Do Dreamcatcher have the best vocal line for bigger group?

• you clearly don't know what the fuck you're talking about, that's soo funny to me

yes projection is a great indicator of proper singing, but stableness isn't. Too much weight isn't a proper term in singing either

if you want to play the game of fake ass internet vocal coach, at least do it properly?

You say you play guitar, but what the fuck does it have to do with classical singing technique? besides the knowledge of pitch, maybe ? my friend is a pianist, does that make her a good singer ? because yeah these dc girlies have a great sense of pitch if that's what you wanna hear, which is why you think they sound so good live. But that's not enough to make them the best vocal group or anything, that's all. a ton of kpop groups have vocalists with a nice sense of pitch and stableness, but lack a proper technique. dreamcatcher and most groups in general, even my faves fit among those.

and finally, sounding "powerful" isn't a proper indicator of one's being a good singer. id rather prefer a singer with a nice technique, a solid vibrato (which siyeon doesn't have lol) good support but a softer voice than one with an improper and dangerous technique such as dami and siyeon. these could damages their vocal chords, if you really was a fan of em id suggest you to stop defending their terrible technique :)

loonapop only

Pin by ʀɪɴᴀ on LOOΠΔ | We heart it, Image, Find image

• first things off, their main vocalist siyeon has a terrible technique. her voice seems very uncontrolled and shows too much tension and throatiness when she sings, which can be dangerous for her vocal cords in the long term. furthermore, her support is weak, and her range very limited, almost inexistent. girlie cannot go higher than the 4th octave without showing tension. in her live vocals videos, you can hear how airy her high notes are, especially when using her head voice. finally, her lower range is very much underdeveloped, to the point that her F#3s are pretty much inaudible. yoohyeon does show support on the other hand, and her technique is wayyy healthier but she lacks agility, and overall doesn't come as close as other main vocalists of her gen (rosé, jihyo, etc). other members aren't standouts either. they're mediocre at best, and all of them, although they might sound stable live, showed 0 support and a non-existent technique.

in conclusion, being stable on stage isn't synonym for good vocals, sorry.

Ooh, nice.

I'm not familiar with Dreamcatcher's live vocals, but they do have me interested especially after hearing so much about their vocals. So a more indepth analysis like this I can always appreciate.

I agree, many K-pop fans have the habit to focus on vocal color/tone of voice, high notes and stability and mistake these for vocal technique and vocal skill level.

I also understood their harmonization and vocal blending as a group is well done? There aren't many groups these days that use their voices together and do harmonizations or counterpointing well.

Vocal line for bigger group? 🤔 it's the OG SNSD. 4/8 or 5/9 can actually supports the notes and able to use breath control even if it's not perfect. Call me fake vocal coach or whatever but vocal technique is the most accurate to rank them.

Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun, Tiffany, and Sunny. They're all can sing for real with proper technique. Subjectively, they're also great singers especially Taengsic. Sooyoung and Yuri? lead vocal material for sure but SunTifSeo are way skilled, Soo and Yuri could be lead vocal in another group. Hyoyeon and Yoona are sub vocalist but they can sing for real, not just talking or sing out of tune.

Ignore technique, i still think that SNSD as a group are vocally gifted. Everyone can sing or at least stay in tune, even their sub-vocalist can handle high notes (since kpop-fans favor high notes a lot).

Without a doubt!

Even the weaker singers in SNSD were solid singers and their 5 members vocal line was the best of 2nd gen era.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Vocal line for bigger group? 🤔 it's the OG SNSD. 4/8 or 5/9 can actually supports the notes and able to use breath control even if it's not perfect. Call me fake vocal coach or whatever but vocal technique is the most accurate to rank them.

Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun, Tiffany, and Sunny. They're all can sing for real with proper technique. Subjectively, they're also great singers especially Taengsic. Sooyoung and Yuri? lead vocal material for sure but SunTifSeo are way skilled, Soo and Yuri could be lead vocal in another group. Hyoyeon and Yoona are sub vocalist but they can sing for real, not just talking or sing out of tune.

Ignore technique, i still think that SNSD as a group are vocally gifted. Everyone can sing or at least stay in tune, even their sub-vocalist can handle high notes (since kpop-fans favor high notes a lot).

I was also talking about current groups, not groups that promoted decade ago.

