I've come to realise, boy groups DO have concepts (they're just different ones)

• I recall some discussions a while ago, that was about that concepts was just an artificial thing, and that girl groups don't need them since boy groups don't have them either.

This sounded wrong, but since I haven't watched tons of boy group MV's, I couldn't pinpoint exactly where it felt wrong.

But I've watched a lot more bg MV's recently, and I'm starting to see some recurring concepts - or call them themes or trends, if you want - just like girl groups often have recognisable concepts.

Of course, there's the badass/swag concept, the bad girl/bad boy vibe that you can find with both boy groups as girl groups.

But there's some others too, like the 'hype' song and the 'smooth' (flower boy) type of song.

Especially the 'hype' concept, that's a mix of high energy + agressiveness, is something that's a boy group thing.

I mean, I haven't seen girl groups go really hard like NCT, BTS and some other boy groups frequently do.

So, what do you think? Are there distinctive common themes, trends and concepts you've discovered when you recall the boy group MV's you've seen?

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Enhypen have Fantasy/Vampire/Horror concept for Given-Taken, Let Me In (20 Cube), Outro : Cross the Line.

They are the first group to debut with that concept so kind of fresh within 4th gen. Idk if any 1st or 2nd, early 3rd gen groups did that for their debuts.

Edited once, last by Castor ().

• uhh why would you think in the first place that boy groups don't have concepts? that's kinda silly...

Ateez can do it all...rock, sensitive, bad ass, bad boy, good boy, angelic, whatever.

E'last has this kind of old generation/romantic vibe to their title tracks

Ghost9 has this robotic concept

P1Harmony is just crazy idk yet what they got going on

Noir's latest was like a dark vibe to it since it was called lucifer

oneus is another example of a group with extreme concepts and diversity...

I mean....idk what makes people think boy groups don't have concepts...so dumb lol...I think people make up shit just to have something to talk about

• boy groups do cute, sexy, badass, fantasy, mature. Just like ggs

True, but they package it differently in some cases.

And there's stuff that seems to be more a bg thing or a gg thing.

For example, the what I call 'hype' song (eg. BTS' Dope, NCT's Kick It and Misfit etc) that has agressive, hard dances and a high adrenaline vibe is something I don't see girl groups do like that.

While girl groups have sugar sweet cute styles and elegant that I rarely see with boy groups.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• uhh why would you think in the first place that boy groups don't have concepts? that's kinda silly...

That's what I thought too! That of course boy groups have concepts too, and that there are dominant concepts that are popular among boy groups, just like with girl groups.

But yeah, that's why the discussions back then, because other people were convinced boy groups didn't.

SWJ1P.gif

• Thinking of this, I remember as A.C.E said their concept is to be the first and only hardstyle-boygroup ... aaaand woopsy they stoped after 2 songs and never returned to that

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Thinking of this, I remember as A.C.E said their concept is to be the first and only hardstyle-boygroup ... aaaand woopsy they stoped after 2 songs and never returned to that

Lol, they did? ^^

Oow, feels like a shame. But yeah, it happens a lot of times, that groups (and their companies) change direction if a concept and style doesn't generate the succes they'd hoped for.

SWJ1P.gif

• That's what I thought too! That of course boy groups have concepts too, and that there are dominant concepts that are popular among boy groups, just like with girl groups.

But yeah, that's why the discussions back then, because other people were convinced boy groups didn't.

dumbest thing i ever heard. do they think the boys just go up on stage and look pretty? some people I will just never understand.

• Lol, they did? ^^

It was pretty bad. The main problem on it was that almost all TV shows forced them to cut out the most obvisious like hardstyle sounding parts that shortened the songs to a bit over 2 minutes and a lot Knetz who never checked the MVs said online "Why are their both first singles this short?" and some Knetz even said they can't see a success for them if all their songs would be that short. They also wore outfits that were pretty uncomon so they got the people's atention, but in a wrong way and a lot Knetz also said stuff like that they would dislike it. "They wear hotpants, skirts, flower-earrings, paint their nails, wear a pink and dance to hardstyle... that's something I don't like". Besides being on some music shows they had no other promotions and instead of geting invited to interviews or reality shows or game shows or talk shows like most other idols they spend their time doing youtube-videos and instead of having payed concerts they danced on the streets for free and even in their outfits that might make people who pass by think "WTF is this?" since they wore hotpants and glitter-shirts with random bands around their naked legs. And as they were on a TV-show all they did was blaming themself by saying random stuff like "We shave our legs every day in case we have to wear hotpants again. Please apreciate that effort!" or "Don't ask us for ageyo, we have no idea how this works. We only know one emberasing thing that Chan teached us" and Chan only knew how to say "Dear/honey/my love, buy me a hamburger" while acting like a annoying baby. And they also did the mistake instead of having concerts in Korea they spend their first year as a group with 3 worldtours and even split up to participate in 2 survival shows only half a year after debut. Of cause they got attention on both shows but it was pretty different. The member who went on Rain's survival show gained attention by dancing to Sunmi's Gachina but the winner-group was so badly promoted where one of them was in that it didn't helped their group anything after the winner-group of that survival show was disbanded. The other member went to a survival show by YG but the CEO of A.C.E's company found all problematic parts in the contract of the winner-group where 2 of the member of A.C.E would have been in, so she told every CEO to not let their idols sign the very shitty contract. She even told the whole world how bad it was by reading the whole contract out loud on camera arguing with YG that broke companys could go bankrupt trouight YG's idea so a lot people only remembered A.C.E in the end of 2017 as "the group who is the reason why a YG-show failed" and thinking of the CEO of Beat people only remembered how YG insulted her and she couldn't say anything against him cause she felt too hurt to be able to defend herself till the time she told him at the end of the show to beg off. Later on in 2018 they tried a cute concept and even opend up for male idols to wear crop tops but Knetz found it very random and weird to see 4 grown up men in crop tops and questioned their fashion once again. (Funny how only a few months later most of these people begun to love men in crop tops after more male idols than also begun to wear these, especially cause of Kai and if you say "yeah but you hated on it a few months ago, they act like if the thing about A.C.E never happend or tell you "yeah I know but Kai is so hot" wtf) ... and well it really took them till 2019 to finally be accepted as the group they are. I know it's not a lot they reached so far but it was still enough to make it at least far enough to have made one of the most important Kpop-songs of 2020 now, wich is weird since they didn't sold much CDs and the song also didn't even charted that good...

