How would you rank the following 3rd gen BGs into popularity/success tiers?

• "All of this is based on my own personal opinion and criteria. There's no real metric to it. Anyone who quotes me for the purpose of drama and arguing will be blocked"

Based on personal opinion with many factors involved:

S tier

Bts - self explanatory

A+ tier

seventeen - self explanatory

A tier

wanna one - back when they were active they were huge I feel they are at this level

Nct - basing this off every unit and each one having a different level of performance

B+

Exo - both exo and vixx haven't done much in years but when they do they make an impact so I feel this is right for them

Vixx

B

Sf9 - I'm biased they deserve to be higher but alas they are not

Pentagon - Pentagon is talented hui is amazing they also deserve to be higher but I don't feel they are

Monsta x - same as sf9 and pentagon

Btob - they are huge they make good music but I don't feel they are much higher probably a little lower but their longevity makes me think they are B level

Day6 - I didn't want icyruios coming for me lol

C+

Ikon - I personally am not a fan of their music and I don't hear much from them

got7 - I like a few songs but I don't think they rank that high

C

Winner - I never hear about them really

D

Astro - I put them here cause the harsh reality is eunwoo hard carries them despite the tragedy they don't make much noise music wise

F

Idk just my opinion

If you want to base this on sales alone which i used koreansalestwt:

S tier

BTS - 45mil sales (roughly)

A+ tier

Seventeen - 35mil sales (roughly)

A tier

NCT Dream - 16mil

Exo - 15.5mil sales (roughly)

NCT 127 - 12.2mil

B+

NCT U - 6.7mil

Got7 - 5mil roughly

Monsta X - 4.7mil roughly

Wanna One - 3.5mil roughly (though i don't know why someone would include them when they were a temp group and disbanded, however MANY amazing soloists came from Wanna One)

B

Astro - 1.78mil

BTOB - 1.6mil

VIXX - 1.5mil

SF9 - 1.5mil

Wayv - 1.3mil

C+

Ikon - 1.1mil

Winner - 1.1mil

C

Pentagon - 700k

Day6 - 700k

D

F

• I assume you mean success today rather than legacy-wise? NCT above EXO is quite bold.

Interesting you put iKON below Pentagon and SF9 :/ I always thought of Pentagon as a one-hit wonder group (with Shine), none of their other releases made much noise. I'd put them and SF9 at the bottom.

• Idk what EXO did to you for you to hate them but it’s always hilarious to see your unabashed dislike and then you’ll play dumb about it. :angryr::cryingr:

• I assume you mean success today rather than legacy-wise? NCT above EXO is quite bold.

Interesting you put iKON below Pentagon and SF9 :/ I always thought of Pentagon as a one-hit wonder group (with Shine), none of their other releases made much noise. I'd put them and SF9 at the bottom.

Nahhh they’re just a hater just for EXO maybe some EXOL personally wronged them 😭😭😭

• I would say

S tier - self explanatory indeed

BTS

A+ tier - legacy wise

EXO

A tier - solid success both domestic and international

Seventeen

NCT

B+ - only below A because they disbanded too fast

Wanna One

B - sizeable global fandom

GOT7

Monsta X

C+ - domestic success, not that big internationally

iKON

BTOB

WINNER

VIXX

C

DAY6

Astro

D

SF9

Pentagon

F

other nugu groups like A.C.E etc

• What an awful ranking :pepe-joy:

• Yeah mine is exact same mostly.

But I’d put day6 higher 👀. Their digitals and performance is very underrated. I’d place them at B+ easily.

Like you’re beautiful is back in the melon top 100.

But I’d put day6 higher 👀. Their digitals and performance is very underrated. I’d place them at B+ easily.

They were the ones I have some doubts. Cause, I think they've never been a stand out comercially in terms of physicals, digitals or touring, they were just 'okay' in everything through their career.

But at the same time, I think they have an extense recognition in their name that can't only be measured in numbers and have been showing impressive longevity, judging their Digital performance...

I think you are right and I should've indeed put them higher :/

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• Putting Ikon and Winner that low and BTOB in the same tier as basically nobodies.. oh jesus

Anyways this shit has way too many tiers

Ayo I feel too many people are underestimating day6

icyruios defend?? Channel some of that Yama energy

Day 6 have random digital hits once in a while but otherwise pretty much no impact, no fanbase.

