KPOP groups falling into the trap of overestimating overseas demand when it comes to touring

• I don't mean to talk about the big names that we're all aware of. The acts in question I'm referring to here are the mid-tier to smaller groups.

It seems like a ton of groups are trying to capitalize on the foreign market right now. Many are going on tour and quite a few of them are facing very mixed results. Just a few examples which I'll take from some upcoming US tours (since it's a frequent destination/point of comparison): Loossemble, TripleS, and iKON all have shows in the upcoming month with pretty concerning numbers so far. Even Dreamcatcher who have more experience in touring are at a 50% sale rate with just a few weeks to go. Add on: Purple Kiss is another one reportedly having their first US tour after their September comeback, I hope good planning/strategy is employed and it goes well for them.

I feel like the international bubble of Kpop has grown so much, but sometimes perception of popularity gets inflated due to misinterpretation of certain markers. Such as social media engagement; RTs and views don't necessarily equate to shelling out money for tickets. Album sales; with the increasingly common practice of bulk buying and photocard collecting, one fan can buy plenty but when it comes to concerts that fan only fills up one seat.

Is the market oversaturated with so many acts to see? Overpricing? Poor research or planning from the promoters? What's going on with some of the mismatched demand recently?

And a further problem: I would think it to be very unfortunate if seeing "underwhelming" numbers turns these groups away from future tours in those countries. Better to start out slow/small, and gradually build a reputation rather than trying for quick cash grabs as it seems like some companies are doing. Like I remember Oh My Girl attempted a US tour back in 2019 (before they blew up with Queendom) and it was poorly executed as well, and I think that closed the door on them venturing beyond SK to international audiences.

• This small groups are being overshadow by big groups so they struggle to build a big fandom so it's stupid to book to big venue

But especially in this time where everybody is touring

Big western artist like taylor swift and beyonce are touring and everybody is fighting to get a ticket

And in the other hand all the other big kpop groups are currently touring in the west too, twice, blackpink, aespa, etc...

People prefer to put their money on arrist they know will give them a show and know it will be a good thing

Than putting their money on a show groups who are getting mixed review with their cb from nugu company who might mismanaged the organisation of the concert

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip

• Combination of 3 things.

1. Overestimation of demand

2. Prices insanely high for concert standard. Like Triple S charging $80 on average for the nose bleeds? Be forreal

3. Multiple larger acts that overlap with their audience are touring simultaneously.

• I was just speaking about TripleS when they 1st released their tour dates.

Why tf are they already touring the US?! They literally just debuted. They have not had a big song in Korea or otherwise, and even with bulk buying accounted for, their numbers are not competitive with the top GGs right now. It's stupid to have them headlining their own tour right now? Especially outside of Korea. I know KPOP acts don't have "openers", but if you're sending TripleS on tour, they are not at the level to headline! They should be opening for Odd Eye Circle.

In Loossemble's case, I think it's a case of the company that signed them wanting a return on investment ASAP. They probably saw LOONA's touring numbers and figured it would be a quick way to get a cash grab from fans. Crazy thing is though, Jaden Jeong had the same idea and Odd Eye Circle are also going on tour, which means now Orbits are divided. Now, they've got to decide which group to see if they can't afford both. Unfortunately for Loossemble, even though they have more members, Odd Eye Circle announced their tour 1st, are a very popular sub-unit people have been waiting for, and ACTUALLY released MUSIC before announcing a tour...like come on? How are you going to go on tour and you don't even have music out!? And I doubt Blockberry will let them perform any of LOONA's songs!?

Ngl, I'm surprised about iKON and Dreamcatcher. Though apparently Dreamcatcher has toured the US THREE times this year. HUH!?!

Like 3+ years ago, it used to be easy for a decently known KPOP group to come to the US and do decent numbers at smaller venues. Pre-COVID, only certain groups could afford to tour in the US, so KPOP fans would go see them even if they weren't fans of the group since not a lot of groups were touring the US, and people just wanted the experience of going to a KPOP concert. Limited supply for a lot of demand. Now, these days, everyone and their MOM is trying to tour here, and there's too much supply with limited demand. People can now afford to wait to see their favorite group since they are more than likely going to tour here.

Plus, as people mentioned, now that COVID is over, all the really big non-KPOP artists are touring too. Everyone's on tour right now, Ticketmaster has hiked up prices to the point going to multiple concerts is just unaffordable, and KPOP fans have to prioritize who they are going to splurge and see. Seems like some companies are operating on old data. The bubble is going to burst at some point.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Those smaller groups probably have no choice. Streaming pays dust, they dont have album sales, so where do you expect them to earn any money?

But if they are lacking album sales, who is going to buy the tickets to see them on tour?

If you don't even have a fanbase to buy your album, why would they come see you on tour?

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!