but also groups and idols back then already recognised as good singers and its only become more apparent in hindsight when compared to 3G and 4G groups.

regarding LS i think the key difference is that in 2g it was used occasionally and mostly for understandable reasons because of having to promote on multiple shows for weeks or months on end plus various other schedules like TV would would put a lot of strain on voices. Whereas in recent years it’s become the defacto standard way of promoting. Like looking through the hundreds of music show perfs over the last few years and more than likely you’ll pick one that is LS. Even special events like gayo are LS which kinda lessens it’s impact. what’s the point of a special end of year event if it’s no different than any music show episode you’ve seen a hundred times through the year?

Besides the lipsyncing, Gayos in general have gone down hill. It’s all the same performances from weekly music shows just with a bigger stage.

Atleast back then companies would regularly work together for Gayos to put together collab performances between multiple groups.

• Besides the lipsyncing, Gayos in general have gone down hill. It’s all the same performances from weekly music shows just with a bigger stage.

Atleast back then companies would regularly work together for Gayos to put together collab performances between multiple groups.

Yeah that too. Gayos have gone ddownhill.

I'm basically a boomer now lol. Everything was better in my day :pepe-comfy:

• This boomer has some interesting YT content. Here is a good vid about how modern "vocals" are made. Pitch correction software has made modern vocals irrelevant. Soulless computers now make it so you can sing literally any note and the software just instantaneously shifts whatever note you sing to the correct pitch.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Voice crack? Bish where? Where is the crack when nowadays singing live isn't even a must?

At least last time 2nd Gen even if you sound like a dying horse you still need to sing and actually do your job

If anything I say the standards are lower because fans gives 473747347 excuses for their faves voice cracks and lipsync.

If anyone got dragged for their vocals is not because of vocal standards being higher, it is because cancel culture is more prevalent now.

Hyolyn and Ailee duo outsing the entire 4th Gen vocal efforts combined x10

• I don’t know why people think that lipsync has increased. It actually seems more that groups sing live except a few exceptions like comebacks or a few groups but a lot of rookies are singing live

• Were you on fan communities back then? Because voice flaws were always criticized before too. However I can’t remember encores being worse than the actual performance like some encores now. Because back then the backtracks on the actual performances were less heavy, had less processing etc.. so encores were not much different from stage to make a big deal out of. Idols rarely sing raw live without editing or lip-syncing.

I see more fans glorifying average vocalists now than in the past. If an idol sang any line live without messing up, they would get praised to hell over it.

lt64IYu.gif

• This boomer has some interesting YT content. Here is a good vid about how modern "vocals" are made. Pitch correction software has made modern vocals irrelevant. Soulless computers now make it so you can sing literally any note and the software just instantaneously shifts whatever note you sing to the correct pitch.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

yeah! i've played around with melodyne when recording stuff. it's pretty incredible how pitch correction works.

ɪ

• Yeah that too. Gayos have gone ddownhill.

I'm basically a boomer now lol. Everything was better in my day :pepe-comfy:

lol speaking if lipsyncing

External Content youtu.be

Mir and some of the maknaes here didn’t even bother hiding the fact they weren’t singing live. :pepe-sad: :pepe-joy:

• I think 2nd gen were more used to singing live so they didn't get as nervous and self conscious. Also since there were more live performances you could tell when they were having a bad day or a good day. However now when a rare occasion a group sings live and doesn't deliver, people assume they just can't sing cause there's nothing to compare to, when the bad performance could be because of many factors.

Also 2nd gen did get critism for bad vocal performances but they could recover on their next live and show they improved

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!