What Year Do You Think Will Be The Defining Year For 4th Gen Groups?

• What Year? 27

1. 2021 (3) 11%
    2. 2022 (12) 44%
    3. 2023 (8) 30%
    4. 2024 (4) 15%
    5. Never, 3rd Gen Will Always Remain On Top (0) 0%

So from what we have seen, 2016 was the defining moment for many 3rd Gen Groups. It was the year where they comfortably took over from 2nd Gen Groups dominating the kpop industry on the charts, album sales , fandom growth and streams. Just look at the amount of popular hits released that year.

Twice - Cheer Up and TT

Blackpink - Whistle and Boombayah

Red Velvet - Russian Roulette

Gfriend - Rough

Mamamoo - I am The Best

BTS - Blood, Sweat & Tears and Fire

EXO - Monster

Seventeen - Aju Nice

So with BHNGG, YGNGG and SMNBG coming soon, when do you think the next defining year will come for 4th Gen Groups?

• 2021 if Even Of Day have a comeback

In the meantime stream their debut

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is only in their debut, managed to chart at Melon

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

They even managed to outdo their seniors in their first year

Manage to chart unlike some other 4th Gen BGs, this isn't even a title track it's a song they made for fun

Manage to reach No.10 on Genie and No.1 on Bugs for a non-promotional track

Look at this Even Of Day best 4th Gen rookies

• at least for ggs (since i dont care that much about bgs) 2022-2023. all the big ggs would be renewing or not renewing their contracts. (groups like twice, oh my girl, blackpink any other 2015-2016 gg). by that time, ygngg, bhngg, and cubes ngg will be debuted and a year or two in. groups like aespa, stayc, weeekly etc would probably have their smash hit and are building a strong fanbase)

im not saying 3rd gen ggs will automatically disband or go on hiatus but around 2016, snsd and miss a was on hiatus im pretty sure, 2ne1, kara and 4minute were disbanded or basically diabanded, i dont even know where wg was. at the time all the 3rd gen ggs were having a hit all the 2nd gen ggs were slowing down or dead, so it would probably happen for 3rd gen ggs too.

• I think this is a good opportunity to bring back this graphic I generated back in March:

GGWinsGens.png

As stated in the initial post, it's plainly evident that there was a changing of the guard in 2016, when Second Generation wins fell dramatically. My guess is that we'll see a similar shift around 2022, but the changeover won't be nearly as dramatic.

• I think this is a good opportunity to bring back this graphic I generated back in March:

GGWinsGens.png

As stated in the initial post, it's plainly evident that there was a changing of the guard in 2016, when Second Generation wins fell dramatically. My guess is that we'll see a similar shift around 2022, but the changeover won't be nearly as dramatic.

Wow this chart is so cool! When you put it visually like that you can really see the shift that happened in 2016. Very interesting!

• I'm not sure if new gen will get hits left and right but I think there will be an interest/hype shift for new groups in the next years (2022-2024), every group from big companies will have already debuted by then and oldest new groups will already have a strong fandom. 3rd gen groups will slow down as group as they get older and general hype/interest doesn't last forever either. I don't think exo or bts are going nowhere anytime soon unless the members decide so but the hype will go down even for them at some point (unless they pull off an IU ^^ )

• I think for the first time, the non-big 3/Hybe rookie girl groups that came out 2020/2021 look really professional and exciting. They don't look like rookies at all and they don't look like small agency groups. Their training, polish and talent can challenge any big 4 group and the quality and production values of their songs/MVs look so expensive and high class.

The Future of K-Pop

weekly-members-profile-mainpage.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!