Black Swan Fatou is not doing anyone a favor

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Way to enforce negative “aGgrESsiVe” or “stROnGk BlaCk wOMen” stereotypes

Yes, I am mad.

“SHe’S juSt bEinG HErseLf” lol shut up.

She JUST debuted and is now showing very well known negative stereotypical tendencies as if us black women don’t suffer enough from these assumptions. You may think it’s not a big deal from the surface, but she is leaving an impression that is subconsciously noted.

And the fact that she is the “rapper” of the group.... that says a lot LOOOOL

• yeah and her voice doesn't help either because if she act cute saying that people will just laugh it off...

now they will just think that she's a girl with attitude problems

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• race and gender please

What is it

I'm a man, and we are all one.

External Content www.youtube.com

• Everyone's reply on that tweet seem to be very positive, but you out here trying to create a negative image for what reason exactly? Why are you trying to create unnecessary drama?

• lol ok. whatever one does, they'll enforce some kind of stereotype. lets push on idols that they have to second think everything they do and everything they say 24/7. no pressure btw!

Or you know, just don't pay so much attention to every little detail and let people be.

• Everyone's reply on that tweet seem to be very positive, but you out here trying to create a negative image for what reason exactly? Why are you trying to create unnecessary drama?

Of course the responses on the TWEET are positive. The only black female idol saying ANYTHING. They don’t give a fuck about the deeper meaning. They focus on the fact that she’s black, pretty, and in kpop. I focus on her impression and what it perpetuates. Act blind if y’all want to. I don’t see the bright side in none of this shit.

• Of course the responses on the TWEET are positive. The only black female idol saying ANYTHING. They don’t give a fuck about the deeper meaning. They focus on the fact that she’s black, pretty, and in kpop. I focus on her impression and what it perpetuates. Act blind if y’all want to. I don’t see the bright side in none of this shit.

Funnily you act more aggressive then her :/

• Yes because I was SOOO aggressive in explaining my point. You are tone deaf and I do not like your logical fallacy.

Maybe you are tone deaf since you are obviously the only one thinking like that and invalidating everyone else. Also calling a joke logical fallacy is much more amusing than you might think. Using big words does not make one smarter :)

• Official Post

People will always stereotype black people no matter what so I don't see the point in trying to act all soft spoken to appease to Koreans. Black get called thugs just by standing and wearing hoodies does that mean black people shouldn't do either of those things? You gotta realize the problem isn't black people, the problem is the racist. BTW I'm a black a woman.

• i don't see the problem. i talk like this too? im not a black woman? she seriously is just being herself, why can't she? why should she change her way of speech because other people create negative stereotypes around it?

• People will always stereotype black people no matter what so I don't see the point in trying to act all soft spoken to appease to Koreans. Black get called thugs just by standing and wearing hoodies does that mean black people shouldn't do either of those things? You gotta realize the problem isn't black people, the problem is the racist. BTW I'm a black a woman.

Exactly by saying she is trying to be a stereotype someone is already putting her into a social box. There are so many people who talk like that since it is a part of the whole social media pop culture but she is getting reprimanded for it. Should she act differently so that she appease to Koreans?

• Official Post

Exactly by saying she is trying to be a stereotype someone is already putting her into a social box. There are so many people who talk like that since it is a part of the whole social media pop culture but she is getting reprimanded for it. Should she act differently so that she appease to Koreans?

I agree and like I get it, Fatou will be looked at differently speaking in that accent than a white girl but again who's fault is that, not hers. Koreans will never fully accept Fatou anyway because she's not Korean, Sam Okyere has lived in Korea for over 10 years, has been very respectful of the culture and when he tried to call the teens out on black face they turned of him and started calling him racial slurs. Koreans barley want to accept SEA and sometimes have a problem with Japanese and Chinese idols.

• Leean_Taeyong

While I understand your concern (positive representation matters), I don't think it's fair to put this pressure on her to be absolutely perfect all the time. Her intention of saying this was good; that's what matters most.

It's not your fault that these stereotypes were cast on your race, so why should you live trying to please other people or constantly worrying about how others perceive you?

I appreciate this response. Thank you

I am very conscious about my demeanor. Especially growing up in a predominantly red (politically) environment. The black stereotypes are strong af that get talked about when us black people are not in their presence. Therefore, when a black person around me does something that falls into those negative stereotypes, I think to myself “Keep giving them reasons to talk about us while we’re not around”

And the people in my area MOST DEFINITELY WILL.

I can only imagine how it is in a homogeneous country like South Korea. How it is for little half black girls to grow up there. Hence why I made the thread.

• but what if this is her actual perdonnality? She is not going censure herself either and stop being herself just because dumb people are dumb and like to generalize.

• I'm from a homogeneous country and i would never in my life think watching this "wow, she sounds so aggressive". Such thought wouldn't even cross my mind. Nothing she said is problematic, you are just bored and need some drama

• "you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't so you might as well just do whatever you want"-kasey musgraves

1601860532-20201004-suhyun.jpg~proudly presented by a humble humanoid commenter~

• Okay but I'm pretty sure she didn't signed up to be the ambassadors of black women ?

If people have racist and sexist stereotypes, that's on them. It's not Fatou's business that these people are lacking a brain.

• The problem with stereotypes is when you are in a part of a group that is looked down upon its harder to be yourself because you don’t wanna be the stereotype. Maybe thats just the way she is and its an individual thing. I don’t think we should put her in a box or expect her to be a certain way for your satisfaction. People are multidimensional and i dont think she is necessarily enforcing a stereotype. Maybe she is just being herself. So just stop yourself

• Girl shut up. The only one enforcing the stereotype is you.

Just because she’s black she can’t be straight up because it’s a stereotype and her skin color makes it look aggressive ????

Should she act cute and shy to please people like you? Sit this one tf down.

• I see where you're coming from, but it's probably from a place of internalized racism that's been ingrained in you by your upbringing.

I hope one day you see that constantly restricting/changing your behavior and acting like a model minority isn't going to eliminate stereotypes on behalf of others. It may keep you safe in certain situations, but criticizing others for not doing the same is just harming the victims of racism.

There is nothing wrong with acting like a normal human being as long as you aren't hurting anyone. Criticizing people of stigmatized groups for things you wouldn't normally criticize others for just helps perpetuate those stereotypes as negative.

At the end of the day, you're enforcing the idea that black women specifically shouldn't be allowed to express a normal human emotion in public.

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!