I feel melon won’t recover from this scandal and that Spotify will take over eventually.

• Well? 29

1. Yea Melon won’t survive that’s a lot of money... yikes (6) 21%
    2. Another Reach. think they can survive the bad seed is out of the company now (20) 69%
    3. They won’t survive but it probably Flo that will make it to the top (3) 10%

If not Spotify DEFINITELY FLO they were at melon neck all last year.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• What happened?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

Nope. You really think Koreans are going to drop a platform with IU in favor of a platform without IU? :confused:

Even with all the chart manipulation, sajaegi scandals in 2018/2019, Melon still lived on. People will always favor domestic platforms compared to international platforms lmao.

That person was the former CEO of Melon iirc, but it's not hard to understand why big companies like BH, YG, JYP, etc want their own platform with all this going on.

• There are so many spotify stans on this site... I swear every other week I read stuff about the downfall of melon. I doubt this will change anything, melon will likely keep having the highest marketshare or lose a bit to other domestic platforms, koreans support their own stuff. It's probably also cheaper

• Nope. You really think Koreans are going to drop a platform with IU in favor of a platform without IU? :confused:

Even with all the chart manipulation, sajaegi scandals in 2018/2019, Melon still lived on. People will always favor domestic platforms and that's the truth.

Well I can’t speak for a whole country but melon been on the decline, and considered how this is literal criminal activity I can only assume it will put in more of a decline

• Well I can’t speak for a whole country but melon been on the decline, and considered how this is literal criminal activity I can only assume it will put in more of a decline

The only way spotify can succeed in south korea is if they manage to get better licensing for korean artists (korean people prefer to listen to korean artists over western artists) and they make their subscription cheaper than domestic platforms (currently it's more expensive). take a look at what happened to apple music.

For kpop fandoms especially, spotify would need to be added to instiz and/or some kind of annual award show - otherwise fandoms will still prefer to stream on domestic platforms for the RAK/CAK/PAK + annual awards.

at the same time, this forum's over-importance given to melon is a little misplaced. since melon's market share is declining, it's much better to look at overall ichart position (or at least combination melon/flo/genie daily charts) for domestic song performance.

• Spotify in korea will be the same as in japan, perhaps even less relevant since they took quite a while to release and not only their domestic stuff but apple music and yt music seem to have garnered decent popularity. Now add to that what itiswhatitisss said about IU among other artists not being available there and spotify will never be a serious contender

• As long as Spotify won't have Kakao M artists, it won't succeed. The worst that may happen is that people will move from Melon to other Korean streaming platforms. But this scandal has been out for some time and people still use Melon.

• many k-onces moved off MelOn from the end of 2018 (after that scandal) and tbh the site has been declining in its market share in recent times in general.

yall have to remember that all these streaming services in korea are all paid only so that could definitely move some of them onto a free/paid service like Spotify, especially with more situations surfacing like these

• many k-onces moved off MelOn from the end of 2018 (after that scandal) and tbh the site has been declining in its market share in recent times in general.

yall have to remember that all these streaming services in korea are all paid only so that could definitely move some of them onto a free/paid service like Spotify, especially with more situations surfacing like these

spotify does not provide a free option in south korea like in other countries.

• The ULs will drop for a while but everything will be back to normal in a few weeks. Also IU’s discography isn’t on spotify in korea, there is no way they’re moving to spotify

• This has been known for years by now, this is just news of the verdict. It will affect nothing, also it was the CEO stealing money from the company itself basically, and it was if i recall correctly done before Kakao took over melon, it was kakao that reported this when the books didn't seem to be correct after they bought loen/melon.

Spotify also didn't manage to get licenses to any of the music distributed by Kakao (melon), as long as they don't have that they are doomed to failure (no IU on Spotify korea for example), just like Apple music which have nothing to show at all for the 4-5 years its been operating there. Like Spotify they have agreements with jyp, sm, yg etc, but not kakao, the biggest distributor of korean music.

The only way spotify can succeed in south korea is if they manage to get better licensing for korean artists (korean people prefer to listen to korean artists over western artists) and they make their subscription cheaper than domestic platforms (currently it's more expensive). take a look at what happened to apple music.

