The massive and likely insurmountable gap between NewJeans and the field by the numbers

• Do you agree that NewJeans is the undisputed top girl group of their generation? 53

1. Yes, they're the one top (40) 75%
    2. No, there is another group at their level (13) 25%

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In summary:

I've never seen a girl group take over and separate themselves from the rest of their generation at this speed or scale.

From the moment they took the K-Pop world by storm with their surprise debut and immediate stardom, NewJeans has been making history and speedrunning accomplishments any sane K-Pop fan would expect to take years to accomplish.

At this point, their biggest competition will be the bar they continue to set so impossibly high for themselves, with the expectation they'll continue accomplishing things we've never seen from any girl group before.

That is all. I'll let the numbers do all the talking (and it'll be convenient for me to have this thread to come back to for data ¬‿¬)

• Great music + great visuals + great branding = Ofcourse Newjeans are on top.

But the problem is Ador is relying too much on novelty now. Every single comeback of Newjeans people are expecting some bigger, more unique, more impactful than the one before. How long will Ador be able to maintain this for? Which is why I think while Newjeans will have a massive peak, a more structured and safe group like Le Sserafim will have the longetivity. But Newjeans will regardless always be remembered as one of the greatest groups of all time.

• Ditto MV is a real masterpiece

External Content www.youtube.com

• I literally got back into Kpop after 3 years because of Attention MV

• Well, I just spent four weeks in Asia and in every country I saw giant advertisements for Armani and Gucci featuring Hanni Pham staring down at me.

I think the takeover is complete. :-)

• Sure if you want them to be

My desire has nothing to do with it. The numbers don't lie

I literally got back into Kpop after 3 years because of Attention MV

I honestly lost hope in stanning any new groups from this generation until NJ shook me with their debut

Ironically they got me interested in other groups and now I'd pay money to see LSF too

• Well, I just spent four weeks in Asia and in every country I saw giant advertisements for Armani and Gucci featuring Hanni Pham staring down at me.

I think the takeover is complete. :-)

I need to get over there so I can see the takeover in person :pepe-sad:

But they're coming back to the states next month. I might go see them again

• They have a lot to prove, they mostly live on hype and the fact they they have big companies backing them up for now. Let see if they can sustain the popularity the coming 1-2 years after the first hype is over.

• It's Singlish way of speaking

It means "whatever makes you happy"

Ah. See? Without this thread, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to learn something new. Noted :pepe-notes:

Now that I'm a NJ fan, it of course makes me happy, but even before I reached this full-time stan state, their power floored me.

• They have a lot to prove, they mostly live on hype and the fact they they have big companies backing them up for now. Let see if they can sustain the popularity the coming 1-2 years after the first hype is over.

You know what, patrik-k . You're right. We need to put an asterisk next to any accomplishment NewJeans has to their name so far.

No other girl group has had the benefit of hype and a big company to support their career. Only NewJeans has that advantage. All the other girl groups had to prove it on their own.

Wrote their own lyrics, produced their own songs, funded their own album manufacturing, built their own company buildings--they did it with NO help.

• You know what, patrik-k . You're right. We need to put an asterisk next to any accomplishment NewJeans has to their name so far.

No other girl group has had the benefit of hype and a big company to support their career. Only NewJeans has that advantage. All the other girl groups had to prove it on their own.

Wrote their own lyrics, produced their own songs, funded their own album manufacturing, built their own company buildings--they did it with NO help.

It's the same for all groups from the bigger companies, Twice, BP, Aespa, ITZY etc. They first 1-2 year is a lot of promotion and hype, the question is if the groups can build on the hype and stay at the top. Twice and BP could, Aespa and ITZY feels like they are struggling a bit more. Let's say I'm not impressed by the songs fron NewJeans and not really impressed with they girls singing either, but they have good visuals at least. But hey, maybe they will suprise me with a lot of good songs the coming years.

• Top groups for 4 gen ggs in global.

in SK, they are the same as IVE.

Facts. In only 4 months I AM has already surpassed all of New Jeans releases this year. If not for Ditto that came out ending of Last year IVE would already be #1 on circle chart. Plus, even IVE CF song is still charting and rising on the charts. The same CF songs people were making fun.

IVE also still has stronger individual name recognition as well.

The only thing IVE needs is better international promotion, something that Starship completely loses at. But we will see if they manage to do better this time around.

• It's the same for all groups from the bigger companies, Twice, BP, Aespa, ITZY etc. They first 1-2 year is a lot of promotion and hype, the question is if the groups can build on the hype and stay at the top. Twice and BP could, Aespa and ITZY feels like they are struggling a bit more. Let's say I'm not impressed by the songs fron NewJeans and not really impressed with they girls singing either, but they have good visuals at least. But hey, maybe they will suprise me with a lot of good songs the coming years.

This reeks of arbitrary qualifiers.

Why stop at 1 to 2 years? Why not 1 to 2 years plus 65 days but only if the 65th day is on a Wednesday when Korea hosts the Olympics.

NewJeans could disband yesterday and be remembered as legends.

We have rookie awards in almost every major branch of entertainment because people value what newcomers accomplish in their field and amongst their peers.

We don't need to wait 730+ days to give a group their flowers and be impressed by what they've already accomplished in those 730 days.

• Facts. In only 4 months I AM has already surpassed all of New Jeans releases this year. If not for Ditto that came out ending of Last year IVE would already be #1 on circle chart. Plus, even IVE CF song is still charting and rising on the charts. The same CF songs people were making fun.

The only thing IVE needs is better international promotion, something that Starship completely loses at. But we will see if they manage to do better this time around.

