[Naver]Hollywood: Taylor Swift

• Hollywood: Taylor Swift

0005634107_002_20231207191804727.jpg

Article: No other singer like her in history... the world is under a 'Taylor Swift Craze'

Source: E-Daily via Naver

[+568, -142] Yeah, I don't know... I never thought her music was so shockingly good or anything to own a generation like this. Her marketing's amazing for sure but I do feel like the fact that she's a white woman plays a lot into her appeal.

[+277, -23] I don't know any of her songs...

[+312, -95] I mean, we're satisfied with our K-Pop music so we don't explore beyond that, but Taylor Swift is definitely a world star... her music sales alone are numbers where she's making money even while taking a crap... Thinking that she's nothing special because you don't nkow her songs is really embarrassing just proves that you live in a pond and have never explored the sea beyond you. Broaden your horizon. Taylor Swift has a lot of songs with poetic lyrics.

[+147, -4] I'm aware of her dating scandals, that she's tall, and that she's popular, but none of her songs... I've only ever heard of her through the news.

[+111, -11] Remember when she got on the subway in Korea and no one recognized her ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

[+28, -4] I just don't know any of her songs. I guess I'll have to listen to see how she's being compared to the likes of Michael Jackson and Elvis. Seems a bit overblown.

[+26, -3] She keeps being called this great artist but I don't remember any of her songs. I mean, shouldn't a singer of such a title mean that at least one of her songs is memorable in everyone's mind? I can list you plenty of songs off the top of my head by Britney Spears, Avril Lavigne, Beyonce, Justin Bieber, Rihanna, etc (and of course the legends like Beatles, Bob Dylan, Elton John)... so yeah, I just took a listen to all her highest ranking songs on the billboard and as someone who is not American, they're not resonating with me.

[+22, -1] The only singer who will never once be repeated in history is Michael Jackson for me........

[+15, -1] It'd be nice if I could even remember one song by her

[+17, -4] Just seems like another phenomenon of another white woman getting all the support and Americans going crazy over it. She's dominating the entire music industry? Yeah, sure. Maybe just the US. She's amazing in the US, I don't doubt that, but all over the world? ㅋㅋ That sounds so US supremacist.

[+13, -1] Her singing skills may not be the best of the best but she's an amazing singer songwriter and puts out high quality albums. She's unimaginably rich, works really hard on her career, puts out albums often, and you can feel how genuinely she's in love with her craft. The reason she's not popular in Korea is because her singing skills aren't exceptional and her songs are country in genre, which Koreans don't really enjoy. Also, officially, she's never had a concert here.

[+9, -1] I always found it odd how little popularity she has in Korea... 😮

[+7, -0] She's definitely one of the top female soloists of our generation (some foreign media even think she's surpassed Beyonce), but yeah, she's barely popular over here in Korea;; the majority probably have never even heard of her name. I do find her quite a talented singer songwriter, though.

http://netizenbuzz.bl0gspot.com/2023/12/hollywood-taylor-swift.html

• She's definitely not a great vocalist, but idk, her songs speak to my soul. She has very genuine girl heart lyrics (even when she writes songs about her ex most of the time). I know some of her songs are kinda petty and stupid but it's petty in a "I can kinda feel you girl" kind of way lol. I Forgot That You Existed is one good example.

Since her appeal focus so much on her lyrics, most people who don't speak english or understand the lyrics wouldn't get her appeal, so I kinda get why koreans don't really get her popularity. She's not somebody you would stan based on her vocal skills lol.

x o x o

c6tcSa5.gif

• She doesn’t need Korea. She dominates pretty much everywhere else. Unreal what she’s accomplishing on this tour.

I like some of her music, but I’m growing tired of her. It’s just too much.

• My friends forced me to see her concert movie. I have to acknowledge and respect her impact. She literally broke the Billboard and touring. A tour that brings in 1 billion??? Christ. And her generational reach is insane. I was shook when all the pre teen girls flooded to the front of the theater and loudly sang every lyric to every song. I did not know she was that popular with kids that young

• The fact that some of them say It online, but If she booked Jamsil Stadium for The Eras they'd have fought for their lifes to get tickets for the name and cultural impact of the tour alone, since they always workship any big western act that tour there while fail to pay to see most of theirs artists, what is laughable.

