A Visual Comparison of Third Generation Girl Group Touring Attendance

• Please take a look at this post for the addition of Iz*One/Loona/(G)I-dle, whom some regard as 3.5th Generation.

Itzy just started touring, and probably has around 50K attendance so far, though their Checkmate tour is continuing into 2023 with eight more shows. StayC hasn't done any concerts as far as I know, but Aespa did have a few "Synk" showcases.

Aespa will probably have a higher attendance than most of the groups on this through fanmeets/showcases alone I'd imagine

• it is true BP had edge over TWICE now
    but back at TWICE peak 2016-2018
    I believe they can exceed BP by a wide margin
    if they make a tour /concert collection of their song from
    2015-2018

• WJSN has tours?

I just know of a few concerts in Japan (and Korea).

• This is interesting. I feel like Twice’s Japan dates really gives them big jumps in the graph

For sure; each of those dome shows essentially adds on around 40K-50K of attendance. Now that I think about it, Twice could probably catch up playing nothing but domes in Japan. I recall people on this forum stating that they had something like a million ticket requests for one of their Japanese concert tours.

• I suppose this doesn't include the virtual concerts numbers or does it?

It does not, as I don't think online concerts are quite equivalent to the real thing. In addition, there's no way to really estimate online concert attendance, since you don't have the constraints of venue capacity to work with.

• Dreamcatcher are probably the least successful group on that list domestically in South Korea, so they were always forced to look outwards with their concept. I'm also going to guess here and say they have a pretty low standard deviation? So when it come to picking countries the opportunity cost of performing in one place over another is probably not as large as say Twice.

I'm glad you brought that up. As shown in the table below, I've calculated both the standard deviation and relative standard deviation (= σ ÷ μ, which I generally prefer using) for all the groups. Dreamcatcher's RSD is middle of the pack, and isn't as low as one would expect, likely because they played some extremely small shows (a couple hundred people) early in their career. On the other hand, Twice's RSD is easily the highest among everyone here, as you correctly intuited.

3G+2018_GG_Concert_Attendance_Summary_SD.png

JYPE notoriously plays it safe with them - they'll send all their boy groups to Europe after a year or so but always refused to send Twice as they'd rather keep them in Japan where they are guaranteed to sell out large arenas and Domes. I think one of the main reasons Twice renewed is because they want to do one big and genuine world tour before completely slowing down so will be shocked if places like Europe, Australia and South America aren't included in their next tour.

Yes, I've often seen people on this forum complain about JYPE playing it safe with Twice, but hopefully that'll change given their recent contract renewal. I just ran the numbers, and according to my estimates, a whopping 659,948 of their 971,638 total comes from Japan--that's 68%!

Aespa will probably have a higher attendance than most of the groups on this through fanmeets/showcases alone I'd imagine

I'm not including fanmeets currently, though I am taking into account showcases if they're "concert-esque", i.e. not like a press showcase that groups often put on at the start of a comeback period.

• WJSN has tours?

I just know of a few concerts in Japan (and Korea).

I'm including standalone concerts for the purposes of this analysis. For WJSN, I'm showing:

WJSN 1st Concert "Would You Like – Happy Moment"

2017-05-19 | South Korea | Seoul | Blue Square Samsung Card Hall

2017-05-20 | South Korea | Seoul | Blue Square Samsung Card Hall

WJSN Concert "Would You Stay – Secret Box"

2019-03-02 | South Korea | Seoul | Blue Square iMarket Hall

2019-03-03 | South Korea | Seoul | Blue Square iMarket Hall

WJSN 1st Mini Live "Would You Like?" 2019 Zepp Tour in Japan

2019-08-17 | Japan | Tokyo | Zepp DiverCity

2019-08-24 | Japan | Osaka | Zepp Osaka Bayside

2019-08-25 | Japan | Nagoya | Zepp Nagoya

2022 WJSN Concert "Wonderland"

2022-06-11 | South Korea | Seoul | Olympic Hall

2022-06-12 | South Korea | Seoul | Olympic Hall

• Twice are doing well in the US. They had over 80k fans there they haven’t announced an Asian tour which is weird anyway I hope next year they’re coming in Paris.

I'm curious, where are you getting the 80K figure from? I'm estimating US attendance for their "III" tour at roughly 140K.

• JYP announced 100k While touring data on Twitter the source is reported by Billboard the total numbers were 80k

Can you provide links to the sources for these numbers? I'd like to update my spreadsheet accordingly, and I'm also wondering how my estimates could have been off by so much.

• Can you provide links to the sources for these numbers? I'd like to update my spreadsheet accordingly, and I'm also wondering how my estimates could have been off by so much.

Bad Bunny Has the No. 1 Tour of February With Nearly $40 Million in Ticket Sales
    The Puerto Rican star saw an average of $3.3 million and 15,240 tickets per show.
    www.billboard.com

It’s only based on 6 dates though I don’t think BB reported these 2 California dates I guess they may have passed the +100k marks

• It’s only based on 6 dates though I don’t think BB reported these 2 California dates I guess they may have passed the +100k marks

Ah thanks. If I look at only the first six US concerts of the III tour, my numbers line up much closer. The 140K figure I mentioned earlier was for all nine shows.

On a related note, have you seen any numbers for Itzy's recent US shows yet?

• Please take a look at this post for the addition of Iz*One/Loona/(G)I-dle, whom some regard as 3.5th Generation.

Itzy just started touring, and probably has around 50K attendance so far, though their Checkmate tour is continuing into 2023 with eight more shows. StayC hasn't done any concerts as far as I know, but Aespa did have a few "Synk" showcases.

If you want to throw in JYPE's Japanese sister group that just started touring. Their number is around 380,000. Since they are supposedly doing a Korean release Early/Mid next year people might want to cross consider them a JPOP/KPOP 4th Gen group.

• If you want to throw in JYPE's Japanese sister group that just started touring. Their number is around 380,000. Since they are supposedly doing a Korean release Early/Mid next year people might want to cross consider them a JPOP/KPOP 4th Gen group.

Yep that 380K figure is around what I was estimating as well: (16 × 11K) for their first leg + (4 × 50K) for their second leg = 376K.

It just goes to show that it can be quite lucrative to tour just solely in Japan.

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.
  • 2023 so far.

1. @BLACKPINK (2023) - 1.1M [31/38 shows so far]
    2. TWICE (2023) - 530K [23/38 shows so far]

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!