A Visual Comparison of Third Generation Girl Group Touring Attendance

• It's often been said by members of the AKP forum that touring is the best indicator of success, as well as the most profitable activity that an artist can partake in. Thus, I wanted to examine concert attendance figures for major girl groups of the Third Generation.

To do this, I first compiled published attendance numbers from Wikipedia and Fandom.com. However, the problem is that most concerts don't actually have attendance figures listed, so I had to estimate based on venue capacity. For smaller venues such as theatres and auditoriums, I used an estimate of 90% of capacity. For larger venues such as arenas and stadiums, I used 80% of capacity, since these larger venues typically don't have existing stages, and thus construction of one necessarily reduces the number of people the venue can hold.

My results are shown in the chart below. Each circular marker represents a concert, and they sum up cumulatively over time. Official colours were used when possible, and the data are current to the end of 2022:

3G_GG_Concert_Attendance.png

As we can clearly see, Blackpink and Twice are the only groups with significant touring power. What I found interesting is that their attendance figures have largely mirrored each other over the years. Twice has historically maintained an edge for the most part, but Blackpink recently took a decisive lead, which isn't too surprising given that they've been touring extensively as of late.

This then begs the question: what will 2023 bring for the two rivals? I'm expecting that the remaining 23 shows of the Born Pink tour will add on around 500K+ to Blackpink's total. But Twice likely isn't going to stand still, and I've heard people on this forum claim that they're planning on touring in 2023 as well. Will they expand their tour to finally include stops in South America and Europe? That seems like a logical move to me, as does playing more shows in Southeast Asia. Twice will have to make up a deficit of about 560K to take the lead again by the close of 2023. This is certainly within the realm of possibility, but might require that JYPE takes some bigger risks, which the company may the loath to do.

The next three groups with the highest attendance figures are Red Velvet, Mamamoo, and Dreamcatcher. I think it's safe to say that none of them will be challenging Twice or Blackpink at the top, but I also think that their positions probably won't be threatened by any of their other peers. I was pleasantly surprised by Dreamcatcher in particular, since they've actually toured in more countries than Blackpink and Twice, combined. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if they eventually surpass Mamamoo.

Are there any other interesting observations to make? And are there any other groups that should be included in this analysis?

Further Reading on This Topic:

The Chart Above, Updated with 2018 Girl Group Debuts

Table of Attendance Totals, Number of Shows, and Number of Countries

Edited 2 times, last by wsoet ().

• GG touring really isnt a thing, is it? :eyes:

I wonder what would happen if you included 4th gen in this. Izone barely toured and more than half of their lifespan was spent on hiatus cause of rigging scandal and COVID. But what about Loona, Itzy, and Idle? I dont think Stayc, Aespa, or any of the 4.5 generation groups have toured yet.

that's because people don't want to include certain groups as 3rd gen despite being around about the same time

Loona could be included in this list they are 3.5 gen

• edit: can you include Loona? they technically have been around since 2016 maybe include other groups that debuted in 2018 since they could be considered 3.5 gen

Please see the updated chart below. In addition to Loona (89,929 attendance), I also added (G)I-dle (58,055) and Iz*One (86,790). I believe those are the only three 2018 groups worth mentioning when it comes to concert attendance.

Loona has essentially the same attendance as Dreamcatcher, though they were able to achieve that feat with about half the shows.

3G+2018_GG_Concert_Attendance.png

• Please see the updated chart below. In addition to Loona (89,929 attendance), I also added (G)I-dle (58,055) and Iz*One (86,790). I believe those are the only three 2018 groups worth mentioning when it comes to concert attendance.

Loona has essentially the same attendance as Dreamcatcher, though they were able to achieve that feat with about half the shows.

3G+2018_GG_Concert_Attendance.png

thank you

• Would be interesting see the number of dates and a count for the number of different countries alongside this.

That's easy enough to generate--please see the table below:

3G+2018_GG_Concert_Attendance_Summary.png

It's still a bit shocking to me that Dreamcatcher has performed in more countries than every other group in this analysis, combined.

Dreamcatcher: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, South Korea, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States

Every Other Group, Combined: Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, Philippines, Poland, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom ,United States

• Dreamcatcher are probably the least successful group on that list domestically in South Korea, so they were always forced to look outwards with their concept. I'm also going to guess here and say they have a pretty low standard deviation? So when it come to picking countries the opportunity cost of performing in one place over another is probably not as large as say Twice.

JYPE notoriously plays it safe with them - they'll send all their boy groups to Europe after a year or so but always refused to send Twice as they'd rather keep them in Japan where they are guaranteed to sell out large arenas and Domes. I think one of the main reasons Twice renewed is because they want to do one big and genuine world tour before completely slowing down so will be shocked if places like Europe, Australia and South America aren't included in their next tour.

• Wait but how did u calculate the 26 shows bp already performed on born pink tour. There is only 2 shows reported

So for their European concerts, I used the 160K attendance stated here and distributed that figure in pro rata fashion among their 10 shows, based on venue capacity.

For the rest, I essentially estimated based on venue capacity, and do plan on updating my numbers once official Billboard results are released.

• I wonder what would happen if you included 4th gen in this. Izone barely toured and more than half of their lifespan was spent on hiatus cause of rigging scandal and COVID. But what about Loona, Itzy, and Idle? I dont think Stayc, Aespa, or any of the 4.5 generation groups have toured yet.

Please take a look at this post for the addition of Iz*One/Loona/(G)I-dle, whom some regard as 3.5th Generation.

Itzy just started touring, and probably has around 50K attendance so far, though their Checkmate tour is continuing into 2023 with eight more shows. StayC hasn't done any concerts as far as I know, but Aespa did have a few "Synk" showcases.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!