4th gen has been the most infamous kpop Gen so far

• I mean… local hits might be a little different now because there are SO MANY soloists and groups left from the 3rd gen. The 2nd and 3rd gen could count on “turnover” in kpop (every seven years the contracts end and everybody is bound to have one person not sign back). Gen 4, however, came in a little earlier and with groups from gen 3 still existing with longevity (BLACKPINK and their various solos, red velvet, twice, apparently brave girls, Mamamoo and their various solos) and even IU and Taeyeon still holding strong from the gen prior. It’s much harder to establish yourself when everybody else is already established.

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• I mean… local hits might be a little different now because there are SO MANY soloists and groups left from the 3rd gen. The 2nd and 3rd gen could count on “turnover” in kpop (every seven years the contracts end and everybody is bound to have one person not sign back). Gen 4, however, came in a little earlier and with groups from gen 3 still existing with longevity (BLACKPINK and their various solos, red velvet, twice, apparently brave girls, Mamamoo and their various solos) and even IU and Taeyeon still holding strong from the gen prior. It’s much harder to establish yourself when everybody else is already established.

And further to my point, the charts aren’t the same and don’t have as much room for chart manipulation, aka girl groups ruling one half of the day and boy groups ruling the other half of the day

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• But are they just shifting their focus? It seems to me that many 4th Gen groups are just as focused on international markets as Korea and sometimes more so internationally . I’ve never seen so many Kpop acts in a constant stream on American late night talk shows in the past few years. And it’s only in the last few years that I’ve seen them on American morning shows. If you had told me that in 2016 that there would be multiple Kpop acts in the top 10 albums chart (often still singing in Korean) and that I’d see them on GMA, I would never have believed you.

The bigger question to me is if we have this global Hallyu wave that spread Kpop outside of Korea, when do we start to reconsider what success is or isn’t? Is 4th Gen when we start to reassess our metrics and KPIs? (I’m aware that Kpop remains a niche - but I think people underestimate how successful a niche can be. Country music is also a niche and it makes a shit ton of money on albums and touring.)

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• infamous would still might know which is not the case considering the big ammount of groups debuting

but each gen the gp just know less and less groups so by the time 4th gen stop promoting the new ones will be even more unknown unless smth revolutionary happen

• I think that's unfair, when 3rd generation came around 2nd generation had stopped releasing music frequently or already disbanded. Now 3rd generation is still very active and more popular than 4th generation and not every 4th generation group has debuted there's still a lot more groups to come :suure:

2015 was by far the biggest year for BigBang and possibly one of the biggest peaks of SNSD in SK. Competition was huge back then. It was still still filled with 2nd gen groups and soloists releasing hit after hit (Miss A, Sistar, AOA, IU, Shinee, etc).

Also, there's a couple of disbanded groups from 3rd gen (Got7, Gfriend) and a BIG bunch of 3rd gen groups promoting once every moon eclipse (Red Velvet, Mamamoo, Winner, Ikon, EXO, Lovelyz, Nuest,

There's no one blocking their path to the top. The only groups that currently reign the charts are Blackpink, BTS and maybe Oh My girl

• I thought every gen start when there is a groups that able to top or breaking a records from the previous one. Third gen start with Exo, and we obviously know why. Their sells and songs at that time is huge, I mean within a year they already make big achievement to be able to compete with second gen.

Tbh, I don't really know when 4th gen started, or who the benchmark. The third one still going really strong like if I'm not mistaken, it is already the fourth year of the new gen and none of their records, sales or chart is able to beat the previous gen.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!