MELON MUSIC AWARD 2023 : Bop vs Flop

• Flop

Watched the performances apart from one or two

Lack of good performers.

Like New Jeans songs the most out of everyone attending but (and I know they had issues) I still have yet to see a truly impactful or strong stage from them. They remind me a bit of early Twice, their vibe and songs just don’t translate to cool stages. All the bad remixes as well, shocker. Outside of song selection I realised I don’t vibe with a lot of what Ador do.

Aespa were decent but the group feels like it’s always missing something.

Ive are like NJ. The fact they’re also trying to do more girl crush songs when it doesn’t fit any of the members doesn’t work for me either. Couldn’t take most of their stage seriously.

BGs did whatever BGs do. No epic stages like we’ve seen from Big Bang, EXO and BTS over the years.

On the gg side this award show really nailed down to me that LSF are the most interesting group to watch perform. They have the vibe and songs that fit these types of events :pepe-narrow-eyes:

Edit: forgot to say. It was ridiculous to close with the least prestigious Daesang that was basically a handout to appease the fans there, who were also crap for most artists.

The fact that Artist of the Year didn’t close with all the confetti and whatnot was hilarious. It’s the biggest award. They had to give that to a BG again though :pepe-cross:

• You seen NJ's Lollapalooza set? That was their peak performance so far.

• Why is MAMA getting all the hate when MMA is at least on the same scale as in terms of shamelessness as MAMA is?

Aespa Global.. What?

Then the last DAESANG Record of the year with the confetti to WHOOO?!?!

Ngl the record of the year Daesang belongs to the Top3 rigged daesang I've ever seen.

• Award shows don’t matter anymore. I think they peaked when 2nd gen and 3 gen groups performed I don’t find 4th gen groups really as appealing performance wise.

• You seen NJ's Lollapalooza set? That was their peak performance so far.

Yes but I don’t think it was anything special.

Though festivals shows don’t always translate that well to media unless you have a really vibey performance a la BP 2019 Coachella.

I think the group is just too young on average at the moment and they don’t command the stage to make up for their genre of songs. I think a lot of the new 4th gen struggle with that including Ive.

I’m curious to see how they perform if they ever go for a stronger concept or do a cover. It’s easier to hype a crowd when you’re singing something like D4 over Super Shy. I thought the Gods stage the other day was good in places

• That's a shame. I was at that lollapalooza stage, and I thought their set was incredible, especially when you consider it was their first time ever in the U.S. as a group and the audience was literally over 70,000 strong. There was actually a lot of pressure and expectations and nerves going into that stage, and despite their relative youth and inexperience, they delivered.

They came out with hand mics, did everything live with minimal backtrack, engaged with the crowd endlessly the whole time, and maximized the 45 minutes they had to completely win over that huge audience. Maybe you just don't vibe with their music or performance style?

But I saw Mamamoo, Twice and BlackPink over one year span prior to lolla, and I didn't find NJ lacking at all at lolla.

This was my view for reference

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Maybe one day they'll put on a stage that blows away even you

• They were number one on my Spotify Wrapped this year, I assure you the music is not the issue on my side :pepe-narrow-eyes: though I accept that certain genres translate better into performances and I don’t think there’s is one.

Their performance style yeah. I’m not a fan of. I don’t think they’re engaging performances like you get from a LSF.

This MAMA wasn’t good at all but that’s as much down do the directing/concept with so many solo slots and bad remixes I guess

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!