I agree koreans love to shit on western artist but the moment they visit (like Margot Robbie) they are all over them and praising them and feeling proud such a big western artist visited korea and liked it, they are so hypocrital

• Wait, wasnt You Belong with Me, Love Story, Blank space, I Knew You Were Trouble, Shake it Off WW hits??

Koreans must be kidding when they say they dont know ANY of Taylor's songs. I can understand that lately her #1s songs are not really super popular WW but she has a solid catalogue of hits under her pocket.

• Wait, wasnt You Belong with Me, Love Story, Blank space, I Knew You Were Trouble, Shake it Off WW hits??

Koreans must be kidding when they say they dont know ANY of Taylor's songs. I can understand that lately her #1s songs are not really super popular WW but she has a solid catalogue of hits under her pocket.

You Belong With Me and Love Story were very local hits at the time they were released. The global recognition of the existence of these songs as classics in Taylor's discography began to expand at the moment that Taylor Swift's brand recognition began to expand, not because they were instant hits in several countries.

For example, here in my country, Taylor's name grew because around the time of Fearless, she joined a series of projects that were popular with niche young audiences like Hannah Montana movie (where she cameoed and wrote a song for) and the Jonas Brothers show that went to theaters. That's when me and several people by my age knew her and became fans, not because her songs were being massive.

I would say the first signs of instant global hits were felt during the RED era with I Knew You Were Trouble (and even We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together to a lesser extent), including in Asia. Where she first visited China, Japan and SEA with the tour.

But Taylor's real global breakthrough came in the 1989 era when she went full pop, starting with Shake It Off. At least in a big part of the world, in Korea, she never really had those big instant hits If we use charting, downloads or streaming to measure like Ariana Grande was getting during the same year (2014).

It's hard for me to say most of koreans don't know her songs, cause I don't live there, but I believe that Taylor Swift's brand had been so globally big that even If her songs weren't hits on your country, a lot of people search previous successful songs at least to find out where the hype is coming from. And her re-releases have been helpful for that.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

They really aren't, while she has a couple of hits in Japan (WANEGBT and Shake it off) she has no songs that charted well in korea

I used the circle chart search function to see how she charted each year since 2010

pasted-from-clipboard.png

No songs charted in 2011, 2013-2016 and 2018-2023

ead47f74c3dc14bd46149812f2155b77.jpgImage ⁘ 007833105f6b7733cb4d3f8c61fa19ae.jpg3291b57d2612af71f190a448dba0c51c.jpg

• Lol Koreans really do live in their own little world

Not even the Beatles or Michael Jackson had a year like she just did in both sales and cultural impact

Either your’re 10 years old or on crack. Michael Jackson literally has the best selling album of all time and the best selling soloist of all time, he has also influenced every other male pop artist that followed him. She’s not even the best selling female artist….

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

Never heard of these songs, but i know the rest. I checked wiki to learn more and saw they are country pop. Why would you think country pop songs would be ww hits lol

Not even the Beatles or Michael Jackson had a year like she just did in both sales and cultural impact

Where did she have cultural impact? In Korea? WW? The Beatles and Micheal Jackson didn't have cultural impact like taylor? :clown: how old are you? 9?

God knows how many people will come here next year to Rammstein's concert. Do they have cultural impact here? No, they don't. They just have a lot of fans.

No current western artist have cultural impact here. I know it's hard for you to get it but there you are. The artists you mentioned that had no cultural impact did have cultural impact everywhere. In fact, they changed the music industry. Add Madonna there too.

"Didn't have cultural impact" lol. if there was award for biggest clown on akp you would easily win it

• Might as well add on Whitney, Celine, Mariah, Janet… a whole list of female soloists who have had more cultural impact than Taylor Swift lolol. Hell Britney fucking Spears!

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

• Might as well add on Whitney, Celine, Mariah, Janet… a whole list of female soloists who have had more cultural impact than Taylor Swift lolol. Hell Britney fucking Spears!

Agree but I'd say that the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Madona and Elvis (forgot to mention him!) changed the game. Britney is an icon too! A lot of artists tried to copy her but nobody couldn't come close to her impact.

