Why do groups rarely cover 2NE1 despite their popularity?

• This question is from reddit.

"When it comes to 2nd gen covers there's a lot of SNSD and Wonder Girls, but 2NE1 who had as big hits (and were arguably bigger than both digitally with the public) I feel rarely ever get covered.

At SBS today it felt like a 2nd gen tribute but then for YG they used a BP song whilst SNSD/Wonder Girls/Kara were the other covers. Seemed an odd choice but is a running trend I've noticed over the years in which 2NE1 get ignored when it comes to tributes/covers.

Is it because there are a lack of groups that are similar to them so they're hard to cover?"

What do you think?

• Maybe it has to do with copyright, i remember how during Queendom G-idle couldn't release an official studio version of their fire cover because of copyright, heck even 2ne1 had to be authorized to sign their own songs at Coachella

It's likely to be the case as YGE had 2Ne1's Intellectual Properties while Dara was signed with them until she left in 2021

• Yeah it's always been odd how 2ne1 get shafted so often. Not even having their songs covered but also not being brought up often in knetz or media eyes compared to the usual suspects SNSD, WG, Kara, Sistar etc.

I guess it could be down to them not having a strong lasting legacy. They did very well until 2014 and then just peaced our, as a group and individually. Other gg was still around a bit longer in some form so their group and therefore songs are remembered more.

• It's a combination of YG gatekeeping their songs/trying to make it so that they are never discussed and the difficulty of pulling off their concepts (they were strong live performers... not a huge focus on choreography but more on singing and hyping the crowd).

When you are the group that popularized the "girl crush" concept that many groups try to emulate, it's hard to live up to that. 3/4 members are strong singers, 3/4 are strong dancers and you have one of the "best" female kpop rappers, it's hard to cover that.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It's a combination of YG gatekeeping their songs/trying to make it so that they are never discussed and the difficulty of pulling off their concepts (they were strong live performers... not a huge focus on choreography but more on singing and hyping the crowd).

When you are the group that popularized the "girl crush" concept that many groups try to emulate, it's hard to live up to that. 3/4 members are strong singers, 3/4 are strong dancers and you have one of the "best" female kpop rappers, it's hard to cover that.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What do you mean, how can they intentionally make it so that something is not talked about

And not just that no one talks about it

• What do you mean, how can they intentionally make it so that something is not talked about

And not just that no one talks about it

I am referring to "big companies" (as referred to in this journalist's post) intentionally telling a journalist not to write about 2NE1's performance at Coachella. Basically, this journalist simply commented on the fact that YGE disbanded 2NE1 against their wishes and refused to transfer them the trademark to their name, which is why the whole Coachella performance was prepared in secret.

Apparently, the journalist was told not to release the article by multiple big companies, which upset them and so they published it on their personal blog.

• Also, 2NE1 songs don't showcase what 4th gen wants to showcase which is dance.

2NE1 has very simple dance moves and focus more on "swag". Other GGs are easier to cover because it's just copy and paste.

And a lot of 2NE1 songs which are popular are also ballads, like Lonely and Ugly.

The most recent 2NE1 cover I remember is (G)I-DLE's Queendom performance

External Content youtu.be

• Yeah it's always been odd how 2ne1 get shafted so often. Not even having their songs covered but also not being brought up often in knetz or media eyes compared to the usual suspects SNSD, WG, Kara, Sistar etc.

I guess it could be down to them not having a strong lasting legacy. They did very well until 2014 and then just peaced our, as a group and individually. Other gg was still around a bit longer in some form so their group and therefore songs are remembered more.

2NE1 not having a strong legacy? Lmao... many idols still call them and/or CL as inspirations so I think they do

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!