How will y'all feel about a "best Asian album/song " categories at the Grammys?

• For sure bp isn't there, they just getting started

Regarding bts I do think 7 was? Is? Going to be nominated at billboard awards or Amas & stuff based on its sales alone

The critically acclaimed awards like Grammys will rightfully prefer their home grown acts to foreign ones no matter how popular that foreign act is in that country

Bts should definitely be awarded in sales based awards since they do go toe to toe with those chart heavyweights on the billboard

• Agreed & I don't see anything wrong with that

Since Grammys are allegedly about critical acclaim, they should award the category based on that aswell

• yeah agreed, which makes it even more unfair to have a separate category like that bc it's just saying we don't care, if you're not american, then you're not winning big

not only sales but bts has impact, charting, streams, quality, literally everything that would justify a win so to make a whole "asian" category is also stupid bc who else would even win that?? probably wouldn't be as special

also u ignored my akorn request ): ): ):

• Agreed & I don't see anything wrong with that

Since Grammys are allegedly about critical acclaim, they should award the category based on that aswell

Might as well make a pop band category for bands that just sing or sing and dance

There are many of them out there

• I'm pretty sure kpop does qualify in global/world music categories since iirc those are usually catchall categories. It's the fact that the Grammys don't take boy bands/girl groups that seriously. Even if they added categories centered around Asia, it'd probably still leave kpop/jpop/cpop out for the most part.

It doesn't fit neatly into the World Music cat. The genre's music sensiblities spill outside of it.

I like how "Best Global Pop Album/Song" sounds.

• Wouldn’t mind an entire Asian ceremony like the Latin Grammys. They should make the base of the Trophy blue , and even if they did make a Asian language category don’t expect to see kpop in there tbh.

Edited once, last by wendii ().

• The majority of the people on the Grammy Committee speaks English so that’s why it’s important to have English music to get recognized.. due to just the sheer amount of music that’s released per year and the amount of submissions it’s easy for a non English act to get lost in the sauce.

Plus with understanding the language the songwriter and complexity of the lyrics are more easily recognized as a GOOOD translation may be difficult to get as basic subtitles or trans on genius just doesn’t cut it.. especially for acts like BTS/Rosaliá (which is probably why she was snubbed for AOTY at the regular Grammys but swept the Latin Grammys) even though she won best Latin Album at the regular Grammys and was able to snag a BNA nom as well.

Also the homegrown act is slightly irrelevant, if the music is good/hit and English is good because a good majority of the artist who win/sweep the Grammys are British/Canadian and not American.

• Asia is so diverse. How can you put Indian music and Korean music and Indonesian music in one category, when they're so different from each other. Seems equally pointless. Maybe if they said Asia Pacific, that'd make more sense?

• Latin America is united by one language

Asia isn’t

And it’s offensive you pile the billions and billions of Asians into one small category so your oppas can fit

• to grammys, boy groups and girl groups are not taken seriously. It has always been like that

This is more important than people realize. Nsync, Backstreet Boys, and One Direction never won grammys even when they were the best-charting, biggest-selling, most famous groups in the world at the time.

• Wouldn’t mind an entire Asian ceremony like the Latin Grammys. They should make the base of the Trophy blue , and even if they did make a Asian language category don’t expect to see kpop in there tbh.

I'm not sure they'd need an entire ceremony or their own Academy like the Latin Grammys; the Latin Grammys have 53 categories, most of which parallel the main Grammy categories.

• I suppose it depends on what you’re trying to achieve. Those types of categories tend to get shoved off to the side in very small boxes. Although hip hop dominates in modern American pop music, it is continually pushed into its hip hop box and even amazing records like To Pimp A Butterfly and Alright couldn’t crack the big awards despite massive critical acclaim. The majority of the hip hop, Latin and R&B awards occur off camera, unless it’s Beyoncé, despite the fact the genres dominate pop music - even the music by white pop and rock artists reflect elements of these genres.

Additionally artists get restricted by the categories - if you make r&b or hip hop outside a specific lane, they don’t know where to categorize you and won’t nominate you (this is a discussion around The Weeknd’s lack of nomination, as the most recent example of this) and they keep trying to make all kinds of different categories to cover it. (WTF is melodic rap as a category?)

So (if you made it this far), is that good enough for Kpop? To be considered but not be a legitimate contender for the big awards and to win the awards off camera except when they want a performance to juice the ratings?

EDITED TO ADD: also is this a pan-Asian category or just Kpop? Because that’s a lot of different languages and styles, how do you even define the category?

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!