Why japanese dramas and movies don't get as much as hype as korean dramas and movies?

• I am not very japanese drama/movie enthusiast but i have watched several. One thing i like about japan dramas or movies is they come up with the craziest and most interesting ideas and plots. And i see lots of korean dramas that are remake of japan dramas, also i see lots of hollywood movies getting inspiration from japanese movies and mangas. Sometimes it feels unfair that japanese writers/directors come up with the most interesting plots but can't get the max profit or recognition from it. For me the reason i am not very fan of japanese drama/movie is i don't like the acting most of the time, it feels exaggerated, cringe. And i don't like makeup and styling on some characters for example Alice in Borderland Chishiya, he looks like a cosplayer, i cant consider his character seriously. :pepe-sad: And forget about plot and acting if there is some jdramas or movies with such cool handsome hot leads i would watch :pepe-flirt: but i can't find. Anyways Genji Takiya remains superior to me, Shun Oguri :pepe-simp:

tumblr_n8c9onp72Y1qgjlwxo1_500.jpg

i also like Kento Yamazaki

af063effe3a2c223961faa666c79a666c90ad668.gifv

loved him on A girl and three sweethearts and Alice in Borderland.

• Because they're not like other girls Japan doesn't try to appeal to a western audience which is stupid i would say

For me the reason i am not very fan of japanese drama/movie is i don't like the acting most of the time, it feels exaggerated, cringe. And i don't like makeup and styling on some characters for example Alice in Borderland Chishiya, he looks like a cosplayer, i cant consider his character seriously. :pepe-sad:

Japan takes a lot of inspiration form Anime and manga that's why some of the characters in dramas looks like they're doing a cosplay

• I feel like Japanese drama/film tends to seem too over the top to western audiences. Korean dramas are very unrealistic, but the acting tends more grounded than the style of Japanese dramas. I think they end up being more of an acquired taste, but there are some that are well received like many of their horror films and directors like Takashi Miike.

• Because the budget is usually very low and it's quite noticeable

Also as you said the acting is over the top

The recent live actions of popular anime or manga are just tragic :pepe-sad: Rurouni Kenshin is the only good one

Oguri Shun is soo good tho :yesr:

Sono Shion's movies are quite good but batshit crazy :teeheek: I recommend Ai no Mukidashi (Love exposure) :pepe-cross::teeheek:

• they're dramas are always batshit for some reason

Like an anime/manga compressed and more cringe ;(

There are some good dramas, but as a whole not as many iconic ones I guess

Japan excels at other stuff tho, so I think it's a fair trade.

ps. have u seen Japanese variety shows the are :melon_think::melon_think::melon_think:

• like others said, the budget and over the top acting and yes, scripts too. i tried watching a few romcoms that were highly rated on mydramalists, relationships between the main couples were always toxic af.

everyone here praised alice in the borderland, saying that it's one of the best japanese shows with a big budget but i found it boring and dropped it after 4th episode. japanese shows just aren't for me

• like others said, the budget and over the top acting and yes, scripts too. i tried watching a few romcoms that were highly rated on mydramalists, relationships between the main couples were always toxic af.

everyone here praised alice in the borderland, saying that it's one of the best japanese shows with a big budget but i found it boring and dropped it after 4th episode. japanese shows just aren't for me

like always the manga is better than the live action...it just too difficult to take a 18 volume manga and put it into a TV series :pepe-use-head:

• I feel like Japanese drama/film tends to seem too over the top to western audiences. Korean dramas are very unrealistic, but the acting tends more grounded than the style of Japanese dramas. I think they end up being more of an acquired taste, but there are some that are well received like many of their horror films and directors like Takashi Miike.

There are many that are well received by film critics. But I don't see japanese dramas/movies getting as much commercial success as korean dramas and movies. Literally the recent example would be Squid Game and Alice in Borderland.

• There are many that are well received by film critics. But I don't see japanese dramas/movies getting as much commercial success as korean dramas and movies. Literally the recent example would be Squid Game and Alice in Borderland.

squid game was promoted by Netflix right?...maybe jdramas need more promotion?

I also don't think jdramas are targeting outside audiences anyway..wheareas k-dramas do.

• Because the budget is usually very low and it's quite noticeable

Also as you said the acting is over the top

The recent live actions of popular anime or manga are just tragic :pepe-sad: Rurouni Kenshin is the only good one

Oguri Shun is soo good tho :yesr:

Sono Shion's movies are quite good but batshit crazy :teeheek: I recommend Ai no Mukidashi (Love exposure) :pepe-cross::teeheek:

I have only watched Tag from that director, it was so crazy and random but thanks to that i never get bored throughout the movie. If i am in the mood to watch crazy stuff i will check out.

