Does anyone think SM destroyed their market in Japan

• jyp does well in the japanese market with twice.

i think treasure does ok as well. BP does pretty well to i think. (YG)

hybe's doing great ofc

i thing with sm will do well with promotion. plus isn't tvxq still killing it in japan lol.

• They shifted their focus on the West and on China now cause they realize the latter brings more money

But anything can happen. Who knows they'll get back to Japan and debut Aespa there since the group is getting more attention in the country

• There groups like tvxq,shinee,snsd weret he ones who ruled kpop share of the japaneese market .But right now its mostly Hybe .Can SM regain its market ? Can Hybe maintain its market?

Right now HYBE controls the BG's and JYP controls the GG's. All 4 of HYBE's boy groups are in the top 100 Artists of the year and all 3 of JYP's girl groups are also in the top 100 as well. SM has unfortunately no one in the top for this year. TVXQ didn't make the top 100. As for SM regaining the market. I'm actually wondering if GOT added BoA specifically for that reason. She was and still remains very popular in Japan even more so than SNSD was. This is a great way for SM to get back into the Japanese market after being absent for a fair amount of time.

• While TVXQ is very popular in Japan they didn't really do anything this year and so didn't make any kind of buzz. Treasure did okay but still didn't make the top 100 artists in Japan. Blackpink did though and were #51. In comparison HYBE as #1, #32, #52, and #57 on billboard japan. JYP got #5, #11, and #61 with actually NiziU leading the pack for JYP.

• While TVXQ is very popular in Japan they didn't really do anything this year and so didn't make any kind of buzz. Treasure did okay but still didn't make the top 100 artists in Japan. Blackpink did though and were #51. In comparison HYBE as #1, #32, #52, and #57 on billboard japan. JYP got #5, #11, and #61 with actually NiziU leading the pack for JYP.

wow sm is lagging behind then

• Yeah. They moved on from Japan to China when kpop was basically being cockblocked in Japan. The move made money in the long term but yeah as a result pretty much ditched Japan rather than keeping their options open.

• Japan can bring more money then China 99% of the time because of touring. That's where the most money comes from. COVID stopped that but when things open up again that will change

• SM did destroyed their japanese market, not sure if destroyed is the right word but all big companies left them behind, didn't even tried with Exo which could had done well and they are insanely inconsistent with RV, actually have no idea what they are doing with RV in japan, release one random unpromoted album there, never step in JPN again or promote somewhere online, then release another album after like 1 year and half and now after 3 years of no promotions, they random release a full album lmao, 127's music and concept isn't popular there, a bit weird they were the unit they pushed there, Dream could had worked better in Japan, maybe because they have a jpn member, probably will try with Shotaru's new unit again

• Japan can bring more money then China 99% of the time because of touring. That's where the most money comes from. COVID stopped that but when things open up again that will change

But chinese fanbase are no kidding when comes to bulkbuying, plus there are many CF opportunities back then in China (unlike now, only non-korean can get deals).

Has any group been big in both China and Japan at the same time? Snsd? Big bang?

• Right now HYBE controls the BG's and JYP controls the GG's. All 4 of HYBE's boy groups are in the top 100 Artists of the year and all 3 of JYP's girl groups are also in the top 100 as well. SM has unfortunately no one in the top for this year. TVXQ didn't make the top 100. As for SM regaining the market. I'm actually wondering if GOT added BoA specifically for that reason. She was and still remains very popular in Japan even more so than SNSD was. This is a great way for SM to get back into the Japanese market after being absent for a fair amount of time.

forgot abt JYP completly....yah there GGs r rocking

• did it?? without touring and alll

Did what? The move to China?

If so then probably it was a good move financially. Exo was getting multi million sellers with China and as we've seen across the board kpop sales have exploded because of China. NCT is now selling the most of any SM group ever and even rookies like Aespa are putting up huge numbers.

Touring in Japan likely brought in just as much if not more money (SNSD for example had like the five biggest grossing gg tours in history because of Japan) but that requires cost and timing to set up and continue whereas an album is record, stock and let it everyone buy it.

• Did what? The move to China?

If so then probably it was a good move financially. Exo was getting multi million sellers with China and as we've seen across the board kpop sales have exploded because of China. NCT is now selling the most of any SM group ever and even rookies like Aespa are putting up huge numbers.

Touring in Japan likely brought in just as much if not more money (SNSD for example had like the five biggest grossing gg tours in history because of Japan) but that requires cost and timing to set up and continue whereas an album is record, stock and let it everyone buy it.

china has banned kpop right?

