How will y'all feel about a "best Asian album/song " categories at the Grammys?

• I mean Latin has one or 2 & Bad Bunny won his first Grammy last night in that category

I don't think there's anything inherently sinister with such a category....as long as it's not called Most popular or something (Oscars tried creating a most popular category just to avoid awarding/nominating Avengers movies in best picture lol)

I expect at least Bts & bp will get noms based on their US visibility alone & some other lesser known Asian acts

Also why doesn't kpop albums qualify for "Best Global" thingy?

• Official Post

I'm pretty sure kpop does qualify in global/world music categories since iirc those are usually catchall categories. It's the fact that the Grammys don't take boy bands/girl groups that seriously. Even if they added categories centered around Asia, it'd probably still leave kpop/jpop/cpop out for the most part.

• I'm pretty sure kpop does qualify in global/world music categories since iirc those are usually catchall categories. It's the fact that the Grammys don't take boy bands/girl groups that seriously. Even if they added categories centered around Asia, it'd probably still leave kpop/jpop/cpop out for the most part.

The way I can actually see them doing exactly that just to spite lol

But really yeah BG & GG are just automatically discredited in almost every metric compared to solo acts, it's weird

• Official Post

What about Asian Grammys(similar to the Latin Grammys)?

Would BP and BTS sweep along with other Asian acts? :whatr:

Anyway it's really similar to how POC artists are restricted to "Best Urban Album" or whatnot, it just doesn't make sense.

I don't think they could win anything, purely because Grammys don't take any GGs or BGs seriously. I don't remember the last time a group won a Grammy tbh, if any KPOP act would win a Grammy, it'd be a soloist.

• No. And Latin artists have sounded off about this as well. Why can’t foreign acts who sing in other languages compete for the main awards at the Grammys. Why must they be stuck in their own categories . It just saying that certain artists can compete for this award and others can only compete in this category for this award. Why can’t everyone compete no matter the language

• No. And Latin artists have sounded off about this as well. Why can’t foreign acts who sing in other languages compete for the main awards at the Grammys. Why must they be stuck in their own categories . It just saying that certain artists can compete for this award and others can only compete in this category for this award. Why can’t everyone compete no matter the language

It's like saying 'you are not good enough to qualify for the real awards, so here is another one we made up for you to win it now go along and be contented'

• It's like saying 'you are not good enough to qualify for the real awards, so here is another one we made up for you to win it now go along and be contented'

Exactly. Be happy you have your little ceremony the Latin Grammys but you can’t compete with Taylor or Adele or Post Malone. Just compete with your own kind with your own language

• Both groups are painted in a very positive light

Nobody can find offense with this piece lol

BP isn't nearly there yet, but for BTS: Why can't they compete in the main categories? I get the whole Asian category, but I don't think it's fair to restrict them to that if they are just as big as other contenders for the main categories. Just because they happen to be Korean doesn't mean they can't win the bigger categories, especially because they deserve.

Creating a separate category is just a slap on the wrist and equivalent to 'here's a category we made up just for you so kpop fans can be pleased and shut up about it'...

P.S Hardy can you gimme 450 akorns pretty please

:pepecute::pepecute::pepecute:

• I don't think there's a demand for an Asian award show? I could be wrong

Trueee

Honestly the BG/GG label comes with massive restrictions at the Grammys

Cause the voters are probably english idk but I don't find it completely wrong

I don't see Taylor swift winning daesangs over in Korea

Bts got a hit song that made waves + their albums sell well so they should be awarded for that

But when it comes to stuff like the Grammys I don't find it inherently sinister to gatekeeper the main awards to their homegrown acts that sing specifically in English

• I thought that was MAMA though...

Please ignore my first sentence. That would be super nice though <3

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• At this point I would be okay with it

It's pretty much known to be a western-centric "local" award show

I don't know how they would go about comparing albums in different languages especially for albums with rap in it

They would be extremely unlikely to win against English language music

If an Asian category ever happens they would need to consider more than just Korean artists, or East Asian artists, even if they just end up giving it to a kpop group because of their popularity

It would be tricky and controversial

There's no point having that category to only include kpop groups that have US visibility

• Exactly. Be happy you have your little ceremony the Latin Grammys but you can’t compete with Taylor or Adele or Post Malone. Just compete with your own kind with your own language

& what's so sinister about that?

Pretty sure for example post Malone won't be winning album of the year at South African or Nigerian equivalent to Grammys no matter how much listeners he might have over there...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!