So 4th gen started 3 years ago...

• And honestly...I think debuting during 4th gen is such an unlucky generation.

Even during 4th gen the current top groups of 3rd gen are still going strong and are not slowing down.

And yes the same thing happened with 3rd gen in the beginning, but by this time 3rd gen groups were starting to blow up with Exo releasing growl, BTS beginning to find success in Korea with INU, and Red Velvet becoming triple crown winners with ICC. Just to name a few.

However most 4th gen groups are failing to chart decently and don’t have the korean public’s attention. The only exceptions to this would probably be Gidle, Itzy, and Izone (But they’re disbanding in a few months)

So in my opinion, it’s gonna be very difficult for 4th gen groups to be the forefront of kpop.

The only way I see groups from the current gen blowing up is if most 3rd gen groups start disbanding or going on hiatus. And that probably won’t start happening until 2022.

But by then most 4th generation groups will be 3-4 years old. :(

Anyway what are your thoughts? Will 5th gen kickstart kpop in korea again or does 4th gen still have a chance?

• Maybe in 5 years all the most popular groups just didn't debuted right now, and this current gen is never considered 4th gen. It's most likely in few years that we will be able to clearly point at something that started 4th gen. RIght now its too early to say it.

I like you’re thinking but we are currently in the 4th generation of kpop. Koreans say so.

• Current 4th gen groups are just 2 years old. They still have a chance to blow up in the future. Don't write 4th gen off yet. Honestly, relax because 4th gen groups time will come. We just don't know when yet. :eyes::thumbup:

• I think people are prematurely jumping to name a new generation. Why? I don’t know why they’re so desperate for the start up of a new generation. Wonder Girls and SNSD started in 2007 and Sistar/Apink/EXID begin 3-5 years after them yet we consider them all the same generation. In a couple years, there could be a new generation at the forefront, but who knows if it will be the groups called 4th Gen now. The groups that are called fourth Gen now will be on their contract renewals. Will people consider them ending of the 4th Gen or just the end of the 3rd Gen. Regardless, generation don’t matter. Groups have different paths and some could live well on into the next generation or not. I say stop focusing on a generation and just enjoy the music.

• I think people are prematurely jumping to name a new generation. Why? I don’t know why they’re so desperate for the start up of a new generation. Wonder Girls and SNSD started in 2007 and Sistar/Apink/EXID begin 3-5 years after them yet we consider them all the same generation. In a couple years, there could be a new generation at the forefront, but who knows if it will be the groups called 4th Gen now. The groups that are called fourth Gen now will be on their contract renewals. Will people consider them ending of the 4th Gen or just the end of the 3rd Gen. Regardless, generation don’t matter. Groups have different paths and some could live well on into the next generation or not. I say stop focusing on a generation and just enjoy the music.

Interesting response

• Yes, they start during pandemic and so many people still forget about this. Their only opportunity to bond with their audiences is through lives or TV shows. They cannot meet with the fans.

Yeah that’s why I think 4th gen groups are gonna have a hard time taking off and won’t end up blowing up in korea until their later years.

• 4th gen could have been easily called 3.5 gen. Just like 2nd gen was long because it consisted of two parts. Gen 2.5 faced the same things gen 4 is facing now, living under the shadows of groups who hit extremely big at the right time. The issue is timing, not generation

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!