It’s boring if the act with most digitals wins awards when the top 3-5 is close competition

• I agree.

Awards that rely strictly on numbers are very boring and predictable. As long as the marge of error isn't huge, i don't see the controversy in not awarding the absolute number 1. we have judges for a reason. MMA was a good example of this i guess.

For me MMA has always been most fair. And yet people complain so much about it. Including eggsols but yeah :pepepizza:

• Yes, when there is real time data on consumption - digital/physical. It is pointless to go by them.

But so is fan voting.

Perhaps the better model would be to use Digital-ULs for nomination eligibility with a reasonable threshold, so more acts are eligible and then use only judges to decide.

But award shows have to be profit viable, so will have to cater to fans, so maybe have fan voting as another factor for nomination eligibility.

As is, Gaon maybe boring, but at least it is consistent with actual consumption and more transparent.

Then KMAs with emphasis on judges and not trapped into Kpop, is more credible.

Then GDA - at least not directly having conflict of interest with Kpop company

then MAMA, MMAs

• There are good points for both systems of awarding. That's why there are multiple award shows with varying criteria. Tbh it would be boring if all award shows were made to follow one specific style of deciding award winners.

• If you count international stats lol the winner is clear It’s GAON CHART not melon music award or mama.

If you want to look at an award show which doesn’t count sales then there is Korean music award but since barely any idols win no one cares lol

People care about KMA. It doesn’t have a lot of idol performances that’s why it gets less traction. But yes indeed KMAs are great.

• People will say it’s rigged when their faves didn’t win, if we went by charts or give prizes to whoever ranked #1 more people wouldn’t be happy and hardly ever idol groups would win, if we went by streams alone people would complain about fandoms mass streaming and winning, they do what they think it’s fair and everyone that decides to watch it now so?? If you don’t like it and want something that goes only by numbers just watch Gaon chart awards and start hyping it up. Reminds me of people saying Grammy is prestigious but calling it biased once their faves aren't nominated or win (and just to be clear this has nothing to do with being happy over people winning awards).

• this is a weird take to me bc artists aren't getting awards for your entertainment. they're being awarded for their achievements. the person who deserves to win deserves to win regardless of how "boring" that is to you.

who's your favorite artist?

• Not at least you can’t rig Gaon but I don’t like how they only count the first 5 weeks for example will not take sotm because it didn’t start strong unlike butter

and KG will win over Itzy because his fans mass downloaded and itzy got only 3 days of tracking on its first week which is unfair

Gaon counts the first 30 days for their awards, not 5 weeks, so it doesnt matter when in the week/tracking period(tracking period for their normal weekly chart) a song is released. But i agree, its not a perfect system. Certain songs get left out, but somewhere there must also be limit to how long they track them.

One easy step gaon could take is to simply remove downloads altogether from their calculations.

• but doesn't each award show have different criteria?

like GDA is different from MMA which is different from MAMA which is different from AAA which is different from KMA etc etc...

so without me knowing exactly which award show has which criteria aren't there certain shows that are purely numbers based and others mixed and others attendance based and etc etc??

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!