Eric debuted as a member of South Korean K-pop group The Boyz on December 6, 2017.
English Name: Eric Sohn
Korean Name: Son Young Jae
Position: Lead Dancer, Lead Rapper, Vocalist, Maknae
Birthday: December 22, 2000
Height: 174 cm
II. Random Facts
- His real name is Sohn Youngjae. Eric is his English name, that his mom chose for him (after Shinhwa's Eric), when they moved to Los Angeles, in 2010, when he was 10 years old. He grew up there until freshman year of High School, when he got back to Korea. His plan was to graduate college in U.S. and became a baseball player for major leagues. He says that when Exo's Growl came out, his sister showed him the video and was very impressed by it. So he decided to go to dance lesson with his sister, because he decided to be a kpop star. His plan was to take dance lessons for 6 months and later try auditioning. But after three days of dance lessons, he coincidentally got a call from LOEN, for a global audition, because there was a cordinator, that was friends with his mom and adviced his mom for Eric to audition. He tried auditioning, even though he didn't know how to dance, sing or rap, but he made it.
- He later became really good dancer (see his fancams!) and is the lead dancer and lead rapper of the group.
- He was actually very good student. He can also solve a rubik's cube (he went to competition for it in school).
- His mom lives in L.A., his older sister studies in New York and his dad lives in Korea.
- He likes cleaning and is very neat.
- Eric says, that people's impression of him would probably be, that he talks a lot, is full of energy, he's loud and mischievous boy, that doesn't listen to others well. He says that that's all correct, but that he hopes, people know, this is not everything there is about him. He's a very bright person, but not all the time.
- What he would like for people to know about him is, that he's also very sensitive. He thinks and worry too much, but people tell him, that more than half of his worries are unnecessary. He's trying to stick more with the saying 'go with the flow'.
- He's very emotional and can cry very easily.
- He's more interested in others than in himself. He's not a shy person and don't have trouble getting along with new people. He's curious about new people and what their perspectives are, what kind of person they are and if they have any similarities with him. He's interested in other people, but when they are not interested back in him, he feels sad about it. Even though he doesn't ask for an attention, he feels bad if they don't show him the same amount of attention as what he gave them.
- Eric says there are too many skilled people in the world. He says, he's not outstanding or excellent among them, but he's heading towards that direction, he has the potential and that's his strenght.
- He says that he doesn't feel like maknae, because all the members treat him as a same-age friend, and don't make him do things, like it's usual for maknae.
Eric being the classic evil maknae and teasing his hyungs
Kpop Daebak Show with Eric Nam: Catching Up: Eric of THE BOYZ I KPDB Ep. #79 - MUST SEE/HEAR
Eric's fancon performance
Eric & Sunwoo rap duo
Eric's Reveal FANCAM
Eric's Reveal (Catching Fire) - some members even commented on Eric's part when he literally throws himself on the floor, as something only Eric could do
Eric's Checkmate FANCAM
The Boyz Drop The Dance video - watch out for Eric's covers