Character Development in Idols

• What are some idols you’ve followed or noticed have changed in character overtime? What are some of the reasons? Did they change for the better or worse?

• Taemin, hands down. He used to be ashamed of his feminine looks, telling people not to call him 'pretty' and trying his best to portray the most masculine version of himself in his first two solo albums.

Fast-forward to Move, and he's openly embracing his androgynous looks, speaking about his genderless concept in interviews, and embracing makeup as a form of creative expression (rather than something thrust upon him by Kpop). I will never blame him for feeling uncomfortable with the way he was feminized, considering all the shit effeminate men have to go through, but I'm so proud of him for embracing that part of himself.

And hey, he's used it to create one of the most iconic artist personas in Kpop, so it's a win-win.

• SuJu. I have found that since they’ve come out of the Army, they’ve mellowed and matured both physically and mentally. It’s heartening to hear them on reality shows talking about wanting to get married and have a family. I think Army life has changed them for the better and are looking more relaxed in photos now.

• some of my biases:

Jinyoung, he used to be a big dork, did aegyo 24/7 and was so extra in everything. During JJP days especially, I saw him as a maknae, in every sense of the word. Now he's a mature actor, he grew a lot mentally... it's not that he's boring but he really went for the "smart and quiet" vibe. JayB used to call him kid despite being the same age, that says everything.

I mean, even his name changed lol

JayB, he himself talked about his conservative views and how much he changed, now he has an open mind and talks about his feelings a lot more, before he had a "boys don't cry" sort of thinking and now he's more comfortable with expressing his style outside of society norms

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Jungwoo, he was a really shy and nervous idol during debut (with his close friends he was a lot less quiet), to the point of crying during his debut stage and taking herbal pills for his anxiety, he was really insecure about his spot as nct member. But ever since he came back from his hiatus, he's a lot more open with fans and shows to be gaining confidence , he also talks about loving himself and how important that is, so it seems to me he's at a better place now and progressing each day, slowly losing his insecurities

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Sunmi! She was so awkward and shy back when she first started out with Wonder Girls. You could tell by her body language that she wasn't comfortable.

External Content www.youtube.com

But now she's a natural at being in front of the screen. She's charismatic and confident.

This is so cutee. I wish there was an adorable react. She was so shy but I'm glad she has grown more confident. Who would've thought she of all people was once so shy?

:pepe-sad:

Desbundar

• Aoa Mina from your average unnoticed nugu idol to bully exposing braveheart to obsessed stalker to pathological liar to attention wholesome :)

Not even Netflix characters grow this much :)

limca your damn sig I thought it was a still picture ;(

External Content youtu.be

Desbundar

• Sunmi! She was so awkward and shy back when she first started out with Wonder Girls. You could tell by her body language that she wasn't comfortable.

External Content www.youtube.com

But now she's a natural at being in front of the screen. She's charismatic and confident.

Sunmi also hated being in America and used to cry every night, so I'm sure that contributed a lot too.

• Taeyeon, she used to be more shy and keep for herself what she was thinking about now she's not afraid to say what she think and talk more openly

Hyoyeon she use to be more boyish before and be more straightforward now it seems she settle down and go for a more feminine image

I feel like Taeyeon just went back to how she was in the early days of SNSD. I mean who can forget the badass who called out an industry senior for harassing her on national TV?

• Seohyun used to very prim and proper and bit of a health freak. SNSD often basically called her a kill joy

But over the years she became much more outgoing and loosened up more. She soon became just as hectic as the rest of he remembers and sometimes is even one of the first to join in their silly shenanigans.

Hyoyeon initially started off as her normal self but within a couple years she was she was clearly left behind in terms of individual promo and lacked a lot of confidence. She even said she thought her dancing was wasted and contemplating leaving and singing wise she felt she was useless. There was even a few times whenever there was talk about what kind of careers they would have a many years later or even after SNSD and for many Hyoyeon basically was thought to have no real career post/without SNSD.

However she soon turned over a new leaf. She became a variety star, she joined many TV shows either as guest or permanent member, she had huge confidence and in recent years she has found a new acreer as a DJ and become a solo artist that can tour the world. There was even a time in I think 2016 where she was one of the top models in SNSD as she had a ton of mag shoots and beauty related jobs, this in contrast where she used to get lots of abuse for her looks in earlier days.

• Seventeen has changed a lot in general. Jeonghan even talked about struggling with the image the company gave him at debut and how he actually functions. Minghao I think is the one who struggled the most because pledis wanted him to have a cute image which just isn't how he is at all (dirty dirty jam jam haunts both him and me). Heechul on their 2nd knowing bros episode even made a joke about how different he is. I can definitely see a lot of their positive changes as they have less pressure to perform a certain image and we see their most real and natural personalities which is just normal dudes. It's why things like their TTT of getting shitfaced drunk further fueled my liking for them and made them relatable for me lmao normal 20s stuff

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!