Does this further prove that China is a viable market for KPOP?

• Official Post

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Outsold KPOP and some Western acts, but he's not even big in the West.

Is this proof that a STRONG and DEDICATED Chinese fanbase can guarantee you millions?

Xiao Zhan is actually Chinese and not foreign, so this might not be the best example.

However with the constant downplaying of Chinese sales on this site, I wanted to see how AKP users would react, and how this might prove how China could be a viable market for KPOP in the near future.

And IFPI is a GLOBAL and RENOWNED chart, so no clowning around here.

And as always,

DISCUSS.

:giraffe:

• Official Post

its kind of misleading to say he "isnt big in the west". he was literally in the untamed which had a huge international following.

bigger than BTS and DaBaby though? I doubt it.

Both Rockstar and Dynamite topped Billboard for several weeks. Made to Love didn't even enter the top 100 eye-

He may be popular but his western popularity compared to other acts on this list is miniscule.

• They are already viable because kpop depends upon physical sales and a significant percentage of that comes from China.

・゚ 🎀 𝐵𝓁𝒶𝒸𝓀𝓅𝒾𝓃𝓀 𝐹❤𝓇𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 🎀 ゚・

42880fa4ac96298e4b26e69acc7466df9c020cfb.gifv61d9d03079dcca08018fddc7e065366fd5b1cb33.gifvc36d4dbbfdddf670228a3e8d52e5040a4ad6850a.gifvb84a5edbd39d08ccaad6db639e0740f4562821c6.gifv

• If anything it means China success means nothing globally other than China. Sure he’s made money but why would a foreigner want to crack that market given its political problems?

• If anything it means China success means nothing globally other than China. Sure he’s made money but why would a foreigner want to crack that market given its political problems?

Political problems aside, for foreigners, it is still a massive market with an emerging middle class that dwarfs many countries in the world. Money is still a viable reason to crack into that market.

• For kpop? Easily no. People forget it's banned there and from my experience on Weibo, I really wouldn't recommend any kpop group making that a big target market. Way too much political and cultural risks involved, unless the kpop group comes from a Chinese label.

Japan is clearly the favourable option I don’t know why some are trying to make Kpop happen in a country that had it banned for years.

• Political problems aside, for foreigners, it is still a massive market with an emerging middle class that dwarfs many countries in the world. Money is still a viable reason to crack into that market.

What foreigners when Korean idols cannot go?

• Everyone and their mothers were in China before the ban so clearly China is an important market ( physical sales - concerts - fanmeets )

But for selling music I don’t think it will bring artists money.

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• Official Post

Everyone and their mothers were in China before the ban so clearly China is an important market ( physical sales - concerts - fanmeets )

But for selling music I don’t think it will bring artists money.

I mean let's see:

Xiao Zhan made like 23 million USD with an surprise, unpromoted single(Made to Love) in China alone.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So it's probably nothing compared to what can be made in Japan, but it's still a viable market especially if you want cash!

:giraffe:

• Chinese music market isn't beneficial at all for any of American, Japanese, Korean, European acts.

It would be brave to invest in a market that generates lower money than your own. I would preferably invest in a market where I can get better value for money. And China most probably isn't that.

But Chinese fans can be beneficial and are important (especially for kpop groups).

• This never had to be proven, everyone knows China market if good for kpop >some< groups.

As for sales there's a difference between downplaying them and simply explaining how they work in comparison to other countries sales, for some reason the second is enough to make people mad for some reason.

• I can’t judge from one person who happens to be chinese and could possibly be an outlier. Let’s look at how much top5 artists make from music and how much the average artist also make.

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• bigger than BTS and DaBaby though? I doubt it.

Both Rockstar and Dynamite topped Billboard for several weeks. Made to Love didn't even enter the top 100 eye-

He may be popular but his western popularity compared to other acts on this list is miniscule.

but its not just abou the west is it? this is about worldwide...

who's your favorite artist?

• Official Post

but its not just abou the west is it? this is about worldwide...

Exactly....it's weird to think that his tiny niche of fans in the West had a big impact on the overall sales for his single.

Most of the sales are probably from China, which is why I stated that it was impressive that he was able to outsell big artists despite being a relatively local artist with limited global exposure(compared to some of the acts on this list.)

• Exactly....it's weird to think that his tiny niche of fans in the West had a big impact on the overall sales for his single.

Most of the sales are probably from China, which is why I stated that it was impressive that he was able to outsell big artists despite being a relatively local artist with limited global exposure(compared to some of the acts on this list.)

this is a huge assumption tho. my point was that the untamed was pretty big among international fans and im sure many fans all over the world supported his music career. its right that he's not "big in the west" but i think its misleading to say that when it is not like he is a nobody. im sure other parts of asia contributed a lot to his success on this list as well. there are many chinese acts who should have made this list over the year if only china was enough.

who's your favorite artist?

• I dont understand the discrimination against Chinese album buyers. Chinese fans buy through Ktown4U just like everyone else, they pay the same price for the albums as everyone else. The 200k from Rose's Cbar counts just the same as the 200k+ in preorders from other countries like Korea, Japan, and the US.

Now, if you want to argue reliability and dependability of the Chinese market, that's a different question and a very valid concern. China can literally halt all revenue streams to a Kpop act in a split second if the Chicoms make that decision. Kpop labels should focus on Korea, SEA, and Japan first. Then China and the West second.

• Official Post

this is a huge assumption tho. my point was that the untamed was pretty big among international fans and im sure many fans all over the world supported his music career. its right that he's not "big in the west" but i think its misleading to say that when it is not like he is a nobody. im sure other parts of asia contributed a lot to his success on this list as well. there are many chinese acts who should have made this list over the year if only china was enough.

Ah I understand your point now. tbf XZ is sort of an outlier, but yeah I def agree some other parts of the world could've contributed to his success since he's pretty popular there.

• The chinese market has great potential if not for the ban...i don't know why anyone would say otherwise. They have super dedicated fans...just touring there will generate profit.

• The Chinese market has always been important especially considering the rise of the middle class and ability of fans to eb even more rabid about their favs even more so than knetz

• Chinese market has always been important.

The only reason it hasn’t been forefront since 2014 is because Kpop can’t promote there, or promote there like they did pre-2014, or promote there as much as their popularity allowed. So there is nothing to report about in regard to Chinese popularity.

And people don’t like China right now, with Hongkong and the pandemic on top of it, and many other events going on. Logically they always been important. People just don’t talk about it, and dismissed/ don’t care because China isn’t popular right now as a bragging rights

• Are people forgetting one important factor missing here???

The dude is Chinese. How can he not be expected to do well in his own country??? We are talking about foreigners here and how the political climate doesn’t benefit them. And as Anon813 , if 47million digitals sold(a Guinness record could only place you at number 7) I doubt how profitable it is. And it’s not like kpop acts are even selling these numbers in the first place

• ?( Thank you to those in this thread that have pointed out the obvious, that this dude is Chinese...

Also China is too fickle. I do believe that not too long ago they were even trying to black ball him from the industry.

Tell'em Bangtan is dancing on the floorImage result for bts dancing gif fire

Edited once, last by MIRACOLE ().

• AGREE as long as

1. there is no ban and

2. kpop group/soloist is really big/popular in china

otherwise, you won't sell near or as big as Xiao Zhan. what got me curious is if it's really good in china, then, i should've seen more chinese artists on the list (not racist or anything).

I am curious with untamed now as well. LOL.

• This thread contains one more post that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!