• nope. but i have seen glimpse of quite few. One of it is old tv show where one man lives in empty room and wins some stuff through crosswords. Other one was about ghosts

• It's more like they just don't care to promote their jdramas much. I mean such a simple thing like their titles always are in Japanese not even bothering to give them a english title that the kdramas always get. It means it much harder to remember and talk, becasuse you don't even remember the name of the drama.......

Anyway, don't really now what kind of jdramas you have watched, because they have so many good "slice of life" dramas. I often find that jdramas has a charm that kdramas often lacks. But jdramas is bit more hit or miss, compared to kdramas that are more "average".

• squid game was promoted by Netflix right?...maybe jdramas need more promotion?

I also don't think jdramas are targeting outside audiences anyway..wheareas k-dramas do.

Yeah jdramas not targeted at international audiences but for japanese themselves and they are fine with it since they are self sufficient market. But i have thought the ones that are original series by Netflix were targeted at international market.

• There are many that are well received by film critics. But I don't see japanese dramas/movies getting as much commercial success as korean dramas and movies. Literally the recent example would be Squid Game and Alice in Borderland.

Honestly I don't really get why Squid Game blew up the way it did. Like Sweet Home didn't get nearly as much attention either. I almost feel like the shows that blow up on Netflix are super random at times. Like You was literally cancelled for poor ratings when it was on television, but is super popular on Netflix.

Was Alice in Borderland dubbed into English?

• It's more like they just don't care to promote their jdramas much. I mean such a simple thing like their titles always are in Japanese not even bothering to give them a english title that the kdramas always get. It means it much harder to remember and talk, becasuse you don't even remember the name of the drama.......

Anyway, don't really now what kind of jdramas you have watched, because they have so many good "slice of life" dramas. I often find that jdramas has a charm that kdramas often lacks. But jdramas is bit more hit or miss, compared to kdramas that are more "average".

A girl and three sweethearts

Rich Man Poor Girl

Koinaka

14 - sai no haha

Alice in Borderland

Liar Game

Chugakusei nikki

the ones i remember.

• like always the manga is better than the live action...it just too difficult to take a 18 volume manga and put it into a TV series :pepe-use-head:

i don't read mangas but unless multiple seasons weren't planned from the start it's pointless to even think about adapting them.

• i'm not surprised. if het dramas are a mess why wouldn't bl be a mess too.

thai bl's are also into that nonsense :facepalm:

i need to correct myself, i tried reading a few romcom mangas. every manga i tried started as a noncon, and it was supposed to be a romance :facepalm: . i usually drop them after the first chapter. so dissipating having such content in the 21st century.

i need to correct myself, i tried reading a few romcom mangas. every manga i tried started as a noncon, and it was supposed to be a romance :facepalm: . i usually drop them after the first chapter. so dissipating having such content in the 21st century.

I would recommend focusing on anime witb BL...they usually don't include a noncon or not that heavily although there're some exceptions ...it was like this with Dakaretai otoko as the anime was quite sweet but the manga was :pepenomad:

• Honestly I don't really get why Squid Game blew up the way it did. Like Sweet Home didn't get nearly as much attention either. I almost feel like the shows that blow up on Netflix are super random at times. Like You was literally cancelled for poor ratings when it was on television, but is super popular on Netflix.

Was Alice in Borderland dubbed into English?

I have expected it blow up but not to this extent tbh. Korean dramas are generally gaining so much attention lately. I think it is about common social issue which is poverty and debt so easier for people to relate and consider the series seriously, and it was just entertaining show to watch imo esp because of the concept. Also the marketing was quite creative and really good. I think Sweet Home appeals to more younger audiences while Squid Game appeals to wider audiences. Cus most of the main characters are middle aged people while the concept itself can attract young audiences. Idk about You, i am not very huge fan of western dramas, maybe tv watchers, netflix users are from different demograph/segment?

Yeah it was dubbed.

