Is 2-2.5mil going to be the plateau for kpop sales?

• We saw groups very quickly go to one million and then closer to 2 million. There are just so many groups both GGs and BGs headed in this trajectory. I do think apart from NCT and 17 : SKZ, txt, aespa are all also gonna crack that 2 mil in the very near future. Apart from that groups like Ive and New Jeans may potentially head there in some years as well.

But y’all think these groups are gonna sell much more than that? Like do y’all think multiple groups will be capable of say getting to 3million?

• I have said it multiple times, kpop album sales are becoming an economic bubble, once it burst, shit is going down

lol people were saying that when Twice and Izone hit 500k, since the second i joined this forum actually . Sales will eventually plateau at some level but i highly doubt GG sales will collapse all the way down to under 500k for the big GGs or under 1M for the big BGs.

Sales will probably stabilize betweem 500 - 1.5M for GGs and 1M - 2.5M for the BGs.

• lol people were saying that when Twice and Izone hit 500k, since the second i joined this forum actually . Sales will eventually plateau at some level but i highly doubt GG sales will collapse all the way down to under 500k for the big GGs or under 1M for the big BGs.

Sales will probably stabilize betweem 500 - 1.5M for GGs and 1M - 2.5M for the BGs.

I've search something that maybe could help with this,
    but it may be too broad to picture the situation.

so this is GDP growth of SK from 2010 to 2021

238678-pasted-from-clipboard-png

as you can see that it's quite stable around 2016-2017
    and twice already hitting total sales of 500K around December 2016, and their more&more album hitting 500K sales on July 2020.

for izone they are hitting total sales of 500K around April 2019, and their oneiric album hitting 500K on June 2020.

but like I said, the SK gdp alone can't picture the whole thing since each of them had one album hitting 500K in 2020, which in 2020 their gdp is really dropping (also it's not like all people in sk buying kpop album ^^ ).
    So there must be another factor, which is the global market.

and the kpop sales are indeed increasing along with the globalization of kpop to other sides of the earth.
    So I think they key factor is the global market, mainly Japan and China. These two market will likely be the sustainer for 1 - 2 million sales number. But for how long?

and maybe the sales number could even increased if somehow the companies could grow a bigger market in the west. Like someone already said, 3 - 3.5 million is achievable; but only if they also had the West as their market.

• It depends on how willing companies are to increase the number of versions. It is visible that HYBE is. Like no one would have thought that Seventeen will eventually outdo their 15 versions from last year. But they somehow managed to get that number to 22 versions and repack with 18 versions. TxT and Enhypen also almost doubled to tripled their number of versions from last year. Both new HYBE girl groups debuted with like 8 versions (cmiiw). fromis_9 too I guess did like 11-12 versions. YGE too is in the same vein as HYBE with Treasure and Blackpink. SME is taking it slow compared to the aforementioned two. They are being sneaky just like JYPE increasing the versions.

So it depends on how much more these companies are willing because it is very much visible that the groups are actually not growing through their respective digitals. It all depends on the number of versions.

• I do think it's feasible but not sure who will crack the mark. The constant obsession by 4th gen fandoms to be the first to do xy and z might push them to boost a group to 3M in sales. They won't be the first, of course, since BTS has done it, but I've seen all kinds of permutations where people filter it down to being #1 on Hanteo when they're not even #1 on Gaon/Circle, so anything is possible here.

I think it will be a Hybe group, mostly because SM's lazy ass never restocks or sends enough merch. The NCT 127 mobile account is telling me to go buy the new special Target edition of the album that's been sold out on preorders for like 1 or 2 weeks now. :facepalm: And that's even before you get into their rachet shipping delays. :facepalm: :facepalm: Meanwhile NCT Dream doesn't have American distro.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I do think it's feasible but not sure who will crack the mark. The constant obsession by 4th gen fandoms to be the first to do xy and z might push them to boost a group to 3M in sales. They won't be the first, of course, since BTS has done it, but I've seen all kinds of permutations where people filter it down to being #1 on Hanteo when they're not even #1 on Gaon/Circle, so anything is possible here.

I think it will be a Hybe group, mostly because SM's lazy ass never restocks or sends enough merch. The NCT 127 mobile account is telling me to go buy the new special Target edition of the album that's been sold out on preorders for like 1 or 2 weeks now. :facepalm: And that's even before you get into their rachet shipping delays. :facepalm: :facepalm: Meanwhile NCT Dream doesn't have American distro.

Re stocking is not a thing IMO esp not with SM it’s just a fan narrative. The gap in Gaon and Hanteo shows that a lot of album have been shipped and they are in stores.

If it will be a HYBE group or any other group it will be because they’re more popular and not “stocking” issues. Not for NCT not for any other group whose fans like to use that excuse.

The availability or non availability of cheaper albums like the digipak affect sales. But stocking issue does not to any significant effect affect sales. Maybe a few k ppl but it’s not gonna cause 100k or more of sales effect.

• The constant obsession by 4th gen fandoms to be the first to do xy and z might push them to boost a group to 3M in sales. They won't be the first, of course, since BTS has done it, but I've seen all kinds of permutations where people filter it down to being #1 on Hanteo when they're not even #1 on Gaon/Circle, so anything is possible here.

their obsession of being the #1 is indeed concerning. Sometimes they even make "the first 4th gen reaching Xnumber in MonthName 2022" or for those mid-low company they gonna make it as the #1 in their company :pepe-shame:

I think it will be a Hybe group

agreed. But here I see JYPE might having a chance too, they are on the move on expanding market here and there. Also YG still has Blackpink.

so yeah, between those 3

• Pretty sure people said the same thing for 1st gen and look the collapse around 2nd gen though

Lol that’s completely different? That was because of the rise of the digital era lol. I think literally everyone in the world predicted the downfall of physical album sales then. Because duh common sense.

Now we don’t sell music we are selling merch. Unless Korea like bans albums that’s the only way sales is gonna drop.

• their obsession of being the #1 is indeed concerning. Sometimes they even make "the first 4th gen reaching Xnumber in MonthName 2022" or for those mid-low company they gonna make it as the #1 in their company :pepe-shame:

agreed. But here I see JYPE might having a chance too, they are on the move on expanding market here and there. Also YG still has Blackpink.

so yeah, between those 3

NCT and aespa have more of a chance than everyone in JYP.

As for YG, I’ll comment after I see BP sales this cb 👀

• their obsession of being the #1 is indeed concerning. Sometimes they even make "the first 4th gen reaching Xnumber in MonthName 2022" or for those mid-low company they gonna make it as the #1 in their company :pepe-shame:

so yeah, between those 3

Has a JYP group passed the 2m mark? I know Seventeen, NCT 127 and NCT Dream have, but don't know if a JYP group has yet...

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!