For kpop fandoms especially, spotify would need to be added to instiz and/or some kind of annual award show - otherwise fandoms will still prefer to stream on domestic platforms for the RAK/CAK/PAK + annual awards.

at the same time, this forum's over-importance given to melon is a little misplaced. since melon's market share is declining, it's much better to look at overall ichart position (or at least combination melon/flo/genie daily charts) for domestic song performance.

Melon is declining sure, but still by far the biggest service in the country, and also the only thing people and artist themselves care about when it comes to charting. If you cant hit #1/rank in top 10 on melon it doesn't matter whatever you manage on the other charts basically.

Instiz is worthless as a measurement (with the exception of the top 2-3), their whole point system needs to be remade, especially after the chart reforms last year.

Gaon is where it's at, and it will basically reflect the melon chart to 90% or more.

Edited 4 times, last by Kreatin ().

• Melon lost another 5% in market share last year. They're down to only 30% now.

Melon isn't dying. It's dead.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• Meanwhile, Lee Sooman need to pay 18 mln USD of taxes which he should do long time ago but no one is canceling SM xD

by the way, this is info about 3 former workers - CEO, and 2 vp's if I'm remembering well.

This isn't the case like in some other situations because here they weren't owners of MelOn, they were just CEO's

External Content www.youtube.com

• Melon lost another 5% in market share last year. They're down to only 30% now.

Melon isn't dying. It's dead.

Last estimations I've seen on market share places melon at 32-34%. Ofc none really knows the exact numbers.

Declining? yes, as it has been for the last 5 years or so.

Dead? How? It's still by far the largest music service in Korea, almost twice the share of genie, which is second.

And the loss of market share doesn't necessarily equal loss of subscribers, as the market is growing in total..at least until 2020 and covid that is, for the past year streams and downloads are way down on all the services, not just melon, as is evident when looking at gaon data and its huge drop in digital points.

• External Content twitter.com

Melon definitely has declined a lot but I still dont see it losing it's relevance completely.[/media]

• Last estimations I've seen on market share places melon at 32-34%. Ofc none really knows the exact numbers.

Declining? yes, as it has been for the last 5 years or so.

Dead? How? It's still by far the largest music service in Korea, almost twice the share of genie, which is second.

And the loss of market share doesn't necessarily equal loss of subscribers, as the market is growing in total..at least until 2020 and covid that is, for the past year streams and downloads are way down on all the services, not just melon, as is evident when looking at gaon data and its huge drop in digital points.

It's dead. The trajectory says it is. They've lost almost half their marketshare. Genie and FLO have lost users too. The only music platforms growing in Korea are YouTube Music and VIBE.

We're also seeing labels place less importance on domestic charts. All major music labels have hinted at global expansion and creating their own platforms, which is why music shows' days are numbered as well. YG/BH/Naver seem to be building their own platforms...both for performance (the new Venew) and streaming (YG and Naver own VIBE).

This isn't 2012, success is measured differently.

Music labels have all figured out you can make more money internationally than in Korea. They keep targeting Japan, Korea and the US.

With Korea having a population only slightly larger than California and with Melon only having a 30% marketshare...we're talking 5 million users? Maybe 7. It's why no one hits 1 million ULs in the first 24 hours anymore, even though it used to routinely happen...not enough users.

The importance isn't there anymore. Particularly when you have a country next door with 3x the population and market...Japan.

In China you don't even have to be popular to make more money than Korea.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

Edited once, last by Blue2012 ().

• so would you agree gauging song popularity only by what's charting in melon top 10 as outdated?

• Nope. You really think Koreans are going to drop a platform with IU in favor of a platform without IU? :confused:

Even with all the chart manipulation, sajaegi scandals in 2018/2019, Melon still lived on. People will always favor domestic platforms compared to international platforms lmao.

That person was the former CEO of Melon iirc, but it's not hard to understand why big companies like BH, YG, JYP, etc want their own platform with all this going on.

The Korean tendency to treat IU as someone much more equal than other singers harms KPop a lot, including this

• lets be real. Spotify and youtube music will gain market shares as time goes by while Melon continue to lose listeners. Years ago, no one would've thought melon could drop to 30+% markt share with youtube music gaining as much as 15%

There will be a time where IU will move to spotify too. Just like Taylor swift. You cant boycott a popular platform because of one popular artist.

• This thread contains 7 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!