Do you think Hybe/Source Music intended not to resign GFriend?

• Looking at the speculation now that Hybe/Source Music are creating a group around Idols that already debuted (Izones and more). It just seems to me that this is a fortunate solution with the disbandment of GFriend.

I really do think Hybe/Source Music wanted to keep GFriend but probably at a certain price. What was offered to GFriend and what GFriend wanted was probably too far apart that they couldn't come to an agreement in the end. That is why the disbandment talk came at the end of the contract and not sometime last year.

If Hybe didn't intend to keep GFriend. Why did they integrate them into the Museum? The opening of the Museum and the confirmation of GFriend disbanding was only 4 days. GFriend was also in all the marketing of the new Building. That doesn't seem like moves that a company would do if they didn't intend to keep them.

Also not taking a side because both sides could feel they were right in the end.

• There is a lot of fudging of Source Music and it's profits. A lot of the izone members they signed had a very big fanbase that would buy what they had. Perhaps something happened with Gfriend with contract negotiations and money. It seems very sudden.

• idk I've seen some Twitter threads that have made some good points about how some things seem shady. We'll probably never actually know the circumstances.

• What I heard was that Source Music was on debt lol but nice view, I actually never thought like this and it makes sense, idk what went down but it really looked like they wanted for them to be long term (at least from HYBE's side). Could be because they wanted individual projects and SoMu wasn't planning on that?

• something shady went on indeed. where because mago was huge and they disbanded right at their peak. so something must have went wrong, I personally believe HYBE disbanded Gfriend because they wanted to replace them with their new girl group.

except mago wasnt huge... gfriend's last two releases didnt do too hot, definitely nowhere near their more popular tracks. i think the members either werent offered what they wanted and dipped or some of the members were never going to re-sign in the first place so the whole group decided to leave. it is rlly not unfathomable that it was the members who called it quits for whatever reason. hybe and source were anticipating them re-signing which is pretty obvious.

who's your favorite artist?

• Are all of gfriend girls signed with new agencies?

• I'm really curious about what went wrong. It feels like that was a last minute decision because of how the group kept saying to anticipate their comeback and hybe made them part of their museum and everything. There must be something that went down unexpectedly.

However I don't agree when people say hybe purposely disbanded them so their new girl groups wouldn't have competition. I'm sorry but gfriend wasn't going to be a competition to any new hybe girl group, the hype they would get just for being related to bighit/bts would be bigger than what gf got at their peak

• seeing yerin going for acting it seems like source allready messed up in resticting the members to much and more so made them not wanna renew.

Nevertheless something more seems wrong since they got terminated even bevor the expiration date.

When Hybe bough source and made all further decisions they also became responsible for their artist. I cant blame them for terminating the girls since groups disbanding happend all the time and we still dont know the real reasons.

But how they manage the disbandment towards gfriends fandom is a big disgrace.

Seeing how well they are able to handle their other artists it doesnt look like incompentence but just that they didnt care at all. That made me angry. im not a buddy, but no matter how popular the artists are, every fan is precious and should be treated with respect.

• Doesnt anyone else find it suspicious that Hybe literally shocked EVERYONE by dumping Gfriend in May, only to find out that Hybe will now be signing at least 2-3 Izone members for Source Music? I dont believe in coincidences.

Everyone expected Izone to be extended, then BAM, Msnake unceremoniously dumps the most successful 4th gen group in all of Kpop. PUP starts gaining momentum and hope and then BAM, Msnake suddenly drops the negotiations and says Izone wont be reunited. Meanwhile, poor members and even staff are apparently shell shocked with Gfriend's abrupt disbandment, werent there well known plans for Gfriend that were made within weeks before their disbandment?

The end result? Source jettisons their older GG and in exchange, gets 2-3 of the most popular Izone members.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!