Sullyoon is the type everyone says is pretty but then moves on

• Compared to Tzuyu in her heyday, Sullyoon isn’t amassing the same level of international and Korean fanbase. Almost after debut Tzuyu’s face was everywhere. And in the 4th gen, compared to Karina and Wonyoung, Sullyoon also lags behind in following.

People see nice pics of Sullyoon and praise her. But then don’t really become her stan.

Why is Sullyoon failing to capture that many fans despite being a visual of a Big company group? Are NMIXX songs to blame? Is her visual the type that doesn’t captivate long term? Chinese female visual celebrities are kind of like unless they have something else going for them.

• Tzuyu level impact is the type of thing that happens to one or two idols a generation.

It's unrealistic that every very pretty idol will reach those heights.

I don't think it says anything about her beauty or memorability.

She's a very charming and pretty idol.

But it just wasn't in the cards for her this gen..

That attention went to Wonyoung.

What they should pay attention to is her singing visual combo.

Sullyoon is rather rare in that is a Top "visual" level idol who can legitimately sing amazingly well.

• If she had more fans they would brag about her vocals a lot more. But she doesn’t so it’s just mentioned in passing. If Karina has Sullyoon’s level vocal that would be repeated often

• Didn’t people move on from tzuyu as well

60619b148b25d76d88138e9fb9a750ba.gif

People are fickle

Tzuyu had several years in the stratosphere and is considered a defining idol of her generation.

That most people eventually moved on is to be expected. Nothing lasts forever.

But I don't think the situations are really the same and that's not really what Teshubs was getting at.

He's using Tzuyu as a comparison to what Sullyoon has thus far not been able to achieve... That spark of mass mania and popularity. The apex of idol fame.

Wonyoung and others have taken that slot for the new generation of idols.

• No I don’t think so. She is one of the few idols I’d say quite quickly lost their top visual card. It’s just an observation for afar btw. I find all of twice very pretty. But in terms of hype I feel she only had it for the few years of twice.

Like what I mean is Yoona or Nana for example get hype no matter how many years it’s been. Perhaps not having solo opportunity limited her.

• No I don’t think so. She is one of the few idols I’d say quite quickly lost their top visual card. It’s just an observation for afar btw. I find all of twice very pretty. But in terms of hype I feel she only had it for the few years of twice.

Like what I mean is Yoona or Nana for example get hype no matter how many years it’s been. Perhaps not having solo opportunity limited her.

She didn't lose her visual card quickly. Since Sixteen (2015) she was popular for her visual, she was #1 at the end of the show. Then during Cheer Up she was still big, that was after the flag scandal. Her popularity began to peak around 2018. In the IZONE era, Wonyoung started to rise and overtake her but it wasn't sudden.

As Teshubs has already pointed. I think your assessment of Tzuyus popularity is off base.

• Isn't Sana more popular than Tzuyu now.

Initially jyp pushed Tzuyu a lot, but after the flag incident, he stopped I assume so Chinese fans wouldn't be offended and write off the group.

imo Sullyoon is too young and too quiet. In a couple of years maybe.

• Sullyoon is not doing as well as Karina, Wonyoung... Because various factors came into play:

1-nmixx are not doing as good as the other groups in their generation, they are obviously doing well and even growing after each comeback but they are not apart of the top ones.

2-sullyoon was not JYP's priority and they did not push her since the beginning.

3-the vibe, she gives is that of an awkward teenage girl who is calm and collected, which I believe is her branding, I don't think it works with her though, as said above, she is not only gorgeous, she is a good singer too, which somehow contradicts that specific type of branding, if she acted like minjoo of lovelyz, maybe she'd have a chance to compete with the other visuals.

I think there's plenty of room for growth, she can do better in the future.

• NMIXX has failed to hit big so far is problem #1.

Problem #2 COULD be fanservice/personality/oncamera charisma. I was never a big fan of Tzuyu despite her objectively top tier visuals because she just wasnt interesting to watch, as a performer or in Vlives or in variety. The same might be true of Sullyoon (tbf i've only watched a few random shows on YT). Probably true NMIXX fans can answer the personality question - does she jump off the screen like Sana or Nayeon? Or is she more like Tzuyu?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!