"It's misogynistic to have boy groups incorrectly covering girl group songs"

• I have a bone to pick with kpop fans, specifically those who don't like boy groups to cover girl group songs. Why do ya'll say that they are masculinizing the dances or there's an issue with replacing pronouns (if it doesn't change the meaning of the song)? But girl groups can cover boy group songs and get praised for it... where's the logic in that? It seems every time a boy group covers a girl group song, why are getting hate. Biologically male bodies have different compositions than those biologically female, so they can hit different notes and they have a different flow of movement. And isn't it supposed to be a cover, not a copy? Aren't artists allowed to put their own twist on it?

• I remember the time as 3rd gen just debuted their first groups and people prased acts like VIXX and NU'EST for dancing to girlgroup songs, even dressed up as girls. People where even super jealous of how pretty Ren of NU'EST looked like dressed up as a girl

and now around 10 years later people get pissed ...

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Unless they are mocking, there's no problem in doing whatever they want to do with the choreography.

The meaning of cover is literally doing your own version of a existent piece of art. Yes, including masculinizing its moves. If it will be good or bad, then It's subjective, but not problematic.

206119-el-diablo-stay-gif

Yes, I mean genuine covers, not mocking. I should have been more clear in the OP, but I totally agree with everything you're saying

• its misogynistic when the cover is awful bye

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• Hmmm tbh I agree with your point but I also think that more goes into it, yk things aren't usually black and white and all that. But I honestly don't think this issue can be resolved by attacking bgs, but sometimes the covers do come across lack luster or like they are "correcting" the original to some fans

I understand your point, but I usually don't overthink about their intentions, because It can be both come from a mysogynistic mindset of rejecting feminine moves or just genuinely wanting to give their own flavor to the performance and trying something different, but I will never know. So I just judge what I like and what I don't like. Because indeed, sometimes masculinizing Its moves will be good to me, sometimes It will seem forced and bad executed, like any other type of cover.

• That's what actually got me looking into the topic tbh... and even ones that didn't change pronouns have gotten dragged, it's a deep dark hole of hate that I just don't get.

They also gotten hate back when they covered Monster too :-(

The thing is, since the line they changed in Tomboy was feminist and made it sound more patriarchy, so I kind of get it some of the criticism, but at the same time. It's fucking kpop. It's not that deep. They definitely don't deserve hate over it.

Wei admired idle. Especially Seokhwa. They were excited to perform because they genuinely love idle and the song, so I don't think the changes came from a bad place.

So people just need to chill.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• And often pronouns are changed in covers, not with the intent to change the meaning of the song but simply because they are that gender, like WEi are male, so why would they be queens in this queendom?

• If they change the choreo even a little bit it's always accused of trying to make it less feminine. I remember a group changed up part of the dance break on an itzy song and people were dragging them on twitter for not wanting to look like girls, but they did the rest of the choreo faithfully. They just showed out on the dance break.

• I think a valid conversation can happen about toxic masculinity regarding bg covering gg, because a lot of changes in choreos do have to do with that. But then we'd have to go into an even bigger discussion about society as a whole lol overally i've always thought people have been a bit too dramatic abt this topic (to straight up fucking weird with their hate boner). Dancers are allowed to interpret a choreo how they like, in their own way. I've seen a lot of covers being called awful etc and i've gone to check them out only to think they're fine, even if they're not the best..people make a really really big deal abt this topic.

• If they change the choreo even a little bit it's always accused of trying to make it less feminine. I remember a group changed up part of the dance break on an itzy song and people were dragging them on twitter for not wanting to look like girls, but they did the rest of the choreo faithfully. They just showed out on the dance break.

Yeah I don't get how that's even an issue, they are covering, and putting their own twist on it. Twitter stans are comstantly mad though so I'm not shocked in the slightest.

• I think a valid conversation can happen about toxic masculinity regarding bg covering gg, because a lot of changes in choreos do have to do with that. But then we'd have to go into an even bigger discussion about society as a whole lol overally i've always thought people have been a bit too dramatic abt this topic (to straight up fucking weird with their hate boner). Dancers are allowed to interpret a choreo how they like, in their own way. I've seen a lot of covers being called awful etc and i've gone to check them out only to think they're fine, even if they're not the best..people make a really really big deal abt this topic.

