Companies that only focus on promoting the group as a whole (without individual activities), are they doing it right?

• Obviously a mixed of both group activities and individual activities is the best, but we have seen some groups barely getting any individual activities as the company focus on promoting the group as a whole.

Since most groups don't last forever, do you think the companies that don't focus on individual activities are doing right by giving priority only to the group activities? :whatr:

• It’s good in the beginning since you are starting out and building your group’s brand name but at a certain point in their careers, promoting as a full group and opting out solo activities doesn’t seem realistic anymore.

The public only knows the group but what does it do outside of that? Nothing. It hinders your chances at building on your brand and image away from the group. Potential solo deals and offers gone because the company declined them in favour for the group.

tumblr_nzies3E9yh1uf1itwo1_500.gif

LORD & SAVIOR PARK JIHYO | ITZY | YUKIKA | RUANN | | TWICE | BRAVE GIRLS | APRIL | FROMIS_9 | TOMMY FEBRUARY6

• Depends, I guess. One strategy will work for one group, and won't work for another.

I'd say they are especially important in groups with a lot of members - because you know everyone is unforunately not going to have a career after the group disbanded so the ones who want to keep going need some solo promo.

• Depends on what you think the group's shelf life is, I suppose. Keep in mind that SNSD's first sub-unit (TTS) was only formed in their 6th year, and Taeyeon only had her solo debut after 8 years. CL of 2NE1 only had her solo debut in her 6th year. Similarly, Ye Eun, Yubin and Sunmi of the Wonder Girls had solo debuts in their 6th year after the Wonder Girls' debut. TWICE is in their 6th year now, and we're starting to see more solo and unit efforts. (Though technically, there have always been small solo projects throughout TWICE career - like Jihyo's 5-song solo mini-concert in their third year - it just gets drowned out by the international fans' passionate-but-misinformed narrative of "pity-our-poor-girls-whose-company-doesn't-give-them-opportunities")

• If they remain only part of the group and are promoted as X member from X, this almost zeroes their chances of leaving the company in the future and starting a solo career under their own name. Because nobody knows them when they are not associated with their group's name. This is almost like building a career from scratch. Group promotion is good until they reach a certain reputation in the their career, but I think they should also include solo work afterwards.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• No because at the end of the day these groups are made up of individuals who have their own aspirations and goals in their lives. Let them fly and spread their wings while also maintaining a strong nest (group activities).

• It doesn't even make sense from a company point of view. What are they going to do after the group disbands? Throw away all their investment? If they have solo career they can keep making money for the company.

• From a company stand point it's the right thing because without individual recognition, there is a chance there won't be that many offers from other companies when it gets close to their renewal so it makes it more likely for them to resign with the company if they want to continue since a solo career without that preestablished work is risky.

From an idol stand point it's really bad because unless you're a major fan of the group, most people probably don't know who you are. It makes the group lack individuality which can make them super boring to people.

Yup, I think that's why some companies prefer group activities better but I don't know how it's beneficial for the companies in the long run as well since barely all members of any group stay together till the end.

• Interesting question. I think if you're not doing both, you're missing a tremendous opportunity. Group activities are important, particularly for a group that's starting out, but the individual activities can attract interest OR set up potential for an extended career (and more money from the company) outside it. For example, people who were not into EXO may have enjoyed Suho's more ballad-focused, mellow solo release. Or, thinking about my own behavior, a solo or sub-unit may bring someone in to check out the larger group. Like I wasn't interested in Pentagon (just not my style of music), but I heard "Swim Good" from Hui and LOVED IT and went to check out Pentagon songs - which gets into the other problem of getting people interested in the solo work and then the group work is nothing like that. (See also me loving the Sana-Moonbin subunit songs and thinking maybe I had misjudged Astro and they had more like that...and certainly if I am wrong on both counts, please point me in the right direction for similar material.)

Another example of solo/subunit work bringing others into groups is the way NCT has been using this concept in the Resonance work. Having Xioajun prominently in Make A Wish and Ten feature everywhere seems to have interested people more in WayV ahead of their upcoming cb. The members that are best on variety (like Haechan, Doyoung and Jungwoo) have been used to again raise the profile of the group separately from the entire group. I think the main challenge from a business perspective is that when you push specific members for specific purposes, fans get mad that their faves are not getting the same attention.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I think its good to have group activites more in the early years and go on with some solo stuff later while a group is still at their peak rather than going solo when their hype is already gone and then eventaully flop

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!