Are album sales increasing drastically the last 2 years ?

• Everything has gone up, physicals and digitals.

2020 before MOTS7, I think BTS was only at like 7-8million listeners on Spotify, and BP was at like 3-4

Now, theres like 7-8 groups who can reach those numbers

• The overwhelming increase is bc of chinese fans’ bulkbuying. It started in 2019 with iu after hotel de luna and mamamoo after queendom, and then fandoms of other groups/ artists saw it and started trying to outdo their competition and the rest is history

• The overwhelming increase is bc of chinese fans’ bulkbuying. It started in 2019 with iu after hotel de luna and mamamoo after queendom, and then fandoms of other groups/ artists saw it and started trying to outdo their competition and the rest is history

Chinese bars paved the way lol...

No for real, fans collecting and being more organized is paying off. I hope it stays like this even after the pandemic.

• Yep. Just 2 years ago Got7 and NCT were selling around 350k and there were discussions about which one of them was the 4th bg after BTS, EXO and SVT. Now every korean bg from big companies seems like they'll achieve 500k eventually and 4th gen leading bgs are already near the million.

Neo got my back

bottom!Taeyong | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

wait what? i'm confusing.

Isn't chinese fans bulk/buying group order has always been a thing. Bars competing against other groups, or individual bars compete against other members were always a thing.

What make 2019 IU vs Mamamoo so special. 2020 especially has been a huge year for physical sales overall though.

• Everything has gone up, physicals and digitals.

2020 before MOTS7, I think BTS was only at like 7-8million listeners on Spotify, and BP was at like 3-4

Now, theres like 7-8 groups who can reach those numbers

Korean digitals haven't improved, they went down in 2019 and 2020.

Like max 6 hits from each year, where in in 2015-2018 there were easily more than 10.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Edited once, last by MassiveKpopFan ().

• Korean digitals haven't improved, they've went down in 2019 and 2020.

Like max 6 hits from each year, where in in 2015-2018 there were easily more than 10.

I think 2019 was brutal for kpop acts besides bts

2020 picked up in some form & 2021 is back to form since the top 10 of melon right now is packed with kpop groups mostly GG but it was always them & bts anyways

• I think 2019 was brutal for kpop acts besides bts

2020 picked up in some form & 2021 is back to form since the top 10 of melon right now is packed with kpop groups mostly GG but it was always them & bts anyways

2019 fucking sucked for Kpop in Korea. Soloists dominated that year.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• yes, kpop album sales are much higher now than before.

K_Pop_Physical_Albums_Sales.jpg?p=publish&w=950

https://www.prnewswire.com/new…gh-in-2020-301270515.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/t…ales-stay-strong-in-2020/

also, bloated claims about the importance of china are fake, like most chinese statistics.

taiwan and SEA each contribute about as much china.

japan is actually the most important foreign country for kpop.

us is becoming increasingly important, especially with direct distribution now by major retailers there.

• 3rd gen selling more physicals than their predecessors in the streaming era. what a time to be alive.

• album sales for girlgroups did grow, I might be wrong but the only active gg selling 100K gaon when I got into kpop was the big 3+mamamoo but now that list has doubled and there's two more going to be added soon

• wait what? i'm confusing.

Isn't chinese fans bulk/buying group order has always been a thing. Bars competing against other groups, or individual bars compete against other members were always a thing.

What make 2019 IU vs Mamamoo so special. 2020 especially has been a huge year for physical sales overall though.

bulk buying has always been a thing, but it ramped up new heights in 2019 bc of the popularity of, like i’ve already mentioned, hotel de luna and queendom in china. The impact of those 2 shows in increasing chinese fans of those 2 acts was quite visible to track

• Wow that's fucking high

U expect bts upcoming album to sell 1M pure albums in the US alone this year?! I was thinking 700K

BP sold 250K after 7 months so 350K in 3 months seems doable

BTS had 2 albums last year, so hitting 1M after the Butter hype with one regular, 4-version album makes sense to me, especially since 7 went RIAA Platinum in a year.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• kpop has been steady with album sales from 2011 to 2016 with around 10-12m sales a year.

From 2017, the album sales went upto 16m and have been increasing ever since then. Like 24m each in 2018 & 2019. And 40m in 2020.

There are two reasons why the increase from 2019 to 2020 looks too big.

1. In 2019 BTS released only 1 album, a mini album and they sold around 4m with that one. Normally BTS release aeast 2 albums a year so them releasing only 1 album decreased the overall number by around 4m.

2. Pandemic happened. So people can't go to the concerts or fan meetings. Companies started doing online fan meetings which meant that fans from all around the world can meet their faves now unlike in offline fan meetings where only the regional people can meet their faves. That's why everyone started bulk buying as they now get a chance to meet their faves which was only possible for let's say 10% people in the fandom before so only they were bulk buying.

I don't expect companies to stop doing these online fan meetings from now onwards because they are the main reason why all the groups are selling as much as they are now. That's why I don't think sales will go down after the pandemic but they will definitely stagnate or increase slowly (unlike now) as soon as touring starts.

Edit : In conclusion, kpop physicals started growing from 2017 when kpop expansion outside Asia started and ARMYs outside Asia demanded distributions in their own countries. They were steadily growing over last 4 years but sky rocketed with the pandemic because of online fan meetings and no touring.

I think this year kpop can sell around 50m albums if not more which is a huge number.

• tru tru

• I think it's mainly due to the change of the world? the pandemic,lack of groups in the west, globalization, etc opened a new market for kpop groups. I saw myself starting to buy many albums and spending money in kpop merch like never before because quarantine really changed everything

• bulk buying has always been a thing, but it ramped up new heights in 2019 bc of the popularity of, like i’ve already mentioned, hotel de luna and queendom in china. The impact of those 2 shows in increasing chinese fans of those 2 acts was quite visible to track

yes i heard that those 2 grew a lot but why are they the one credit for the increase of chinese sales to idol groups overall?

iu is a soloist who got bigger due to her drama, and mamamoo is mamamoo. that's the confusing part i was talking about. any kpop groups with decent fan base in china always had chinese fan bulkbuy/group order because it save on shipping and some don't even ship back. if anything i believe the pandemic had a bigger hand in raising physical sales overall because people stay home so they have more disposable income. AND kpop is rising in popularity everyday.

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!