Do you think SNSD's comeback has changed the game for girl groups?

• As in members can leave their girl group's label but still comeback as a whole?

To start, I'd like to mention that Brown Eyed Girls (BEG) have also made a comeback while the members were in different labels, and before SNSD. But I think that the scale of SNSD's comeback makes it more significant.

And this discussion isn't just for girl groups that are disbanded or on indefinite hiatus, it's also about current top girl groups such as BLACKPINK and TWICE whose members will likely not stay in their original label forever.

Of course we don't fully know if this comeback was the result of sheer effort from the members to push their respective labels to cooperate, or it was an act of kindness from SM to allow SNSD to become their first group to comeback even if many members aren't with the company, but the result is the same: SNSD has shown that girl group members don't all need to be part of the same label to produce a comeback.

Will that mean that other entertainment companies will now be open to sharing profits for a veteran group to comeback? Let's say Wonder Girls want to have a reunion, will JYP allow it? Or say some members of a group you stan "leaves the company but not the group" (cliché), there's now hope that they can be part of a future comeback?

Or maybe this is just an exception, and there's very little chance that members that are in different labels than the original one will make a comeback, and if all of them leave the original company it means the group is essentially disbanded?

Discuss (boy group stans welcome too)

tumblr_mbacq1PDzs1rvedkto1_500.gifv

少女時代

• I hope so!

I prefer groups having longer careers than getting new batch of groups every year and kicking some out of the game

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Mamamoo.

Apink almost pulled it off, but it did not work out at the end.

• SNSD has given me hope that no matter what happens in the future, my faves are never gone forever.

But SNSD isn't touring. I will miss the day I'll never see my faves again in their final concert

Yes I agree the big thing missing was a tour, but some members have stated they wanted to do it, so it's not completely impossible I believe, especially considering their fanmeet was around ~10,000 people. But it will be the toughest thing to negotiate because tours are expensive and time consuming.

少女時代

• Yes I agree the big thing missing was a tour, but some members have stated they wanted to do it, so it's not completely impossible I believe, especially considering their fanmeet was around ~10,000 people. But it will be the toughest thing to negotiate because tours are expensive and time consuming.

Yeah and everyone have different schedule and commitments now but maybe a short one could be possible. Ive seen groups tour for a few weeks only. Id die for a SNSD concert...

• What SNSD did was truly an exception. It wasnt just a single like some have done. It was full blast comeback (and freaking good one). The full album, music shows, variety show, variety show appearances, multiple fan meetings, fan event/mini concert, SMtown concert.... considering how SNSD is still a blueprint for ggs, everyone and their mothers will be copying them

• I wish it did. but I really don't think it did anything other then show snsdOT8 are real friends. which is so beautiful. as far as changing business stuff. nah. money is money.

• I think it especially changed the game in the aspect that a group can actually have a real comeback after so many years

Like, I know some say Forever 1 is nostalgia overload, but for me it felt like a legit comeback, especially considering the effort put into the whole album

• Kind of. You mentioned BEG and Mamamoo are a similar type of situation. Even SES reunited together. So the opportunity for groups in different labels to reunite isn't something new and SNSD aren't doing anything unheard in that regard.

However the scale of content and amount of buzz they generate is typical SNSD paving the way. They're an old group so you wouldn't expect them to feature as much, maybe a an album, a few TV shows and back to their normal lives pronto. Essentially a cameo appearance.

But SNSD promoted as if it was a normal CB for them: full music shows (art least attempted but covid happened), a stupid amount of TV shows including their own show, SM Town and a final fan meet that was basically a concert. Their content in them storming the charts despite heavy competition from many ggs and having their best selling album since 2014.

A 15 year old gg with members from different labels was doing as well if not better than a lot of modern day groups. Their CB shows so long as a group maintains their popularity through the years in some form and promotes as nornal then there's no telling how successful they can be. Labels will probably think twice about how they promote their older ggs from now, maybe giving them CBs on the same level of modern ggs instead of shelving them like they have in the past.

• I wish it did. but I really don't think it did anything other then show snsdOT8 are real friends. which is so beautiful. as far as changing business stuff. nah. money is money.

But other girl groups have also formed strong friendships, for sure. Now or in the future if some members are in different labels, and they want to make and perform new music, I think it is possible for groups that can bring profit.

少女時代

• A 15 year old gg with members from different labels was doing as well if not better than a lot of modern day groups. Their CB shows so long as a group maintains their popularity through the years in some form and promotes as normal then there's no telling how successful they can be. Labels will probably think twice about how they promote their older ggs from now on.