You're brave but watch out, any minute new a Newjeans stan will jump out of the bushes and tell you how you're wrong

• Facts. In only 4 months I AM has already surpassed all of New Jeans releases this year. If not for Ditto that came out ending of Last year IVE would already be #1 on circle chart. Plus, even IVE CF song is still charting and rising on the charts. The same CF songs people were making fun.

More than half of the data listed was from the domestic charts.

It's copium to pretend NewJeans Domination isn't domestic and global.

Plus your hypothetical is hilarious.

If not for NewJeans releasing the biggest song of the year, they wouldn't have the biggest song of the year! We'll just ignore the fact that December releases have always been considered a terrible release window for songs due to the seasonal rise of Christmas songs and focus on awards season.

Other than OMG, which was blocked by Ditto for months, every other NewJeans song came out AFTER I Am. Months later. How can you complain about Ditto coming out months before I Am and then immediately boast about songs that came out months before Get Up dropped? Lmao

And don't try to use individual member popularity as an indicator of overall group popularity. They don't go hand in hand. Or was Miss A the biggest girl group of 2nd generation because Suzy was the biggest individual star?

There is no shame in not being the one top. It's not an insult. I'm a 10 year fan of a group that was never the absolute top and it didn't make me love their songs any less.

• you how you're wrong

Because he is. The only song I am surpassed was OMG. It didn't surpassed any songs of Get Up, because they were released after I Am :dancer-pepe:

His argument about them only needing to getting "a little strong" on international side is quite funny because in reality the gap between both group of international side is what put NJ so much ahead of Ive. You can put all Ive discography together and it would still be behind the daily streams of Super Shy, yes just one song. New Jeans are making five times their streams, they are not in the same level on global scale only in Korea (and barely)

• I guess you are a fanatic, you sure sound like one.

I don't mean that their popularity is not impressive, but being from the same company as BTS and having a lot of resources behind them makes it less impressive. It will be more impressive if they can keep it up for a couple of years.

• Because he is. The only song I am surpassed was OMG. It didn't surpassed any songs of Get Up, because they were released after I Am :dancer-pepe:

His argument about them only needing to getting "a little strong" on international side is quite funny because in reality the gap between both group of international side is what put NJ so much ahead of Ive. You can put all Ive discography together and it would still be behind. New Jeans are making five times their streams, they are not in the same level on global scale only in Korea (and barely)

Damn we see eye to eye on ZB1 but not on IVE/Newjeans clearly :drinktears:

• Im waiting for NJ to change up their sound tbh. I think ive could be close. They have that nostalgic boring music on lock atm what happens if they change their sound.

Could be a Gfriend/Twice situation where they built up this image and when they change it public lose interest.

• giphy.gif

Facts. In only 4 months I AM has already surpassed all of New Jeans releases this year. If not for Ditto that came out ending of Last year IVE would already be #1 on circle chart. Plus, even IVE CF song is still charting and rising on the charts. The same CF songs people were making fun.

I am trying to be objective using numbers here. This is just for the KR chart:

Hype boy > LD but the gap is not that big

Ditto ~ I am(maybe Ditto doing a little better in terms of longevity)

Eleven > Cookie

Attention ~ AL

Kitsch > OMG

If NJ or IVE is 10, then the others are like 9.5

The gap between them is not that big in the KR chart.

I will wait for IVE's new release to make a comparison with NJ's new release

but the gap is really big when we account for global charts like Spotify and Apple Music.

If not for Ditto that came out ending of Last year IVE would already be #1 on circle chart.

I hate hypotheticals because there is no point in talking about them.

• I guess you are a fanatic, you sure sound like one.

I don't mean that their popularity is not impressive, but being from the same company as BTS and having a lot of resources behind them makes it less impressive. It will be more impressive if they can keep it up for a couple of years.

Yeah. You're right. I'm a fanatic. How could I have been so blind to the fact that NewJeans is the only girl group to benefit from the work their predecessors put in with a company.

Big Bang? Wonder Girls? SNSD? Sistar? Twice? 2NE1? Practically a bunch of nobodies.

SM? YG? JYP? Starship?

Basically start up companies.

Im waiting for NJ to change up their sound tbh. I think ive could be close. They have that nostalgic boring music on lock atm what happens if they change their sound.

Could be a Gfriend/Twice situation where they built up this image and when they change it public lose interest.

The Get Up album sounds massively different from their debut NewJeans album.

....aren't you a BlackPink fan?

• While we know the gap between NJ and the other girlies are huge internationally. There’s nothing funnier than seeing tokkies getting pissed because people say they’re basically on the same level in Korea :angryr:

I'm absolutely livid people are posting in my thread. You can see the steam pouring out my ears from space.

• I will wait for IVE's new release to make a comparison with NJ's new release

Next cb will unfold the truth about the level of Ive recognition in Korean being NJ level or not. If they manage to keep their tree title tracks at least in top 15 at the same time while their other songs still decently charting they I will give the point they are at the same level or at least close

Until there I still give NJ a decent margin of popularity ahead of Ive because NJ hits are crowded. NJ already surpassed the total points of Ive on circle chart by more than half billion points and are currently making over two times more points than Ive on weekly basis.

• Domestically too. The gap is wide.

Also there's no point in trying to separate the two at this point in the game.

K-Pop is global. Just a month ago NewJeans had 70,000+ in attendance to their Lollapalooza stage for their first performance ever in the states.

So you exactly proved my point by mentioning an US festival while we all know the audience is mostly Americans I guess TXT is as much as big :nervousk:

• This thread contains 84 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!