Somi XOXO Review

• i admit i messed up.

I was in denial. i liked ioi a bit too much, and i thought she would've been good in another group like ioi.

had somi been in itzy i probably still wouldn't have stanned itzy (i dont like the music)

and i even said at some point that she didn't suit being a soloist.

post birthday era, somi has gained confidence slowly and steadily, and now she's really doing great. XOXO (the album) is really the embodiment of what i look for in kpop, and the fact that she wrote for or produced for 7 out of 8 of her songs really shows that she loves what she's putting out. she truly is delivering bop after bop.

honestly somi's current style (a young and bouncy blackpink style, very colorful and vibrant and almost messy and childish) is just so pretty. esp as a blackpink stan, her songs are produced by the same bunch of producers, but still retain somi's distinct style. i love it so much.

i think yg is the only company that balances kpopness to popness. every song is just pop enough to appeal to an international audience, and and just kpop enough to fit korean tastes. i think this comes from how many foreign-koreans are part of everything (teddy, somi, jennie, rose) and how most of the production speak english. on top of that the hiphop influences also suits somi, even though her songs dont get too much of that.

anyways here is my review of each song of xoxo:

1. dumb dumb (old song, gave it 7/10 then, grew on me so 7.5)
    2. XOXO:
      the first time i like the title track the most in an album. the boppest boppest bop i've heard all year. It's a classic pop song that has nostalgic parts but doesnt feel dated. The lyrics are nice, the vibes are emaculate. I skated like 3 hours today with the song on loop. Pop perfection. Only thing is that the previous mvs have been more aesthetic. a cinematic mv wasn't bad either. looks like another tiktok hit from the little clips of the choreo.
      -> 10/10, will stream till the next somi comeback, love it, favorite somi song ever
    3. Don't let me go feat giriboy:
      Sounds like a bside in square up or kill this love. IF YOU LIKE REALLY BY BP, YOU'LL LOVE IT. has the giriboy rap, very nice. very chill. however, becaus ethe other songs are so good, it's my least favorite new song on xoxo. very nice, still.
      -> 8.5/10, will stream on my playlist with really and kick it. very bop.
    4. Anymore:
      My second favorite song on the album after xoxo (tied with outta my head). a full english song but somi is fluent so it's not hard to listen to. Makes the album so coherent. it's like the perfect accompaniment to xoxo. i love it so much. it's my second favorite song this year (after xoxo) and im a fecking bp stan.
      -> 10/10 perfection, perfection, perfection. would've made a good title track if xoxo didn't exist but thank god xoxo does.
    5. Watermelon:
      XYLOPHONE SOUNDS. I LOVE IT. I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS SO MUCH. AND IT WAS SO GOOD. I LOVE IT. CHILL AND VIBES LIKE THE REST OF THE ALBUM. A BOP. WILL STREAM. I LOVE THE CHORUS SO MUCH. SOMI IS A GENIUS. TO THINK SHE WROTE AND PRODUCED THIS BOP? but then again, the whole album was written and produced by her.
      -> 9.5/10 VIBESSSSSSSSSSSS. IF YOU'RE A TXT FAN YOU'LL LOVE THIS ONE. IT HAS GHOSTING VIBES (without the drums + blur so it does sound a little less fairy like, but the vibes are still there.)
    6. Birthday. (old song, my least favorite somi track. gave it 6 when it was first released, grew on me to a 7/10)
    7. wywf (old song, gave it 6.5 during release but it's a real grower, at 7.5/10 rn)
    8. outta my head (old song, my favorite pre xoxo somi song. perfection, those whistle sounds omg i melt. very somi. my second favorite somi song now (after xoxo) 10/10)

total: 70/80 or 87.5%
    basically a god tier album.

probably my favorite album that isn't from blackpink or aimer or shaun. MADE series tier bop. on the same level as the while you were sleeping ost and bts world minus the instrumentals and that shitty juice wrld track.

r o s e s   a n d   p e a c h e s

• I agree. This is a solid and no skip album

Somi was just a child when she became the national center and now she's a full blown artist

i think the black label really is the place for her

i dont think anywhere else she'd be allowed to produce such bops, and im looking forward to where she goes from here.

yes, one song a year was frustrating, esp when those were all 6-7/10 range songs except outta my head. but this album is just so good. it ties together all her previous tracks and her current style, and the lowest ew song is an 8.5 and could be a bp bside imo (highest praise from a blink)

im so proud of her i swear. i thought ioi ws her stylistic peak, but somi really knew what she was going for with the black label, and she's finally grown into what i think is her full potential

• Anymore seems to be quite liked by many. The new song that left the biggest impression on me. Overall good album. One song I stll can't really get behind is birthday but everything else is great. Outta my head is still that song, it'll never get old.

YIREN

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv fab59363da33ef51baa656716577e60cdb9b2fd2.gifv 084b4b1830b2175bbfe169388158c289cc0b861f.gifv 9a71235e38fac2f4f9e1daf62b01efee6e4923bf.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• Anymore seems to be quite liked by many. The new song that left the biggest impression on me. Overall good album. One song I stll can't really get behind is birthday but everything else is great. Outta my head is still that song, it'll never get old.

it's a solid 7 for me now.

for me anything from 5-7 is a "if it plays i wont skip it, but if it doesnt i wont care"

anything below that is a skip or a hide on spotify

• outta my head and watermelon are so good. Somi and 24 make a great team. Somi clearly needs an even larger role in production going forward. I would like to see Somi, 24 and Teddy try to make a song that could be a title track together.

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

• outta my head and watermelon are so good. Somi and 24 make a great team. Somi clearly needs an even larger role in production going forward. I would like to see Somi, 24 and Teddy try to make a song that could be a title track together.

xoxo is just that

pasted-from-clipboard.png

teddy + somi + 24

too bad somi was only on the lyrics tho

she was on every track so far, with something or the other, except anymore.

• I was an IOI fan and Somi was one of my bias. Her first album is pretty good overall. Dumb Dumb grew in me and I love it a lot now. XOXO is her best single for me.

For the new b-sides, I prefer Anymore and Don't Let Me Go.

Birthday and What You Waiting For are a bit disappointing. I don't think that Birthday represents well Somi. I listen to them from time to time but they are not memorable. Outta my head on the other side is good and she participated in the song production/writing. She is really multitalented.

dbed960a80097dc7d9eac973b7be5f732ec99c98.gifv  1f251c53cf32e8a39ff30f639687b517129b0205.gifv  8ce6cd0f2729463446ccbc09563cc6ad65a72d09.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!