AESPA’s Illusion is a top tier SM track (full review)

• First the lyrics:

I dont looooooooooove “youre so yummy in my tummy” but honestly its shocking and catches you immediately and i like the lick noise through out the song that is introduced here so…. Yeah! What i like about the lyrics is the double entendre aspect of this very sexy and playful lyric. It continuously repeats these extremely suggestive lines about swallowing it down, it growing big and the girls themselves being adults now 👀 anyways. The lyrics, though, if you pay attention are actually talking about this being a foolish way of achieving what you want. “Come and get illusion” says that pretty plainly if you dont spritz it up with the pop production. Theres an overall demon/gremlin/“will o wisp” theme throughout the song that plays on this. In a pretty kpop-cliche-way in the first verse we can hear the lyrics kind of painting the picture of somebody becoming possessed. To the english only ear the first verse is really clever because it can almost be played off as like a self-love lyrics “look at me ——- look at you ———- look at them ——- dont panic baby” it sounds like in comparison to you and everyone else, im obviously the best but dont worry its okay. On the contrary, the lyrics are really saying that youre entranced by this person and everyone else is fading away and then it rounds out with ningning saying shes already stolen your heart anyway, but not like… romantically. Think more youre a simp for a vampire (and its because you have a one night stand btw: “one night party”). Moving forward to the chorus the double entendre becomes more prevalent with the lyrics saying youre going to take the bait, its irresistible but to the girls just a hook up, but then the extra layer about this being a bad way to get what you want is set up next with the girls actually saying that youre going to grow up feeding on the wrong attention / feed your ego with positive reinforcement through sexual attention, so…. Yeah. (“Feeding on attention and growing up”)

And i ooooopp

But wait THERES MORE!!! They round out the chorus with an outro that reinforces the mystical kind of sci-fi theme by telling, NOT ASKING, you to come here without fear. You also hear “will o wisp” in the background at the same time, these are ghosts that appear as little fires and they signify an undying hope for an impossible goal that will keep the soul searching (like a positive self image sought through sexual attention, yall). keep this word “will o wisp” in mind for the next verse!!!!

In this next verse something even more unfair to the english speaker happens. They use a word with multiple translations, and the official translation still holds the theme true, but doesnt really sell the full message. It says that this easy for them, just a dinner, and that the “dokkaebi” officially translated to “will o wisp” will scare you, but that korean word is also a word for what are essentially gremlins that sometimes help and sometimes hinder human beings they come across, but they are not actually made of living things, something inanimate that comes to life (being distracted by the superficial, like the internet, brands, money, sex/beauty etc.) the layers!!!! This is enough for the lyrics because ive been typing and switching tabs for like 15 minutes and im only a minute and a half into the song.

And the actual dance performance, with knowledge of the lyrics???

It literallllllllly opens with giselle being depicted as symbol of power at the apex of a pyramid and its at the same time as the english lyrics are saying look at me, look at you like???? But right before this Winter is a gremlin on the floor thats blood hungry…. Obsessed. Speaking of which the dance even shows Giselle looking less confident with arms crossed at “look at you”, but switches to a confident, relaxed more gremlin like pose when she says “look at me” like the choreographer did that????

The chorus has this like mean girls walk that is iconically at the part where they say “follow me, come and get illusion” because the plastics are an illusion they have fake rules and fake confidence im ObSeSsEd with this concept. Then they entrance you with the hypnotic hand thats a little flame burning (and hips gyrating ;)) the pre chorus also has a cool part where they give themselves horns when they talk about their instincts taking over and i think thats fun in a story telling aspect as well.

This has been my review (without going on for too too long)

Lyrics: 10/10 no holes, very clever, very catchy.

Dance: 9/10 the second verse i wish they did something with Dokkaebi but whatever, still almost perfect in my eyes and definitely very fun to watch (also i like the different slow walk styles that they have for the follow me part of the chorus)

honestly i’m an illusion supremicist.

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• Ohhh I have made a thread about its lore lyrics but you went into details.

And then Giselle talked about the lyrics relating to Will o’ the wisp/the Goblin fire herself.

Interesting read especially the dance part.

lt64IYu.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!