South Korea's New Army Law

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

For dual nationalities if the person chose to keep both nationalities then they have to serve in the military. If they didn't then they have to give up the korean citizenship.

• Korean population is falling fast.. they need to keep their military system going.. dual citizens will probably just give up korean citizenship or try to find and stay in the US. No one wants to be force to serve in a military.

• Why cant Korea get their shit together? Work so hard, have so much brainpower, yet they do stupid shortsighted impulsive shit like this.

Instead of forcing people into the military where they will be subject to extreme hazing, bullying, and abuse, and treating your soldiers like crap by not giving them even enough food to eat, how about making the military into a professional volunteer force? We had the same problems around the Vietnam War with the draft, our military was in shambles with enlistees who didnt want to be there. We turned our military into a volunteer professional force where you could actually carve out a real career with benefits and retirement, and now it's the most feared military in the world.

Korean economy is down from what i understand, particularly for young people. Entice them to join the military, pay them a fair salary, offer them good benefits and retirement, and get them to view the military as a career. As for the military itself, root out institutional hazing as much as possible (honestly it will never be completely gone, anytime you get a bunch of dudes in a room with a common goal, hazing just naturally follows for whatever reason). Make it so people arent fucking dragged kicking and screaming into it, and then released with major psych disorders from the trauma they experienced.

If the US did it, so can Korea. The military will be smaller, but it will be much more effective and efficient.

• Korean population is falling fast.. they need to keep their military system going.. dual citizens will probably just give up korean citizenship or try to find and stay in the US. No one wants to be force to serve in a military.

I feel sorry for Koreans. I mean, these laws are like 15th centuryish.

They do have a crazy dude with nukes and a big (but obsolete) military force just north of them.

They should do like Israel and make both males and females serve.

• There's no such thing as dual citizenship in Korea according to their gov't. You have to explicitly renounce your Korean citizenship if you become a citizen of another country.

According to their laws...

When a Korean national becomes a citizen of another country, that individual is no longer a Korean citizen effective on the date recorded on their Certificate of Naturalization.  The individual must personally file renunciation documents, called “Gook Jeok Sang Shil Shin Go,” to the Korean government reporting the change of citizenship.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• omg this is like hella stupid move...

now even young men who want to visit grandparents will need to look at the total time they spend in SK...

imagine if you are young kiddo and your parents bring you back to South Korea in each summer...

well unless it's a case of being a resident, and having an Korean adress then it's stupid and dumb

also what about college? that's also 3 years if not more... geezzzzzz

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• So that means let's say if Felix as example would have not only the Australian passport, he had to enlist in Korea cause he is in Korea since 4 years now if I understand that right but since he just has the Australian passport he doesn't need to

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• From ancient warriors to modern military, armies have long been a part of homosexual and bisexual culture. These types of traditions and institutions are fully entrenched and would be almost impossible to eradicate as changing the nature of mankind.

• Official Post

So that means let's say if Felix as example would have not only the Australian passport, he had to enlist in Korea cause he is in Korea since 4 years now if I understand that right but since he just has the Australian passport he doesn't need to

Yes. Since Felix is an Australian citizen and has an Australian passport he won't have to serve.

Honestly this isn't applicable to most foreign idols. Some of them may technically have dual citizenship depending on their parents citizenship status at the time of their birth, but most of them have passports from the countries they were born in. The only ones I know of who have dual citizenship are Vernon (but I don't think it's a question for him. He's definitely choosing his Korean citizenship) and Jake from Enhypen (according to that article anyway).

• Yes. Since Felix is an Australian citizen and has an Australian passport he won't have to serve.

Honestly this isn't applicable to most foreign idols. Some of them may technically have dual citizenship depending on their parents citizenship status at the time of their birth, but most of them have passports from the countries they were born in. The only ones I know of who have dual citizenship are Vernon (but I don't think it's a question for him. He's definitely choosing his Korean citizenship) and Jake from Enhypen (according to that article anyway).

thinking of it. How does it work for people not living in Korea but spend 3 years or longer in Korea? Just wondering because I know at least 2 Korean JPop-idols who had to enlist in Korea even tho they grew up in Japan and all I know is they where born in Korea but have the Japanese citizenship

IDK the question might be dumb

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Official Post

thinking of it. How does it work for people not living in Korea but spend 3 years or longer in Korea? Just wondering because I know at least 2 Korean JPop-idols who had to enlist in Korea even tho they grew up in Japan and all I know is they where born outside Japan but have the Japanese citizenship

On that front I'm not sure. It sounds like if they're still Korean citizens, meaning they just have permanent visas/green cards instead of actually becoming Japanese citizens, that they will have to serve under this law.

• thinking of it. How does it work for people not living in Korea but spend 3 years or longer in Korea? Just wondering because I know at least 2 Korean JPop-idols who had to enlist in Korea even tho they grew up in Japan and all I know is they where born in Korea but have the Japanese citizenship

Most countries have a rule that if you are born in their country regardless of your parents nationality you are a citizen of that country. Your birth certificate will state were you were born etc... For example Korean parents but born in Canada. You get Korean citizenship because of your parents and Canadian because of where you were born. You just tell Canada you want Canadian citizenship for your child and wham you got it. You tell Korea you want Korean citizenship for your child and poof. you got it. Many countries prohibit dual citizenship but if you don't tell them they don't know as it is too much bother normally for them to worry about. BUT if one of the countries then decide to put you in the military for whatever reason it becomes a problem. So child X as I'm calling the person born in Canada decides to enroll in the Canadian Army. They are a citizen of Canada so no big deal. Then after discharge they go to Korea and get drafted into the Korean military. THAT IS A BIG PROBLEM NOW. Military personnel on each side have access to classified material for their country and you now have a problem were you have a conflict of interest and a security risk inside the Canadian or Korean Military. Korea has an item were you "must" enlist not possibly enlist. So in this case this security hole will absolutely happen.

The problem I have with this announcement is it doesn't cover that scenario which can lead to BIG international incidences were that person "X" can effectively be tried for treason by both sides. I'm guessing though this is just the short statement and not the full real legal one and that they have a provision for this in their draft law that exempts others that have been members of other countries armed services.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!