• you clearly don't know what the fuck you're talking about, that's soo funny to me

yes projection is a great indicator of proper singing, but stableness isn't. Too much weight isn't a proper term in singing either

if you want to play the game of fake ass internet vocal coach, at least do it properly?

You say you play guitar, but what the fuck does it have to do with classical singing technique? besides the knowledge of pitch, maybe ? my friend is a pianist, does that make her a good singer ? because yeah these dc girlies have a great sense of pitch if that's what you wanna hear, which is why you think they sound so good live. But that's not enough to make them the best vocal group or anything, that's all. a ton of kpop groups have vocalists with a nice sense of pitch and stableness, but lack a proper technique. dreamcatcher and most groups in general, even my faves fit among those.

and finally, sounding "powerful" isn't a proper indicator of one's being a good singer. id rather prefer a singer with a nice technique, a solid vibrato (which siyeon doesn't have lol) good support but a softer voice than one with an improper and dangerous technique such as dami and siyeon. these could damages their vocal chords, if you really was a fan of em id suggest you to stop defending their terrible technique :)

Visit google, type vocal weight, read. Thats why i said earlier, there is no point in discussing this bullshit.

Oh look, another person who doesn't actually research the person they're judging and doesn't know a single thing about vocal training, hate to break it to you but watching 5 videos on youtube from untrained "vocal analysts" doesn't make you an expert. Siyeon doesn't have a "dangerous" technique. SO many of you fake vocal analysts think that adding any form of distortion to your voice automatically makes your technique bad, it's embarrassing for you.

Sounding "powerful" isn't an indicator of being an amazing singer but an amazing singer must be able to sound powerful and project their voice if they want to be a versatile vocalist and reach the emotions of their audience from a new angle. Also saying siyeon doesn't have a solid vibrato is hilarious, that comment alone is enough to say your opinions on vocals are irrelevant.

Siyeon's main strength as a vocalist is that she's incredibly versatile with her voice. She's like a vocal chameleon, if a song requires her to sing soft and breathy (her latest solo, entrancing, as an example) she can do it, if the song requires her to sing powerfully with distortion (their song Tension as an example) she can do it, if a song requires her to sing in her mix but with less power and no distortion (jazz bar, locked inside a door etc.) she can do it. There are many vocalists in kpop that can sing with a breathy configuration, or a connected but not powerful configuration. There are very few vocalists in kpop that can do both of those while also being able to sing powerfully with distortion (in a healthy way), Siyeon is one of those few vocalists capable of doing this.

The Siyeon hate in this BS "vocal analyst" community is unfounded and unsupported. There's been no evidence to suggest her voice is being damaged by her technique. If it was the case she wouldn't be able to perform songs like tension and new days on tour for a solid 2 months straight without ever sounding like her voice was in less than amazing condition. If you've had any experience with rock vocals and training in rock vocal techniques you would understand that Siyeon's technique is perfectly acceptable and almost a standard configuration for rock vocals, the distortion she's adding isn't even that extreme. It's just that more classically trained (and frankly bad) vocal coaches don't understand the newer developments in vocal techniques.

Does Siyeon have the best technique? no, but it's far from "terrible" and it's on the higher end for kpop vocalists. She's probably in the top 5 for 3rd and 4th gen girl group vocalists.

Maybe instead of judging someone's vocal technique you should first go to school and learn what you're actually pretending to know. The discourse surrounding vocals in kpop is laughable. hardly anyone talking about vocal technique in relation to kpop actually knows what they're talking about, they just throw out some buzzwords to make themselves seem knowledgable when in reality they know next to nothing.

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.
  • Dreamcatcher, WJSN, Oh My Girl that would be top for bigger groups

Yes, I would give it to WJSN.

They have Dawon and Yeonung who would be main vocals in any GG, and they still have Seola and Soobin who are solid vocals.

I would bet on those 4 as a vocal line over any other 4 vocal line in the industry.

• BTW, I believe Yeonjung and Siyeon finished 1 and 2 in this TV show about main vocals in GGs

(I think this is a clip of the final)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I am very picky about female vocals. I dislike pitchy or nasal types and so DC is an answer to my prayer because none of them are nasal or pitchy! They are def. my fav GG KPOP vocals hands down. They can sing alone or the way they harmonize with each other and their ranges blending together is heaven to my ears.

This is also why I love Dreamcatcher! They all sound great and can sing together or solo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!