This is what I was thinking too. If labels can properly manage top girl groups until members decide they want to focus on solo careers elsewhere, surely we can see this happening more often

少女時代

• This is what I was thinking too. If labels can properly manage top girl groups until members decide they want to focus on solo careers elsewhere, surely we can see this happening more often

That's the issue, IF labels can manage older ggs properly. For the most part they can't and we saw many ggs disband or go into indefinite hiatus after 5 to 7 years with contract problems. For the sucess SM had with Forever 1 they haven't got a good track record either: they screwed fx for years and of course SNSD 10th anniversary shit show that for all intents and purposes ended the group for years until last few months. Even RV kinda has been put on the back burner in recent years.

Things are changing with some 3G ggs lasting longer like Twice, BP and RV but who's to say what happens by year 10 or more for each group. Will labels still support them as they do now or pass them over for newer trendier ggs? It remains to be seen.

• I don't know. It was always the plan for a big 15th anniversary reunion, like SES did. If they come back again and it doesnt take them 5 years to do it, that's a different story.

We need to see girl group members leave the agency but still be able to take part in comebacks on a semi-regular basis. More than anything, we should soon see the rise of split contracts but even still, Mamamoo is struggling to pull that off.

• I don't know. It was always the plan for a big 15th anniversary reunion, like SES did. If they come back again and it doesnt take them 5 years to do it, that's a different story.

We need to see girl group members leave the agency but still be able to take part in comebacks on a semi-regular basis. More than anything, we should soon see the rise of split contracts but even still, Mamamoo is struggling to pull that off.

Yes a reunion was pretty much guaranteed since it's SNSD, but a new album, music show promotions, many variety show appearances etc.? That was not, and this was pretty much what an active girl group would do for a comeback.

From what the girls have said in Soshi TamTam, their was no set year for this comeback. They tried last year but pushed it back to this year. Unless you mean SM planned it years ahead of time?

As for the second paragraph this is why I wanted to have this discussion, I wonder what was agreed upon for this comeback (royalties, payment for performances and appearances, etc.). Like the girls signed contracts for only this comeback, so this will become more common for veteran top girl groups? That would mean members can safely choose to leave a label for their career and it's not the end of their involvement with the group.

少女時代

• That's the issue, IF labels can manage older ggs properly. For the most part they can't and we saw many ggs disband or go into indefinite hiatus after 5 to 7 years with contract problems. For the sucess SM had with Forever 1 they haven't got a good track record either: they screwed fx for years and of course SNSD 10th anniversary shit show that for all intents and purposes ended the group for years until last few months. Even RV kinda has been put on the back burner in recent years.

Things are changing with some 3G ggs lasting longer like Twice, BP and RV but who's to say what happens by year 10 or more for each group. Will labels still support them as they do now or pass them over for newer trendier ggs? It remains to be seen.

Tbh with the RV situation, it's kinda obvious that the whole Wendy situation made them have to go on a long hiatus after Psycho (hence why we got Monster). I feel like they likely would've came back soon after Monster (probably late 2020 or early 2021) or when Wendy was fully healed and ready to comeback, but then the whole Irene thing happened and they kinda had to postpone RV coming back again until Summer of 2021. And now we had a comeback this Spring 2022 and from what I know they're supposed to comeback again later this year?? They're a bit older of a group now so ofc it's not gonna be like 2017 or 2018 where they came back 3 times each year but I don't necessarily think they've been put on the backburner. I think it's more the circumstances in recent times have caused them to not be able to be as active.

• Tbh with the RV situation, it's kinda obvious that the whole Wendy situation made them have to go on a long hiatus after Psycho (hence why we got Monster). I feel like they likely would've came back soon after Monster (probably late 2020 or early 2021) or when Wendy was fully healed and ready to comeback, but then the whole Irene thing happened and they kinda had to postpone RV coming back again until Summer of 2021. And now we had a comeback this Spring 2022 and from what I know they're supposed to comeback again later this year?? They're a bit older of a group now so ofc it's not gonna be like 2017 or 2018 where they came back 3 times each year but I don't necessarily think they've been put on the backburner. I think it's more the circumstances in recent times have caused them to not be able to be as active.

Yeah you're right, maybe back burner is too strong. They definitely are slowing down group activity especially in comparison to younger groups like Aespa and NCT who are getting the most of SM attention so that was what I referring to.

At least they're focusing on individual careers in the mean time which is as smart decision that will help them in the long and extend their careers. If people remember Joy teh actress or Wendy the singer years down the line then that’s great exposure for RV the group if they were to reunite.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!