2nd gen is still the most iconic!

• Yes, TO ME they are still the most iconic gen as a whole. They had 20 (idk the exact number, just an example kkkk) active groups constantly releasing bops and hits, extremely national hits. Their presence within the gp are unmatchable even now. Just look at 2008 and you will understand what I'm talking about.

At tbh I think 2nd gen was really the gold era, so many groups, so many bops, so many beautiful and special moments to kpop, so many interactions, so many nostalgia now. Everything was just gold!

I still listen the bops and search in general about them. Even the soloists were iconic!

Anyways, after watching After School performance i just thought: wow, legendary and beautiful!

In conclusion, thank you 2nd gen groups, you guys worked hard and left a immeasurable mark on kpop!

Disclaimer: before someone come quoting a specific group, I'm talking mainly about the full package, a whole generation.. so naming one group doesn't make sense here. And this is my opinion so yes.

Byeee!

• Of course they are :siptear:

As an example, these are the songs that dominated Melon's 2009 annual chart

DzIgJuPU0AAR0zt?format=jpg&name=smallDzIgJuMVYAAhZzc?format=jpg&name=smallDzIgJuNVsAEg2gw?format=jpg&name=small

The sheer epicness and dominance, of legendary groups and songs completely taking over the digital charts.

This was just 1 of the examples of how iconic 2nd gen groups and peak 2nd gen era were :wellr:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• AGREED. It truly was so iconic and so many national hits came from it! Gee, Tell Me, Genie, Nobody, Mister, Bo Peep, Roly Poly, Good Day, Fantastic Baby, Alone, Lovey Dovey, Catallena, Bar Bar Bar, AND SO MUCH MORE.

~ ω

• Thank you for the screenshots!! Truly iconic!!!

• AGREED. It truly was so iconic and so many national hits came from it! Gee, Tell Me, Genie, Nobody, Mister, Bo Peep, Roly Poly, Good Day, Fantastic Baby, Alone, Lovey Dovey, Catallena, Bar Bar Bar, AND SO MUCH MORE.

Right? And what I like more about it it's the quality and how the songs are different from each other. It wasn't a specific sound. It was just... Diversity!

• Right? And what I like more about it it's the quality and how the songs are different from each other. It wasn't a specific sound. It was just... Diversity!

RIGHT??? Like just in 2011 we had the retro takeover of Roly Poly, the Bad-Ass concept of IATB by 2NE1, and then the "Girl Power" of The Boys by SNSD.

~ ω

• I was talking about "concepts" kkkk like there was sad, colorful, gc, cute, sexy, powerful and 397492 more type of songs... Idk if you can understand where I'm coming from kkk, but all the groups were different from each other and had their identify and they changed styles pretty often too.

No problem! I was only quoting Anchorman, the best movie of all time, which your comment about diversity reminded me of. ^^

• Exactly. 2nd Gen was 10xs more fun and interesting. It had iconic moments after iconic moments among most groups. Varieties were so interesting. No wonder GP only knows old idols. At that time the idol industry was thriving on tv. I know the social media numbers aren't comparable to 3rd gen but things were not as half as easy to access to as it is now.

When you think how each one was iconic and unforgettable. INSANE!

lt64IYu.gif

• Exactly. 2nd Gen was 10xs more fun and interesting. It had iconic moments after iconic moments among most groups. Varieties were so interesting. No wonder GP only knows old idols. At that time the idol industry was thriving on tv. I know the social media numbers aren't comparable to 3rd gen but things were not as half as easy to access to as it is now.

You spilled! Tbh the word FUN describes this gen so much!! They were everywhere and wow, such great moments! I miss them and I miss an era like this.

• You spilled! Tbh the word FUN describes this gen so much!! They were everywhere and wow, such great moments! I miss them and I miss an era like this.

AND ALL OF THE ICONIC DANCE MOVES. They were simple but so much fun to do!!!

~ ω

• AND ALL OF THE ICONIC DANCE MOVES. They were simple but so much fun to do!!!

Yeees! I don't even know why I made this thread as now I'm sad this is all in the past :pepe-sad: kkkkk ah s! Kkkkk

But remember is to live!

But for real, looking at kpop now and then we can see how unfortunately things changed so much. Today everything is individual, groups barely interacting, and groups barely having bops bops. In the past everybody just vibed together and made the gen as a whole an irreplaceable place and memory!