There's a difference between legitimate criticism if they're actually mocking and then there's just being butthurt because a boy group covered a girl group song. It's okay to interpret things differently because like I said it's a cover, not a copy. And each group has their own style and concept.

• can people start linking these covers they're alluding to here so i can make my own judgements :pepe-hips:

LAFBL0s.gif

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

• can people start linking these covers they're alluding to here so i can make my own judgements :pepe-hips:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• When a bg cover changes more feminine moves in the original choreo into more “manly” ones, idt they’re actually being misogynistic or disrespectful per se, they’re just conforming to what society deems as acceptable for men to behave, and that’s “act like a man if you’re one”. During his teenage years more than half the casual insults justin bieber got was “he sounds like a girl ew!!” bc yes according to most people the worst thing a man can do is be less than masculine. Men embracing their more “feminine” sides is still largely a taboo and in a society like korea it’s hardly surprising this view is prevalent to this day. Idt holding it specifically against male idols as if they all have a vendetta against women will change anything, the best thing we can do is pour more praise into men who dare to go against the status quo and challenge people’s outdated view on what men are supposed to act like. Pioneers like jokwon and taemin should be celebrated if you want to see change. Shitting on covers of bgs who obviously respect the original ggs, they just want to dance a certain way, is futile and counterproductive in this debate

• aint never seen a boygroup cover a gg song the same way JYP did

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

hes doing it better then the twice girls im afraid :pepe-tea:

LAFBL0s.gif

Æmen

• There's a difference between legitimate criticism if they're actually mocking and then there's just being butthurt because a boy group covered a girl group song. It's okay to interpret things differently because like I said it's a cover, not a copy. And each group has their own style and concept.

Yep basically. I saw a tweet a few days ago talking abt "worst covers" and the qrts were full of gg stans talking in a nasty way abt bgs covering gg songs :pepe-life-support: and like i said, i checked those out and they werent even bad lol

• i was just checking that tweets qrts out :cryingr:

ngl some of them gave me a good laugh even the ones about my faves :pepe-life-support:

this the tweet in question:

External Content twitter.com

Yep basically. I saw a tweet a few days ago talking abt "worst covers" and the qrts were full of gg stans talking in a nasty way abt bgs covering gg songs :pepe-life-support: and like i said, i checked those out and they werent even bad lol

LAFBL0s.gif

Æmen

• Y’all are so annoying defending these bgs

They have some shit covers always adding in masculine crap in

Don’t you wonder why ggs always seem to keep the choreo the same while it’s bgs adding in their own crap?

it’s a lot more nuanced than that. Women acting and dressing like men now is not the spectacle or even scandal that the reverse will provide. Case in point: women dressing in trousers is commonplace now despite that clothing item being worn solely by men throughout history until half a century ago. Can you imagine the world as it is right now accepting all men to dress femininely if they choose to and not brandishing a single mocking insult towards those men? No? Then lamenting bgs for not dancing femininely (unlike ggs who can dance as masculinely as they wish) just bc it’s not you who’ll be at the brunt of the mocking they could possibly receive is hypocritical and tone deaf. This is a result of a misogynistic world which deems women as inferior to men, yes, but the solution isn’t shitting on these bgs for conforming to the norm. The best way to educate them is praising when men DON’T act masculine all the time, not to shit on them when they do as expected of them

Edited once, last by Whi ().

• i was just checking that tweets qrts out :cryingr:

ngl some of them gave me a good laugh even the ones about my faves :pepe-life-support:

this the tweet in question:

External Content twitter.com

lmao same but like what are they being so dramatic for :pepe-life-support: you'd think these groups knock on their windows every night and torture them with the cover :pepe-hips:

• lmao same but like what are they being so dramatic for :pepe-life-support: you'd think these groups knock on their windows every night and torture them with the cover :pepe-hips:

the bts ones having their tweet replies disabled is what took me out :pepe-life-support: they knew they were going to get bullied

LAFBL0s.gif

Æmen

• This thread contains 63 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!