There is a reason HYBE has producing artists or lyricists. Most of the time, you don't win by selling an album. you must pay the producer, writer, distributor, royalties. etc.

• NCT 127 performs great in Japan

Yes forgot about NCT 127 when I was looking them up the top 100 artists. They are ranked at #80. That still puts them at the very bottom of the KPOP company lists that ranked in the top artist 100 and they are the only group from SM. That is not saying they are bad as they are ahead of some pretty serous Japanese groups like some of the Exile tribe groups and SKE48.

Yet we don't know if that's a good idea in a long term. China can literally banning kpop out of sudden and what they pull this year probably just the beginning of the idea. Koreans idol cannot doing Cf anymore in China now if I'm not mistaken. Some even said, music in China sales cheaper, which I don't really know about that. Japan always better in term of album sales and touring, they're the second biggest market in music for that particular reason too. That's the probably why other companies didn't really targeting that market anymore. Hybe just give up with them when their media and politics trying to drag Bts yet Bts still doing really well there.

And that's why I think Sm trying even harder to get the Us market now with Superm, Nct Hollywood and starting to promote in America shows as they know how unstable China market. And I do think they make GOT with BoA to build back their name in Japan as she is still relatively popular there.

• There is a reason HYBE has producing artists or lyricists. Most of the time, you don't win by selling an album. you must pay the producer, writer, distributor, royalties. etc.

Idk about other groups, aside from album sales, TXT got Japanese brand deals, perform in music shows and feature in a lot of magazines. That's the advantage from Japan promo. I hope they can do touring in Japan next year, sixtones already held concerts this year...

• Japan is the market where more money is to be made, not China and this is without touring too. Japan is the 2nd biggest music market in the world for a reason.

BTS made 160mn USD from Japan this year just off album sales, if they had toured that would have been another 100mn USD off of Japan alone.

You do not even need to tour to make money of Japan. This was 2021 without touring. Its cause everything is more expensive in Japan.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yet we don't know if that's a good idea in a long term. China can literally banning kpop out of sudden and what they pull this year probably just the beginning of the idea. Koreans idol cannot doing Cf anymore in China now if I'm not mistaken. Some even said, music in China sales cheaper, which I don't really know about that. Japan always better in term of album sales and touring, they're the second biggest market in music for that particular reason too. That's the probably why other companies didn't really targeting that market anymore. Hybe just give up with them when their media and politics trying to drag Bts yet Bts still doing really well there.

And that's why I think Sm trying even harder to get the Us market now with Superm, Nct Hollywood and starting to promote in America shows as they know how unstable China market. And I do think they make GOT with BoA to build back their name in Japan as she is still relatively popular there.

Yeah China is still a very volatile market and of course Japan is much more accessible and stable. Buy SM decided to make a huge gamble and in the short term it paid off but long term who knows.

I agree that SM is clearly targeting the west for even more of that sweet sweet money but the problem is there don't have any solid route in. None of their groups currently have much appeal and with Sperm they basically had to cheat the system (bundles, texting fans to buy etc) to gain a decent amount. However restoring to tactics like basically means no true progress was made, it was artificially inflated. 1 step forward, 1 step back.

I think the best they could be do is probably stick to focusing on Asia and if anyone catches some wind in the west, likely Aespa, then take that opportunity. Except the problem is back to the topic at hand, they fucked up in Japan and it's going to be really hard to get back in there. TVXQ can do it, Boa likely, SNSD are broken currently but I think can pull off some magic if they ever go back, Suju maybe, RV can't, Exo hasn't made a dent, NCT is I don't know what the fuck is up with them and Aespa is too early.

• With people saying china is more profitable than japan: :pepewhat:

Japan is the 2nd biggest music market in the world for a reason. Plus fans tend to stay loyal so you have a long lasting career. Album sales and bulk buying is great but concerts are where the money is. And currently idols can't tour in china. The reason why tvxq, jyj, j-jun, and shinee can still make a lot of money is the Japanese market. The American market is very fickle and once you fade out you won't last long for the most part. Artists can only sell stadiums for so long before they fade out. However shinee still had a total of 539k for 29 shows in 2017. So about 18.6k per show. They are in their 13th year and can still sell that well. Even JB is struggling to sell his tickets right now. American popularity fades and with that so does an artists' selling power. jnp fandoms tend to be more permanent and will allow you to still sell out arenas even if your prime has passed.

If I say anything incorrect please correct me and I will edit my comment accordingly. I'm also very sarcastic so please don't take anything I say to heart.

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!