I finally managed to watch and listen to Newjeans' MV's

• and I like it, a lot!

Their MV concepts have a retro, nostalgic feel to them, while their music style has some chill, laid back R&B influences.

I think they also have some clever choreo where the focus isn't on razor sharp synchronicity but instead parts of it accentuated the beat and chorus, strengthening them.

I can't put my finger on what triggered it, but the MV's and songs I listened to so far had a melancholic feel for me, a sort of a reminder of older K-pop while still being its own.

And I haven't even seen all their MV's yet, only the most recent ones: I did a search on Newjeans and MV, and they already have like 5 or more MV's?! In only 6 months?? Damn, that's more than some big groups and rookies have in 2-3 years! :whatk:

I hadn't paid much attention to Newjeans so far - just too many new groups, too little time - but maybe it's time to catch up with Newjeans and Le Sserafim. Well done, Hybe! Well done, kudos :sure-bee:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• yayy! you finally watched them! My personal favorite is probably OMG, Ditto, Attention, or Cookie.

Who's your bias currently? Mine is Hyein. :hype-cutie:

• you gotta watch hype boy if you haven't already

Not yet! So far I've watched OMG and Ditto.

go watch all six and then tell us which is your favourite

There are six?! Seems I missed one, I'll check again.

yayy! you finally watched them! My personal favorite is probably OMG, Ditto, Attention, or Cookie.

Who's your bias currently? Mine is Hyein. :hype-cutie:

So far I've only watched OMG and Ditto, I liked them both! But Ditto a bit more.

I don't know names yet, I barely even know half of the Le Sserafim members, and that's only because they were in PD48 and IZ*One :oops:

Ok, I'll go watch and listen to their other songs and then post my first impressions here :-)

After that, I'll check out Le Sserafim.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Lol.. it took me abt a month to learn their names. Took me 3 months to learn le sserafim lol. OMG is really good and so is Ditto.

• yes there are six

Attention

Hype Boy

Cookie

Hurt

OMG

Ditto

• Yes! Let's post my thoughts about the songs and MV's while they're still fresh in my mind, I've seen them all six now.

* Hype Boy: so many MV's, which one was the official?! Something I start to notice after 3 NJ songs and MV's, even more after watching the others too. NW songs have this funky R&B vibe to them that makes them really catchy (at least to me)

* Cookie: simplistic MV, but oh so stylish. Once again the choreo catches my eye. The song and vibe of this MV reminds me somehow of Red Velvet the most, maybe due to the quirky MV with the big cookie and CD and the cakes/dessert theme, themes that have similarities with some RV themes.

* Attention: oh, great intro with the band and concert, don't see this often in K-pop, great attention grabber, followed by such a smooth, chill song with great sounding chorus build up and background chants. This song is great right from the start up to the end!

* Hurt: this is the one I watched and listened to the last. It sounds different from the rest, a thought that pops up in my head while listening, 'if a sigh could sound like a song, this is how it would sound'. Such a pleasing song.

Choregraphy: I don't know if it was the same person that gave NJ their choreo for most of the songs or different people, but they deserve a raise. How to describe it: there's choreo and dancing to wow and that's admirable to be watch, then there's choreo and dancing that gets you hyped where you'd like to cheer on the dancers from the sideline, and there's choreo and dances where you can't help but (want to) join the dancers on the dance floor and join in the dancing even if you don't know the moves well. The last applies to NJ, the choreo and their dancing is great to watch and invites you to join in. This is due to clever choreo accents and moves, but the NJ girls' facial expressiveness and energetic, lively and smooth execution of the dance moves gives it that extra boost.

There's some great rhythm and flow to Newjeans' songs and choreo/dancing, and some interesting instrumentals and sounds jump out and enhance the songs, making them linger even more in your mind after they've ended. Also, why there's no voice that jumps out yet (except 1?), they all really have nice, pleasing vocals (I need to find lives to see if they can maintain it performing live too)

So far I liked the songs Ditto and Attention the most, added to that I liked their styling and outfits in Cookie the best. But the six songs together are a great, solid introduction to Newjeans for new people and I wish more companies did that, have move MV's for a group's songs instead of just the 1 MV for the title track, especially the larger companies (the smaller ones I guess are incapable due to smaller financial budgets).

:lover3:

SWJ1P.gif

Edited 2 times, last by FoReveries ().

• โ€œis a song could sound like a sighโ€ thank you for putting into words how I feel about Hurt so succinctly, thatโ€™s really nice

We donโ€™t talk about NJ choreo enough imo: it looks like choreo you could join in on cause the members look so joyful and groovy doing it. Then you actually go to try it and without the 90s hip hop fundamentals and it ends up looking stiff. Then thereโ€™s the looseness and the sense that each member is adding their own personality to certain parts. And the point dances! So cleverly simple for viral attention

OMG has the head thing

Ditto has that windmill

Attention has that big scoop and RISE

and everything about Hype Boy

Yeah their choreo sticks out, itโ€™s purist hip hop, I love it

• Lol.. it took me abt a month to learn their names. Took me 3 months to learn le sserafim lol. OMG is really good and so is Ditto.