• Putting Ikon and Winner that low and BTOB in the same tier as basically nobodies.. oh jesus

Anyways this shit has way too many tiers

Day 6 have random digital hits once in a while but otherwise pretty much no impact, no fanbase.

It’s actually a wrong assumption. They are actually one of the most streamed artists in YouTube Korea and even now their six year old song just entered Melon top 100 not saying it’s be all end all. But they’re way more consistent and their legacy is bigger than you give them credit for.

Day6 doesnt deserve to be on the same level as winner and ikon tbh. Also their digitals are very overrated

pasted-from-clipboard.png

If anything Day6 digitals are overrated as hell.

• It’s actually a wrong assumption. They are actually one of the most streamed artists in YouTube Korea and even now their six year old song just entered Melon top 100 not saying it’s be all end all. But they’re way more consistent and their legacy is bigger than you give them credit for.

I mean look at charts? Day6 has 1 top 20 single on gaon chart otherwise no other song hit top 50.. they are overrated.

Winner's biggest flop song nearly beat Day6 best performing song.

• Winner and ikon don’t have longevity so that’s why they are lower for me. I’d actually place ikon below Day6 for that reason. But I was generous in saying it’s ok to keep ikon there lol.

• I mean look at charts? Day6 has 1 top 20 single on gaon chart otherwise no other song hit top 50.. they are overrated.

Winner's biggest flop song nearly beat Day6 best performing song.

Sorry no. I don’t consider ikon to be that impactful with how short their lifespan is.

Winner an argument can be made and I will concede. But imo in the long run day6 will be more remembered than them as well but for now I can concede I don’t feel strongly.

• I mean in what way? Winner and Ikon aint promoting but Winner and Ikon first albums pretty much out performed day6 whole career.

Isn't Day6 on military hiatus too?

As tic said there's one old Day6 song charting on Melon rn and it seems their catalog is well-liked generally speaking, and considering they are a band not a traditional idol group, I'd say their relative success is impressive. They have decent streams on Spotify as well.

• iKON was such an unlucky group. They debut album was huge, I think the songs all together have over 5 million downloads. YG saw this and decided to hold them hostage on Japan for 2 years and basically made them losing their buzz.

They recovered with Love Scenario's success and when they were enjoying the fruits from their previous peak, their backbone member left.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• This is not based on personal prefferences, but on what I think people made out of the groups

S BTS
    A+EXO
    ANCT, SEVENTEEN
    B+BTOB
    BGOT7, iKON, MONSTA X, PENTAGON, WANNA ONE, WINNER
    C+ASTRO, SF9, DAY6, VIXX
    C
    D
    E
    F

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Ayo I feel too many people are underestimating day6

icyruios defend?? Channel some of that Yama energy

Imagine ending everyone that is supposedly "above Day6" with a 2017 song, for a group that hasn't promoted any comeback since 2019

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Beating top tier acts (I suppose) like Twice and ITZY with zero promotion, with 2 songs one in 2017 and 2019, which explains their longevity not many groups have that

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Being the 2nd most streamed with zero promotion since 2019 zero comeback since 2021

External Content x.com

Attaining new peaks even 6 years after release

External Content x.com

For those people who are comparing their "older digital points" vs in 2023, this is how it looks like. Basically in 2023 alone their digitals are more than their past 4 years combined in their military era

External Content x.com

The NATION'S REPRESENTATIVE BAND

External Content x.com

Another song rising for the new year

External Content x.com

Where is Winner and Ikon you tell me?

External Content x.com

The top JYPE act, like y'all think I'm bullshitting when I say Day6 is JYPE's best digital act right now

External Content x.com

Also

External Content x.com

Imagine being ended by NUGUS THAT HAVEN'T COMEBACK SINCE 2021, AND HASNT HAD A TELEVISED PERFORMANCE SINCE 2019

;judgingpepe:;judgingpepe:;judgingpepe:

• Them having their best digital year in 2023 is so insane man. For me their legacy is easily one of the biggest for 3rd gen.

