should we use Youtube chart instead of melon chart to determine biggest song in korea ?

• imo we will most likely shift to the Global charts - billboard global, spotify global, youtube global (streaming not views) et. al., in the next couple of years.

I half suspect, that YG is bypassing promoting in Korea, which if it works, will shift all efforts in the future for kpop companies.

• youtube has surpassed Melon and has largest market share in korea. Youtube stream also significant higher than on Melon.

what do you think ?

Source? Last i checked top 10 songs still had more weekly streams on melon than youtube korea

And even if youtube is larger now its only by a few percent. Melon used to be the sole metric because it had 40%+ of the market and no other service was close

Edited once, last by Kreatin ().

• I think the best way for the moment is to used both Melon and Youtube chart as an indicator

because both have for the moment pretty equal market share even if i think Youtube will overtake Melon on the long run

but the gap between both isn't big enough to consider that one is more important than the other for the moment

and it would be great to see the age target of both platform because the charting looks very different when you look at Melon and Youtube

if you look at Melon for example recently it look like Perfect Night was the biggest song (29 days at #1))

if you look at Youtube Music chart it looks like Drama was bigger (because it's already in its 4th weeks #1 and tie with I AM there)

First snow is also doing completely different if you are watching Youtube or Melon

it's already #1 on Melon and getting RAK

while on youtube chart it enter the top 10 just this week

I'm curious to understand why songs do so differently based on if you're looking at Youtube charts or if you look at melon chart

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

• imo we will most likely shift to the Global charts - billboard global, spotify global, youtube global (streaming not views) et. al., in the next couple of years.

I half suspect, that YG is bypassing promoting in Korea, which if it works, will shift all efforts in the future for kpop companies.

I fail to see how global charts will ever say what the biggest song in korea is

Global chart will never have any impact on what's popular in korea to be honest

big songs internationally from big international artist like tayllor swift, ariana grande, etc... have a real struggle to enter koreans chart unless it goes very viral there like Yummy from Justin bieber

and on the second hand big acts in korean chart like Lim young woo or Taeyeon who keeps getting top 10 hits and are big household name in korea are completely inexistent in global chart

another example is how Newjeans songs this year have been the best performing song internationally

but in Korea it's by far Ive "I AM " who was the biggest song

international and koreans are two different publics who doesn't have the same taste at all

so you can't use a global chart to consider what's bigger in korea

• Going by the more in depth study released in august. Youtube have the biggest share of college age demo, while melon is still first in all other age brackets and have a somewhat better cross section of the population.

Youtube also naturally favours artists and songs with hight budget mvs etc. A black pink video is likely to get alot more views and repeat views than a new jang bom yeun song. Add on to that the 10+ different music shows live clips most idol groups promote etc which all help accumulate streams

• Going by the more in depth study released in august. Youtube have the biggest share of college age demo, while melon is still first in all other age brackets and have a somewhat better cross section of the population.

Youtube also naturally favours artists and songs with hight budget mvs etc. A black pink video is likely to get alot more views and repeat views than a new jang bom yeun song. Add on to that the 10+ different music shows live clips most idol groups promote etc

not sure i would agree

considering how Qwer is #3 on the weekly youtube music chart

while they are #61 on Melon

also Youtube Music really seems as influence by what's viral or trendy

considering how hard it is for christmas songs to enter the youtube music chart coompare to how eeasy it was on melon

• high budget might be the wrong word....maybe more the vidoes/artist that makes more "visually stimulant" videos and are targeted towards certain demographics that are more likely to consume visual media often.. Kpop in other words.

Id agree with viral/trendy part

For christmas songs i think a part of it could be stores, public places etc where christmas songs are played now are more likely using melon or some of the domestic services over youtube.

edit: also youtube unlike all domestic services, doesnt filter by ULs

• Id agree with viral/trendy part

For christmas songs i think a part of it could be stores, public places etc where christmas songs are played now are more likely using melon or some of the domestic services over youtube.

idk but it does look funny

because actually christmas songs own most of the top 10 in the youtube music shorts

but in contrary of melon where trendy things from youtube short and tik tok seems to easily translate in the shart

the trendy songs on youtube shorts doesn't seem to translate on the youtube chart

but it also looks much easier for more nugu group to do well on youtube (which isn't bad for once) because VIVIZ maniac is already #11 here

while it enter Melon top 100 just few days ago

• The problem with YouTube is it will count content like dance practices and live performances in the chart

It can end very different from the other charts. Thre are songs in top 10 of YouTube that aren't in the top 30 of any other chart. It's a very weird chart you think that way

It also works differently. It count streams instead of ULs, which I personally like but yeah

• I fail to see how global charts will ever say what the biggest song in korea is

It doesn't. How a song charts in Korea for globally successful group is of zero consequence. Examples are Twice and Stray Kids. They do not chart well in Korea, yet are #2 active girl and boy groups globally in terms of revenue, since Korea only contributes a couple of percent of their total revenue.

If YG bypass Korea in their promotions and marketing for BM and produce on of the future top groups, you may see other and even most big kpop companies take the same route.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!