For the first time in history, KPop's 2nd, 3rd and 4th generations are coexisting and competing for supremacy

• If you come home, and there is a woman barely older than you, who says she is your grandmother because she had married your grandpa for whatever reason and she demands obedience and respect and she gets to claim a large portion of your grandpa's large fortune, wouldn't you be angry?

aespa's Next Level reaching Melon #1 is the sign that KPop's 4th gen is finally beginning to blossom.

However, a certain 2nd Generation Singer, whose name I will omit (although since most of you know my history so won't be hard to guess), is technically the grandmother of 4th gen since she is two generations above, is still competing for supremacy, which is unknown in KPop's history because like everything the generational gap is great and in the previous ages if a new generation comes forth the old gen goes away.

Plus, the 3rd Gen acts, BTS, Seventeen, EXO, Twice , BlackPink, OhMyGirl, Red Velvet (coming back on August), OhMyGirl, and now Brave Girls (who are actually older than the last remaining 2nd Generation Act) have no intention of going away.

So , it has become a very bizarre household ; a Grandmother who is barely older (and actually sometimes younger) than the next generation; Lots of Uncles and Aunts fighting; and the up and coming New Generation.

But the Grandmother is barely older than the next gen so she can't control them, and in fact she is still jumping into the arena fighting them when she feels like.

So, the 4th Gen of Kpop not only has to deal with the 3rd Gen, who have achieved international renown, but also the 2nd Gen, whose sole remaining member also has achieved some international recognition as well.

• Butter has dominated for 31 days straight. I think it has done enough job at top? Over 700 hours at top of melon. Its common to lose top ranking at top after such long time imo!

Regarding BG. This member line joined in timeline of 3rd gen. So i guess they are more of 3rd gen

Btw its not that deep lol

Edit u meant iu lol. I read the title. Man its not that serious . She is biggest digimon in korea. Regardless of the generation

• Has not anyone called you "Senior Uaena" yet :)

But why is IU the only grandmother - there are Taeyeon, Shinee, Big Bang all still around and competing. Maybe she is the most successful in terms of charting consistently, otherwise there are quite a few 2nd gen acts around.

And her age is what makes it interesting, for that overlaps with 3rd gen.

Anyway in terms of Music, more the merrier and eventually only those which appeal to people in terms of quality will survive.

• well she looked like this 124 years old so she ages well. I presume the photo is that of IU's mother since that lacks the spot on her left cheek, which was used to identify her in her most famous photograph.2f1163fd5d594e.jpg?w=780&h=30000

The grandmother of KPOP

IU with the old filter | IU (Lee Ji Eun 아이유) Amino

• Big Bang will probably promote individually following the Seungri mess. They might join once more (4 of them), but that would be it.

Taeyeon and Shinee have moved on to veteran status.

Sunmi, Hyuna, etc are still around but they are not contending for supremacy now. Only IU remains to challenge the throne among the 2nd generation.

With three generations competing, it will be an interesting contrast.

• Yes it is interesting that SM singers respect her

Giselle's original name is Uchinaga Aeri but her mother is Korean (so she is also sometimes called Kim Aeri) so she did listen to a lot of Korean songs

• There's alot more kpop listerners nowadays so any group could theoretically get a hit song irrespective of generations

What happened is Korean society became very atomized so it is quite hard for an act to win all segments of pop. So it has become possible for three generations of KPop, plus the trottists, to coexist at the same time.

• you have to remember all these generations happen inside one decade, not like in real life while one generation last 30 years and three generations should last 90 years

• you have to remember all these generations happen inside one decade, not like in real life while one generation last 30 years and three generations should last 90 years

In KPop, generations are determined by the presence of major acts whose style are too different to be put in the same gen.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!