The era of amazing foreign idols in Kpop might be over forever

• Cpop will never become treat to kpop, they simply cant.

I have watched YWY, Chuang such that, but chinese idols make money mostly from brand endorsing, dramas & variety shows. They dont put that much music, well their music is okay but nothing outstanding, they are bad at making music videos & promoting the song. They dont have much stage for the promotion. And if u say just one bad word u will be banned from appearing tv forever so its really hard tho. But since the industry is big some can make some money there.

• Kinda off-topic but does anyone how Lana is doing or what's doing now?

She’s doing well! I saw a dance video on her channel that was posted a couple of hours ago I believe! I don’t know what she’s doing now as far as her career, but she’s been doing a lot of dance videos lately!

• Is it? Do you think Sunnee makes even half of Lisa's income? Lisa has endorsed AIS, the mobile phone service, so her face is everywhere and, set the record of highest ever endorsement fee for a single person. Black Pink has been plastered on Pepsi Zero as endorser. Even a kid in remote area knows Lisa, wanna be Lisa.

One in 500 million chance someone makes it as big as Lisa. They have better luck playing the lottery. Not to mention a lot of her popularity comes from China.

Sunnee is the most successful Thai singer in China ever yet, she has had no Thai endorsement and not even 10% of Thai population knows her.

Sunee doesn't have the same kind of appeal. She goes for the greasy tomboy vibe, which has a smaller audience in comparison.

Nene's fans have complaint of discrimination toward the Thai member and terrible overall management of the agency, Wajijiwa.

Just like Lisa fans complained about Lisa discrimination and BPink fans complain about YG. Everyone knows foreigners get paid less than native Koreans.

The question is when it will do so. All The9 and Bon Bon Girls's releases are terribly underwhelming.

They are making profit to their companies. That's all that matters. 99% of kpop "great songs" are unheard of or forgotten because they don't have the hype and marketing of Big 3/4s.

Chinese akgae culture also has to be erased for Chinese idol industry to thrive.

Those akgaes are the reason your unnies can sell hundreds of thousands of albums. You should be thanking them.

• China have 1.4b population, imagine just getting 1% of the cake.

Looking at SNH48 for reference. Everyone says they need to just hit that 1% of China and they will make bank but, the truth is the possibly is dim.

500 million is like 7 times of Thailand's population and almost 1 forth of world population. So, no, it's much higher than that. And, 1 in 500 millions still is higher than 0. Besides, what's the likelihood of a Thai/an Asian foreigner to hit as big as Sunnee in China?

Greasy tomboy is the very appeal that shoots her up in China.

You better look into Wajijiwa's problem before commenting. Lisa was not paid performer's right fee because Federation of Korean Music Performers (FKMP) has the regulation to not pay performers from nations not collecting performer's right royalty fee for Korean performers. It was not some biased discrimination. It's said the problem had been solved with Thai music distributors started collecting performer's right fee of foreign artists thus, Thai K-pop idols had been paid by FKMP. Anyway, performer's right fee has never been a big income source to the idol. The issue on Nene is another topic based solely on the bias. For example, Nene could not be on the magazine cover because she could not speak Chinese fluently ???!

Every popular idols make profit to their companies regardless of the country they are working in. So, this is a non-sensical point. Unheard of great songs still is better than bad songs that will never be heard of the because of no hype, no grand scale marketing. Have you heard of SIS or Pam? She's also working in China as singer, a member of SIS.

Yet, akgae culture is the reason why Chinese idols rarely active as group thus lack group cohesion.

• KPOP might be global but its idols don't make much compared to what they make locally in China. The former EXO-M -- Tao, Luhan and Kris -- make far more than their Korean teammates and likely more than any KPOP idol with possible exception of BTS. Even Lay, still with SM, makes most of his income in China. There is a reason why they are in China and not Korea. There is far more money there. Outside BTS, the "global" market for KPOP (or any other Asian pop) simply can't generate the same revenues as China alone. Why do you think Koreans recruit Chinese trainees? Because they like Chinese people? LoL. Of course, it is because of economics.

So viewing that -- I'd say Lisa is more well known than Sunnee but I am not convince that she actually makes that much more money. And if you take away Lisa's China CFs . . .

Sunnee is also signed by Universal which is literally the top music label globally. She had sold over 5M digital albums as a solo artist in China. Can Lisa do that in Korea? Her CFs includes Dove, McDonalds and many other international and national Chinese brands as a Rocket Girl.

Considering KPOP's split between company and idol is 90/10 (JYP gets 90% of Lisa's CFs), I think it is even more likely that Lisa and Sunnee have pretty comparable income.

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• One of the Thai ones, Rjing/A-jing something

Rjing is probably debuting with a new girl group under GMM (Thai entertainment conglomerate, but famous amongst i-fans for their BL's)

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!