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• It was pretty bad. The main problem on it was that almost all TV shows forced them to cut out the most obvisious like hardstyle sounding parts that shortened the songs to a bit over 2 minutes and a lot Knetz who never checked the MVs said online "Why are their both first singles this short?" and some Knetz even said they can't see a success for them if all their songs would be that short. They also wore outfits that were pretty uncomon so they got the people's atention, but in a wrong way and a lot Knetz also said stuff like that they would dislike it. "They wear hotpants, skirts, flower-earrings, paint their nails, wear a pink and dance to hardstyle... that's something I don't like". Besides being on some music shows they had no other promotions and instead of geting invited to interviews or reality shows or game shows or talk shows like most other idols they spend their time doing youtube-videos and instead of having payed concerts they danced on the streets for free and even in their outfits that might make people who pass by think "WTF is this?" since they wore hotpants and glitter-shirts with random bands around their naked legs. And as they were on a TV-show all they did was blaming themself by saying random stuff like "We shave our legs every day in case we have to wear hotpants again. Please apreciate that effort!" or "Don't ask us for ageyo, we have no idea how this works. We only know one emberasing thing that Chan teached us" and Chan only knew how to say "Dear/honey/my love, buy me a hamburger" while acting like a annoying baby. And they also did the mistake instead of having concerts in Korea they spend their first year as a group with 3 worldtours and even split up to participate in 2 survival shows only half a year after debut. Of cause they got attention on both shows but it was pretty different. The member who went on Rain's survival show gained attention by dancing to Sunmi's Gachina but the winner-group was so badly promoted where one of them was in that it didn't helped their group anything after the winner-group of that survival show was disbanded. The other member went to a survival show by YG but the CEO of A.C.E's company found all problematic parts in the contract of the winner-group where 2 of the member of A.C.E would have been in, so she told every CEO to not let their idols sign the very shitty contract. She even told the whole world how bad it was by reading the whole contract out loud on camera arguing with YG that broke companys could go bankrupt trouight YG's idea so a lot people only remembered A.C.E in the end of 2017 as "the group who is the reason why a YG-show failed" and thinking of the CEO of Beat people only remembered how YG insulted her and she couldn't say anything against him cause she felt too hurt to be able to defend herself till the time she told him at the end of the show to beg off. Later on in 2018 they tried a cute concept and even opend up for male idols to wear crop tops but Knetz found it very random and weird to see 4 grown up men in crop tops and questioned their fashion once again. (Funny how only a few months later most of these people begun to love men in crop tops after more male idols than also begun to wear these, especially cause of Kai and if you say "yeah but you hated on it a few months ago, they act like if the thing about A.C.E never happend or tell you "yeah I know but Kai is so hot" wtf) ... and well it really took them till 2019 to finally be accepted as the group they are. I know it's not a lot they reached so far but it was still enough to make it at least far enough to have made one of the most important Kpop-songs of 2020 now, wich is weird since they didn't sold much CDs and the song also didn't even charted that good...

Why do you have to write this long? I have given up from the middle! :pepe_feels:

• But I don't really get this discussion. So you have thought boygroups have no concept but you have just realised they have concept?????

apparently the op said people would go around saying BG's had no concepts and only recently she was watching more and more BG performances to realize they do have concepts and a much bigger variety than she thought.

I mean sure they can go on stage and do nothing and look pretty i'll still drool...but that's boring lol. People need to stop thinking only Girls can do concepts some of the guys can pull off girly concepts better than the ladies lol.

Anyways I hope the OP goes back and educates people on shit..especially if you show them the boyz performances, ateez performances, bts, stray kids etc.

• apparently the op said people would go around saying BG's had no concepts and only recently she was watching more and more BG performances to realize they do have concepts and a much bigger variety than she thought.

I mean sure they can go on stage and do nothing and look pretty i'll still drool...but that's boring lol. People need to stop thinking only Girls can do concepts some of the guys can pull off girly concepts better than the ladies lol.

Anyways I hope the OP goes back and educates people on shit..especially if you show them the boyz performances, ateez performances, bts, stray kids etc.

When did people say BGs have no concept? :angryr: Haven't they always say BGs have dark concept? :pepefeelsweirdestman:

• When did people say BGs have no concept? :angryr: Haven't they always say BGs have dark concept? :pepefeelsweirdestman:

hey the op said it i'm just like who's dumb enough to think this lol

i mean no ateez didn't debut with pirate concepts and KEPT IT this whole time...what are you talking about?

while we are here stream pirate king

Debut:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

2 Years Later:

External Content youtu.be

oh and their sold out 2 day concert in seoul

Still Pirates lol

because you know bg's don't have concepts :angryr::angryr::cryingr::cryingr:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!