People need to reevaluate what a flop is or at least wait until THE ALBUM IS OUT.

• "Either Way" isn't even their title track, they still have one more song then after that the title track and people are already calling it a flop. A song being number 22 on Melon is not a flop. If I remember correctly same thing happened with Aespa and welcome to my world. People are foaming at the mouth to call groups flops. A CB being successful or not does not just depend on charts but sales, public reception, and other factors. At least wait until the CB is over god damn.

Companies aren't stupid (well not that much) they know slow songs like Either Way and Welcome to my world won't do that well but that's not the point. Not everything is made to do extremely well on charts.

Either Way, the song is doing good. (see what I did there, freaking Jane Austen I tell you).

• It's called a title track on their official track list.

Obvi not a flop, but I do think the GP is kinda over the trend of artists putting out 3 or 4 MV Title Tracks. NJ's didn't do as well recently, V's didn't go crazy

• It is a title track by Starship, but it didn't get a decent rollout by the company sadly. The reason why a title track is called a title track is because a company will promote them. Ether Way is a title track, but it should be called as a b-side with a MV with how they promote them.

They may think that they are gonna promote the song after the album release and it got a MV so it is called as a "title track". However, I think they need to do a better job so that everyone should at least know that IVE have released something.

• NJ's didn't do as well recently

This isn't remotely true, unless MelOn is all you care about.

ADOR didn't even do a Monday release for Get Up; the songs were released on Friday to specifically target the global charts.

Super Shy spent 8 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 (only Cupid was on the chart longer), and the Get Up album had 3 songs (ETA and Cool With You) on the chart simultaneously, which no K-Pop girl group has ever done.

Get Up also topped the Billboard 200, edging out the Barbie OST for most pure albums sold in the U.S., and months later, it is still in the top 10 of most albums sold in the U.S.--a first for any K-Pop girl group.

By every measure, Get Up was a massive success and ADOR got better results than they could've hoped for.

I don't know why people keep bringing up NewJeans to damage control IVE not performing as well with the first of their three planned title tracks, but the situations aren't comparable.

• Kitsch - Melon Peak #1, 496,449 ULs

Either Way - Melon Peak #13, ~125,000 ULs

Both are pre-release title tracks. i.e. Kakao/Starship sajaegi = 375,000 ULs

Flop is cannot even top 10 without sajaegi

Yes they will #1 with Baddie for sure, but we now know its only because of sajaegi

Edited once, last by K-PL ().

• I think we talk about melon :whatk: ( I don’t agree with the user but you always talking about the US even we speak about K-O-R-E-A

• I think we talk about melon :whatk: ( I don’t agree with the user but you always talking about the US even we speak about K-O-R-E-A

I talk about both, fam. Look me up and verify that.

The post would've been twice as long if I included the domestic accomplishments of Get Up.

I mean, we've been here before. Only two girl group songs have ever been #1 on the Melon for 50 days or longer--Ditto and Super Shy. Only one group even has two songs that have charted at #1 for 50 days or longer on Melon--NewJeans.

Stop the cap and stop the unwarranted comparisons.

They're on that next level :pepe-smug:

And I'll throw in--I wonder why Starship is dropping the remaining title tracks on FRIDAY instead of MONDAY, if all we care about is K-O-R-E-A. That's something you only do if you're targeting the song tracking period for international charts like Billboard, since it's a terrible day to drop a new song for Korean charting.

• My hot take is that people aren't really fans if they care more about a song's charting position than the song itself.

"Either Way" has arguably the best lyrics of a K-pop song this year, and that's far more important. The main writer did an amazing job. This is lyricism at its finest.

it's a more personal song that's for sure. i love the song and the synth beat

• A song being number 22 on Melon is not a flop.

This was you 10 days ago or so -

I quote - Itzy and Nmixx are not doing well. Itzy and Nmixx have both had a song reach 22 this year on Melon. Why is it different for them? Why are you contradicting yourself?

• My hot take is that people aren't really fans if they care more about a song's charting position than the song itself.

"Either Way" has arguably the best lyrics of a K-pop song this year, and that's far more important. The main writer did an amazing job. This is lyricism at its finest.

yeah i feel the same i hate how so many discussions are just based on charting rather than how much people like the music.

the thing thats most important to me is how good the song sounds + mv + lyrics. for me the music video definitely brought either way up to another level and made me enjoy listening to it more. its a great song and im glad that they made it because it just shows that they are willing to try different things

• I'll post what I've said before

I think it's because there are various definitions of the word flop

I've said it before that (only in relation to kcharting)

1. to not chart at all - fairly obvious that if one fails to enter the charts at all then it's a flop

2. to not chart as well as previous songs - this is fairly understandable that if a group had a PAK for one song but the next song only made it (let's say to the top 20) then one might argue that since the song didn't do as well as previously then it's a flop

3. to not chart as well compared to their peers - the question who one's peers are is important since charting is by it's very definition about who one is higher or lower than...some people will say if x charted worse than y then x is a flop

4. to not chart as well as expectations (this is the most subjective) - here a group flops because there is an expectation that certain groups will perform well whether based on prior success or company reputation...this generally applies to the larger or more popular groups - ie. if IU failed to chart (maybe) in the top 5 then one might argue that because of IU's prior successes then her level of expectations is much higher than a lesser known artist or group...

here in IVE's case one might argue that it's number 2 - they have charted worse than their previous song and thus some people might claim it's a flop

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!