• After seeing May I blackmail you? I got into Dean Fujioka 's music. He was an excelent actor in that show and his music is also very good tho

f9f8ee078e0d020c0edd41d777a5e96b.jpg

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Anime overshadows almost everything else japan puts out globally, except for video games maybe. It doesnt help they base majority of movies and drama off mangas, I feel like they just dont work well outside of that realm most of the time

• Liar Game , Chugakusei nikki and Koinaka was great dramas I think. A girl and three sweethears I have on my "maybe to watch list" because of Sakurai Misaki being in it. I'm probably the only that have not seen Alice in Borderland? :P

yeah i have watched those after lots of filtering and they were good. A girl and three sweethearts was quite good also. I think Alice in Wonderland probably the most popular jdrama so far. So quite many people watched tho.

• honestly i'd rather watch anime

the whole jdrama industry is sort of overshadowed by a manga/anime industry that gives you the same sort of content in an easier to digest, nicer to look at form. i would rather be looking at characters drawn with distinct features, than real humans that end up looking similar (eg gokusen's boys were just too many and too similar for me to tell apart if i hadn't read the manga beforehand)

r o s e s   a n d   p e a c h e s

Edited once, last by ninichan ().

• I would recommend focusing on anime witb BL...they usually don't include a noncon or not that heavily although there're some exceptions ...it was like this with Dakaretai otoko as the anime was quite sweet but the manga was :pepenomad:

i don't watch anime nor i plan to. if i get into them bye, bye sleep :pepenomad:

i doubt anyone finds noncon sexy and i'd like to hear authors' explanations why do they still include it in their stories :pepenomad:

• 21th century :facepalm: don't they get they are sending the wrong message to their audience? somebody teach those authors the concept of consent and tell them to start writing about healthy relationships. also, ditch stalking, there's nothing romantic about it.

• i don't watch animes nor i plan to. if i get into them bye, bye sleep :pepenomad:

i doubt anyone finds noncon sexy and i'd like to hear authors' explanations why do they still include it in their stories :pepenomad:

this wierdly enough sums up the historical reasons

basically they rational LGBT by saying they don't like it but they must do it because they respect the other person?????????

Edited once, last by ultraaviolet ().

• External Content www.youtube.com

basically the rational LGBT by saying they don't like it but they must do it because they respect the other person?????????

it's 15 minutes long, will watch it now :)

• it's 15 minutes long, will watch it now :)

6:22 addresses the noncon aspect specifically

Its interesting how Japanese cultures clearly influences even BL manga

• External Content www.youtube.com

basically they rational LGBT by saying they don't like it but they must do it because they respect the other person?????????

this was an awesome and educational video and it was funny too. thank you for linking it :)

• this was an awesome and educational video and it was funny too. thank you for linking it :)

np...I never thought I could enjoy history so much!

I think it also explains the genderless trope in manga as well.

• Anime overshadows almost everything else japan puts out globally, except for video games maybe. It doesnt help they base majority of movies and drama off mangas, I feel like they just dont work well outside of that realm most of the time

It also dosn't really does a lot for JPop tho ...

People: "I love the opening to (Anime). The song has a great melody, so catchy"

People when they figure out who made the song: "Why is this a goddamn boygroup with gay dances where everyone looks like KPop? I didn't signed up for this shit and why the fuck does this one dude got a fucking mullet?"

....all the time

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Yeah I think Japanese are creative when it's about ideas. I remember watching a movie My Tomorrow, Your Yesterday and my mind was blown. I was only watching it because I want to watch romance movies and this one's main actor happen to be a familiar actor so I watched it but I didn't expect it to be sooo interesting plot -wise.

• Japanese always got the best ideas I have also noticed that Korea, China etc. makes a lot of remakes of Japanese originals and almost never the other way around, yet they often get more recognition which may indeed seem unfair sometimes. From the comments here it seems that most of the Jdramas or movies you've watched were anime/manga adaptations is why they look unrealistic and over the top, most of these adaptations aren't great but there are some gems if you look for them like Rurouni Kenshin movies, Liar Game series, 20th century boys movies, Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi (Erased) series were great. Besides, there are many amazing original series and moves that are not based on manga or anime I guess they just aren't popular or known outside of Japan because it's not oriented towards foreigners, they are content with the domestic market. And so are most of the production in Japan even manga and anime they almost never aim to appeal to outsiders it's just that it happened to become popular naturally, many Japanese people don't even know it's that popular elsewhere and get surprised so many foreigners love their pop culture. So when you make content for your own people of course many foreigners won't get it and that's ok, a lot of cultural knowledge and love for their culture/country is often required to understand and enjoy them. Personally I prefer Japanese production but I'm probably biased because my life/career is tightly connected to Japan and Japanese language.

• This thread contains 13 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!