Taylor Swift lol. They must be trolling. Ask random people in non English speaking country do they know who she is. Not fans, random people. And then mention artists we mentioned. I don't think op would like the answer

Again, they must be trolling

• Not even Bruno Mars????

sooyoung-snsd.gif

No :pepe-peek:

Western artists ofc have their fan base; hell, Rammstein has a huge one too and they sing in German. I doubt more than 10% speak the language, and i was probably was too generous with the number ^^ but cultural impact? Nope. We like our music more. Our (female) singer sold out 5 arenas in Croatia, and that's more than 110k in a country of less than 4 million people! Western artists cannot compete with our singers!

• Never heard of these songs, but i know the rest. I checked wiki to learn more and saw they are country pop. Why would you think country pop songs would be ww hits lol

Those two are not really country despite taylor was "country" that time. Those 2 are super pop-ish and are literally her most popular songs in Asia region

Interesting to know that korean doesnt really caught in that craze.. you belong with me 1.5bil views and love story 700mil on YT. Those are the old days where she wasnt that popular WW

• Those two are not really country despite taylor was "country" that time. Those 2 are super pop-ish and are literally her most popular songs in Asia region

Interesting to know that korean doesnt really caught in that craze.. you belong with me 1.5bil views and love story 700mil on YT. Those are the old days where she wasnt that popular WW

I'm southeast European. i just checked charts for both songs on wiki.

You Belong with Me - Wikipedia
    en.m.wikipedia.org

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik…_Story_(Taylor_Swift_song)

They did extremely well in Japan. In Europe love song had better charting and you belong with me was meh. And these numbers are peak. Korea isn't even listed

European non English speaking countries charting is really interesting

Yeah cause you lived through MJ and The Beatles dominant eras...edgy kids these days lacking any sense

• girlboss taylor swift is tightlipped about the atrocities happening in israel palestine war. She can't take any side lol. She's a total hypocrite and fake feminist

• Either your’re 10 years old or on crack. Michael Jackson literally has the best selling album of all time and the best selling soloist of all time, he has also influenced every other male pop artist that followed him. She’s not even the best selling female artist….

No one is denying that overall, MJ and The Beatles are the pinnacle of success but for a singular year, she outdid both

- She's sold over 40m album units just this year

- Her concert movie made 250m despite only being available for like 3 weeks

- Her stadium tour sold out in pre-sale around the world, had millions waiting in queues to buy tickets and is already estimated to be the biggest ever and it's not even half way done

This doesn't even include being named Time Person of the Year something no other musical act has ever achieved or becoming a billionaire just off the strength of her music..

• She has not sold 40 million album units this year. You’re delusional. Maybe total since her career in the US. But not this year.

Concert movies and touring wasn’t as big of a thing back in the 80’s and 90’s. Most artists made their money through physical album sales.

Michael Jackson literally has the best selling album in history for any artist and that’s just pure sales with no easy streaming.

Michael Jackson also has influenced multiple generations of artists to this day!

Top it off, to this day MJ holds the biggest music deal contract in history and it was made after he passed!

• Taylor Swift is always undefeated!!! Koreans seriously will never be matched up to her level!!! Yes Koreans are in their own little world!!! 😆😆😆😆 After all just look at their standards 😁Plus they obviously adore The US!!! 😆😆😆😆

• girlboss taylor swift is tightlipped about the atrocities happening in israel palestine war. She can't take any side lol. She's a total hypocrite and fake feminist

Of course she does not say anything about that. Everything you say about the confilct will blow up in your face. If you say anything a bunch of people will be pissed at you.

• She has not sold 40 million album units this year. You’re delusional. Maybe total since her career in the US. But not this year

40 million total album units on US during all her career? You are severely understimating her. She's sold over 15 million album units on US this year alone.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I don't know where the 40 million globally estimative come from, maybe chartmasters (?). But I wouldn't be surprised If she really came close to it this year.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• Never heard of these songs, but i know the rest. I checked wiki to learn more and saw they are country pop. Why would you think country pop songs would be ww hits lol

Lol there is a level to living under a rock lol.

I can never imagine there are people who can be so removed from pop culture. By doing nothing I know half the shit because of twitter and tiktok and other social media.

You must literally willingly close your eyes or you’re just playing dumb.

• This thread contains 28 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!