Will there ever be another Bae Suzy?

• It's been two generations since Suzy first came into the spotlight yet there seems to be no one that has a reputation like hers. Sucess-wise, Irene came close until the scandal happened and Jennie has a lot of potential since she's taking over most of Suzy's old cf jobs. But what I'm really curious about is who will follow Suzy up as the Nation's Love. She was the Nation's First Love. Korea adores her and still does. At her peak, she was so well-liked that she could have a dating scandal and her fanbase wouldn't waver. So my question is, will there ever be another idol that will be as loved as Suzy.

• Official Post

IU?

As for 3rd gen idols, people like Jennie and Hwasa are close, but the thing about Suzy is that she was quite literally known as the CF Queen in Korea and earned like 10 million in 2013 alone. Her nickname is literally '10 billion won girl' as she earns so much from CFs alone. Even if another idol ended up surpassing her, it won't erase her legacy and impact in Korea.

• Just a reminder about the past:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

and also there was a time when ELLE Korea suggested that Kim Sohyun might snatch this title from Suzy

External Content www.instagram.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Wow that title is really misleading. Thanks for this btw.

• Official Post

I think alot of these titles are reserved for actresses so it's possible. Kim Sohyun was known as the Nation's Little Sister at her peak which shows her impact. However, does she have any notable CFs similar to Suzy at her peak?

• Official Post

Wut? Suzy is overrated to me. I never hear about her, except by a few 2nd gen stans on this forum. Nobody talks about her on YT or TW.

We hear a lot more about IU, Taeyeon, Jessie, and Sunmi when it comes to 2nd gen stars.

Suzy doesn't do music anymore like the people you listed, so of course she wouldn't be talked about much among international KPOP stans. She's huge in Korea though, not IU-level or anything, but probably one of the most successful idols(or former idols) along with people like Yoona.

• Suzy at her peak was something else popularity wise. No-one in the 3rd gen is at that level. She was big in film, tv shows, varieties, music and CF's. Kpop stars are not Korean-centric enough these days to get to her level in SK.

There was this reaction vid of Korean teens to Suzy and as much international fans try and play down "nations" titles you can see it#s a fairly ingrained identity.

Wut? Suzy is overrated to me. I never hear about her, except by a few 2nd gen stans on this forum. Nobody talks about her on YT or TW.

We hear a lot more about IU, Taeyeon, Jessie, and Sunmi when it comes to 2nd gen stars.

That's because Suzy rarely puts out music anymore so if you don't follow kdramas/films you won't really come across her (both are bigger mediums in SK than kpop). She does acting and CF's only pretty much with an odd OST.

• I think koreans consider Jennie etc.... as sucessfull and popular than Suzy

jennie is definitely popular, she’s literally the it girl rn but for her to be as successful and popular as suzy it’ll take some time. suzy and iu are a popularity wall in korea (these two are also always the only ones who make it to the top 10 of most loved celebrities in korea every year among female idols), even yoona isn’t as popular as them.

• IU is much more bigger than suzy. Acting career is on same level for both. Music career no where near. Even if suzy continued with music i don't think she would reach IU level.

I think even internationally IU is bigger.

YIREN

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv fab59363da33ef51baa656716577e60cdb9b2fd2.gifv 084b4b1830b2175bbfe169388158c289cc0b861f.gifv 9a71235e38fac2f4f9e1daf62b01efee6e4923bf.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• IU is much more bigger than suzy. Acting career is on same level for both. Music career no where near. Even if suzy continued with music i don't think she would reach IU level.

I think even internationally IU is bigger.

That's because she never focused on music. Ever since DH, she was continuously acting and I'd say until Hotel Del Luna, Suzy had a clear lead in acting. It's true though that IU is much bigger than her in both Korea and internationally.

loml

• I think koreans consider Jennie etc.... as sucessfull and popular than Suzy

i just think that title lost of meanings in 3rd -4th gen and Koreans no longer use them as often that they did in 2nd gen that's why he didn't see anybody got a title this gen

In order for Jennie to be as successful as Suzy she would need to go into acting. Suzy was the highest paid actress of 2017 in Korea and a cf Queen on top of being in a popular girl group and having hit OST's. She reached the top in every part of the entertainment industry.

I think the reason there hasn't been another 'nations first love' is because it's always been reserved for actresses and there's been no break out actresses in the 3rd and 4th gen yet on the same level as Suzy, yoona or Iu.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!