There are six songs but some songs have more than one MV. Hype boy has each memberโ€™s version plus group one.. Ditto has two (I think). Thereโ€™s a lot for a newly hatched group.

I actually canโ€™t tell them apart yet except for Daniela and Minji.

Heh, I've thought about that, I have a theory about that.

From what I saw over the years, there's like 2 approaches to introducing new groups:

There's what I'd call the 2nd gen/SM style of approach, named such due to the era where this was used a lot and to SM being a big advocate or heavy user of that style (like with SNSD and Red Velvet): this is where the focus is on the group as a whole, the collective (above individual distinctiveness). Same(ish) hairstyles and hair colors for all the group members, same outfits => those are things where you can recognize this approach by.

And then there's what I'd call the mid 3rd gen to current gen, YG style of approach, something that YG have always practised the most and heaviest of all companies since ages ago, but that has become more dominant in the more recent gens.

In this approach the emphasis is on maximum recognisability and distinctiveness of each individual member, where this is achieved by different hair styles, different hair colors and very different outfits for each of the members in the group. This to provide a different vibe and 'color' to each member, often strengthened by also highlighting and enhancing the different unique personality traits of each group member, all this to make them more recognisable right from the start.

This 2nd focus has been more the norm the past years, used by a lot of K-pop companies, which makes sense considering that companies have their gaze towards global as in western/US markets and audience, where individualism is the highest regarded value and maybe because of that, pop groups are nearly nonexistent and unfamiliar territory.

Which makes it even more interesting to see that Ador with Newjeans leans towards the other end of the spectrum so far, on introducing Newjeans as a group, with the focus on them together as a group (sameish hairstyles, colors etc).

Maybe that's also why, aside from the vibe and the sets like in the Ditto MV, NJ have this oldschool feeling to them (at least to me).

SWJ1P.gif

Edited once, last by FoReveries ().

• There are six songs but some songs have more than one MV. Hype boy has each memberโ€™s version plus group one.. Ditto has two (I think). Thereโ€™s a lot for a newly hatched group.

I think this is the right approach btw, due to more, and also more diverse, content being available about a new group and their musical style, this is a far better introduction of a new group to people.

I get that not every K-pop company can afford it financially, but if they can, they should really introduce their groups like that.

And yes, I noticed! There are even individual member MV's and extra performance MV's. I guess there's more to watch.

SWJ1P.gif

• I think this is the right approach btw, due to more, and also more diverse, content being available about a new group and their musical style, this is a far better introduction of a new group to people.

I get that not every K-pop company can afford it financially, but if they can, they should really introduce their groups like that.

And yes, I noticed! There are even individual member MV's and extra performance MV's. I guess there's more to watch.

the individual hype boy MVs are plot focused and were such a delight to explore

I would Start here

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It's even more fun/makes sense if you go chronologically, honestly sad for anyone who didn't experience the debut rollout because it was an EXPERIENCE, never had a roll out like it and it was so fun. No-one knew anything, we had no choice but to enjoy the music and the ride. No long build up they just dropped attention out of nowhere. Never seen such a scramble for official accounts to be made and get organised, the name was long rumored since they trademarked it but no-one really had accounts made for them.

People knew nothing about them, even their names or ages, just that song then later the debut timetable. The next day they dropped Hybe Boy and all its MV's. For the first day or so you couldn't watch any of the 4 MV's without going into the MV intro, the videos are linked at the end and that was the first time we found out their names! Each has a storyline focused on each member almost like a solo.

2 days later they dropped Hurt and opened the album preorder and preview. Day after that the we are newjeans vid to get to know them, then the 5 days of newjeans day where they dropped photo's and videos of each member on the phoning app. The day after newjeans day ended they dropped the digital release and Cookie MV. Yes, all that time we had no digital release so if you wanted to listen your only option was the MV! The physical album was released a full week later, AFTER 3 music shows, they really gave people the full content and said if you enjoy it, buy the physical version and if you do, you get everything. They also don't do random photocards and they really put alot of work into the album design and even the lyric cards. From what I remember the bag versions sold out fast during pre-orders so it was nigh impossible to get, but everyone wanted one, you may notice it in the attention MV.

Rather than making MV's for multiple b-sides, they actually have a triple TT, all but Hurt on the first EP are considered TT's so they promoted the entire EP on music shows, each has a stage. Also about the budget, MHJ mentioned in an interview that theirs is similar to the industry, its just she managed hers better to get the most out of it by being more inventive, so I guess others can do the same if they are smart about it.

Interesting you pointed out the vocals sound similar, they actually don't get guide vocals because of the concern that they might imitate it.

Edited once, last by onwards ().

• Choregraphy: I don't know if it was the same person that gave NJ their choreo for most of the songs or different people, but they deserve a raise.

They've had the same two choreographers for all their work (also their main trainer), Kim Eunju and BlackQ (from EO-DDAE crew), and another one person (I forgot the name) they worked with for Cookie only. As a concept and group, NewJeans is in sync but different individual colors in terms of their choreography. They're connected as far as the song/dance/beat goes but then each member exerts they're own style into their movements almost as if they're freestyling in between the choreo.

Edited 2 times, last by nccm1 ().

Participate now!

Donโ€™t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!