• Also don't forget, all the gg-bg collaborations!! There were so, so many of them, so many fun and iconic ones!!! :omgr:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Too many to mention them all, and since 3rd gen these bg-gg collaborations have become more and more rare and the fun of those collabs disappeared as well :sadr:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Edited once, last by FoReveries ().

• A part that will be missed! Unfortunately nowadays everybody acts like they don't know each other... Kkkk

I love BB interactions with SNSD :borahae:

• A part that will be missed! Unfortunately nowadays everybody acts like they don't know each other... Kkkk

I love BB interactions with SNSD :borahae:

There were so, so many fun and entertaining interactions between all the groups, boy groups and girl groups, boy idols and girl idols altogether, it didn't matter, there was warmth and chemistry and above all they had FUN and radiated fun in all those variety shows and interactions, and thus made it fun and entertaining for fans to watch them.

I think it's one of the reasons that K-pop groups and K-pop songs as a whole did so phenomenally well on the charts and were so popular with the general public in 2nd gen era: it was just fun and entertaining to see them interact and banter with eachother across the many shows.

SWJ1P.gif

• There were so, so many fun and entertaining interactions between all the groups, boy groups and girl groups, boy idols and girl idols altogether, it didn't matter, there was warmth and chemistry and above all they had FUN and radiated fun in all those variety shows and interactions, and thus made it fun and entertaining for fans to watch them.

I think it's one of the reasons that K-pop groups and K-pop songs as a whole did so phenomenally well on the charts and were so popular with the general public in 2nd gen era: it was just fun and entertaining to see them interact and banter with eachother across the many shows.

So true!!

Idols weren't robotics, they always showed us how they enjoyed their career and this made gp and fans warm up to them as we could see how thankful and just humans they were!!

• Why is it when I make this thread people call me a boomer who needs to move on?

But everyone here is agreeing with the original post.

External Content youtu.be

• 2g had that magical air about it. It sorts like how say a new game (2g) is fresh and exciting and does its own things but later on things become formulaic and generic. Kpop nowadays is copying trends of what everyone else is doing or doing the same things as before.

That's just the music, 2g idols were much more entertaining outside: regularly on TV, interacting with other groups, having fun and so on. Now everyone keeps to themselves most of the time even for special events like concerts.

• 2g had that magical air about it. It sorts like how say a new game (2g) is fresh and exciting and does its own things but later on things become formulaic and generic. Kpop nowadays is copying trends of what everyone else is doing or doing the same things as before.

That's just the music, 2g idols were much more entertaining outside: regularly on TV, interacting with other groups, having fun and so on. Now everyone keeps to themselves most of the time even for special events like concerts.

Actually what you said really hit me now. Yes, it feels like nowadays is just not copying, but just using trend things and as I said everybody is individual with little to none interaction between groups.

• There's no other truth.

The 2nd gen brought the best artists to light. Just to give few examples, 2nd gen gave us Taeyeon, Jonghyun, Taemin, CL, G-Dragon, Jay Park, the whole Super Junior's powerful vocal line, Hyuna, and many other talented vocalists, dancers, idols who you could feel they enjoyed being on stage.

Whenever I want to make sure about why I fell in love with Kpop, I watch 2nd gen live performances.

THOSE were true live performances!

• There's no other truth.

The 2nd gen brought the best artists to light. Just to give few examples, 2nd gen gave us Taeyeon, Jonghyun, Taemin, CL, G-Dragon, Jay Park, the whole Super Junior's powerful vocal line, Hyuna, and many other talented vocalists, dancers, idols who you could feel they enjoyed being on stage.

Whenever I want to make sure about why I fell in love with Kpop, I watch 2nd gen live performances.

THOSE were true live performances!

Yes! Honestly there are a few groups where I feel the love to be on stage nowadays.

I also love to watch 2nd gen performances. It gives me such warm and happy feelings!

• Agree. 2nd Gen era is trully iconic. I mean every group share spot in the limelight. During award shows, the result was unpredictable. Although the competition among the idol groups are very tight, still there are lots of interactions and collaborations among groups, especially the opposite sex. In terms of music, the music back then are more diverse. Nowadays, you can't differentiate the music style anymore. Even their looks, sorry to say, with those heavy make-ups, even with men, they almost look the same to me.

Edited once, last by hiraya ().

• This thread contains 4 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!