• Damn their 2023 stats are impressive. Any particular reason that triggered it or is it just pure organic growth :eyes:

• Yes if you don’t promote longer you’re get put bottom on the list. That’s a very important criteria.

Just because you promote more doesnt mean your more popular lmfao.

Isn't Day6 on military hiatus too?

As tic said there's one old Day6 song charting on Melon rn and it seems their catalog is well-liked generally speaking, and considering they are a band not a traditional idol group, I'd say their relative success is impressive. They have decent streams on Spotify as well.

No offence but Melon is pretty easily maniuplated by boy groups I prefer to look at Gaon.

Almost like they are having their viral moment but even then their digital points are not really impressive

Winner and Ikon are too busy sitting on a lot of money and success that Day6 will never beat. Also Winner doing military..

Them having their best digital year in 2023 is so insane man. For me their legacy is easily one of the biggest for 3rd gen.

People are high on something jesus. Imagine thinking some nugu group that has 1 song doing well is on the same level as winner. Even Vixx has better digitally then Day6, I think its recency bias they are peaking now when Gen 3 is basically already over day 6 did nothing for the first like 6 years of their career.

Damn their 2023 stats are impressive. Any particular reason that triggered it or is it just pure organic growth :eyes:

They most likely went viral or something

• Agree with the split of Dream Vs 127. But I would put dream in B+ and 127 in B now looking at it. But then again Dream is so young while seventeen will start enlisting next year so it’s hard for me to properly measure. Seventeen this year is higher tho I feel than any NCT unit.

If LMR revival and First Snow plus their 2mil sales hadn’t happened this year I would have put them above EXO over all as well thank god EXO escaped nugudom

• Yes that’s my criteria.

• Damn their 2023 stats are impressive. Any particular reason that triggered it or is it just pure organic growth :eyes:

It's the power of creating meaningful music that transcends time

;judgingpepe:;judgingpepe:;judgingpepe:

You might not be the fastest out of the race, but you will be there at the finish line on top

:pepe-angel::pepe-angel::pepe-angel:

There isn't really a particular reason, but Day6 has all along been that beloved band that SK loves. Their lyircs are meaningful that speaks to the hearts of people. They are not your typical boy band so they don't have tons of fans that go crazy over the "visual aspect" of KPOP that I suppose a lot of people actually care about aka dance aspect.

They let their songwriting and vocals do the talking and people are slowly appreciating that.

Just to add on for their latest song that rose to Top 100 Melon, "You Were Beautiful" aka YEPPEOSEO is a sleeper hit that doesnt peak at the start, but has insane longevity over many years.

Your faves are all fans of this song

External Content www.youtube.com

Yes there are so many that there is a part 2

External Content www.youtube.com

Their other hit "Time Of Our Life" aka TOOL, also got a resurgence this year. Many idols covered it, it's too many to link. And because of the lyrics, it tends to rise when New Year is coming. Us asians we are superstitious about these sort of things, and TOOL has meaningful lyrics that "brings about new wonders and joy for the new year". It is similar to how WJSN's "As You Wish" also rises when new year is coming.

To add on, Day6 had a 3 day concert few days ago, fully sold out, showing how many fans have waited and anticipated their return

Here is a video of MyDays singing TOOL

External Content x.com

It's been tough but they are finally back, when 2024 comes we will be ready for their comeback to wow us again with their amazing music

• Not me being a shooter for day6 when a whole icy exists :pepe-army:

Nugus support nugus

:pepe-toast::pepe-toast:

I mean even Baekhyun is a shooter for Day6 he was like you bitches sing Day6 better than my own songs. Imagine the entire concert of baekhyun fans know and can sing YEPPEOSEO fanchants so well Day6 must be so flop

External Content x.com

• I guess exo are flops then if thats for criteria and day6 must be bigger then them now right? Thats how stupid your criteria is.

Bestie first snow is one of the biggest bg hit of the year not to mention LMR virality earlier this year caused some insane boost to EXO’s international listener base eye- 😭😭😭😭

EXO also sold 2 million albums this year apart from that.

Do you some how think ikon and winner are comparable to EXO is that why you made this statement :angryr: :cryingr:

I’m just happy everyday that YG has collapsed just to see YG Stan’s responses like this grasping at straws :angryr: :cryingr:

• This thread contains 254 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!