Feeling Too Old for Kpop?

• Yes i was thinking about this topic today actually, i started listening to J-Pop when i was in highschool and that was back in 2011 at that time most idols were older than me and then i started seeing idols around my age debut and know these new idols are 10 years younger than me or more sometimes i wonder if it's time to quit kpop but to be honest i really enjoy the music that these idols put a lot of them have a unique sound to them that i really enjoy

• I got into K pop in 2011 through my daughter who was nine at the time. I was forty three - quite old to be getting into K pop. I will be forty four this year so if you do your maths that's eleven years of being a fan. Quite a long time. I have answered this question many times and although music can be for all age groups, K pop is mainly a genre for younger fans and I do feel a little embarrassed being so old here. Some of you might think you're too old for it in your twenties or thirties, but that's still quite young and a normal age. I have often thought of giving it away and listen to more "age appropriate" music. My daughter only has sixty K pop songs in her playlist and she's the one who introduced me to it. Once Aespa and BTS decline, I think that's when I'll call it quits.

• I don't think you can be really too old for kpop. I am 13 rn(soon to turn 14) and I was 12(2020) when I started liking kpop. And damn, time does fly by fast lol.

I think it might help if you started listening to older kpop artists. Like you old faves.

• You can't be older than me, I'm fifty four this year. I think I'm the second oldest here.

• Kpop is just a pop music genre that provides extra content to the point it can become a hobbie imo

I get what you mean about watching idols younger than you (I'm on my mid-20s), but still, these kids are talented, Kpop is fun and I still couldn't find any other pop industry that makes as excited and dedicated than Kpop.

• I listen to that music since 12 years and I don't even really feel old since I am just in my 20s.

I met people online who listen to it way longer and are older. I think the craziest I found was some dude almost 40 who said he got into KPop in 1999

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• i have a friend that got in when she was 9, she's turning 19 this year. she's been around the same time as you lol

as for me, i only got into kpop in like 2017, but its been almost 5 years???

• I was 16 or 17 when I started in kpop and I went through a spell in college (partly tied to who I was dating) of thinking "I was too old for kpop." I returned with a healthier perspective..

For starters, you can just enjoy the music without participating in any of the fandom stuff. No one says you have to mass stream or watch the videos multiple times or vote for music shows and award shows. You can just enjoy the music and/or the social/digital/TV content.

Mostly though, I see it the same way people feel about Marvel or their favorite team. There are people who love Marvel and get excited about the newest Marvel movie, the lore attached to it and what's happening next. They can tell you what that easter egg is and what that cliffhanger means. And then there are other people who just like the whiz bang and just like to enjoy the movies as a bit of fun.

There are people who love their fave sports team - some get excited about every stat and detail and have fantasy teams, while others just watch the game and root for their fave without digging any deeper.

Kpop is the same way. You can engage the way you want to engage. My mom had a really good piece of advice: "If it's something you enjoy and you're not hurting yourself or anyone else, where's the problem?"

At the end of the day, just like Marvel or a football team, if it's something you enjoy (that isn't harmful), just do it.

I'm 24 btw. FWIW, the last kpop concert I went to I met several fans (shawols) who were my mom's age and they were some of the coolest, happiest ladies around.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I’m not saying this to brag but I’m into kpop for closer to 20 years. I took a break from Kpop around your age too for the same reason. Then I got back into it once I start working.

The transition period is definitely weird ~ like you described. But when you get to the point that almost if not all idols are younger than you by default it’s a different feeling. It’s like you don’t care and you don’t think about it at all. It’s also might be that when you older you may enjoy kpop from a different perspective than when you are younger. I took kpop way too personal before. Now I just enjoy it like I enjoy other forms of entertainment.

• Nah...

It's all related to our beliefs. Why do we have to put a deadline to something that makes us happy just cuz we are kinda feeling "old"?

I have noticed that some people drop their likes because they are afraid of being seen childish and then they start to put a mask of a more "adult" and "mature" persona. That's a betrayal for the heart and it feels fake and disgusting.

Having a certain age does not mean that you are gonna to leave aside what you enjoy.

There's no necessity of being a killjoy.

I started to like k-pop around my 15/16 I think. Now I'm 22. :')

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!