Other than the U.S., Japan, and Korea, what are other countries where K-POP is really popular?

• Is not popular in the USA.

Not with the general public.

• SEA is definitely more popular than the US you look at their Spotify monthly listeners and YouTube charts and most of the streams come SEA.

In the US it’s just there a lot of Kpop stans but I wouldn’t say it has the same impact as Korea or Japan.

I would had China.

• Sadly, not here. It's never really been popular in Australia for some reason though BTS have a pretty big following.

The general Australian public, outside of Sydney/Melbourne and parts of Brisbane is still very much xenophobic and low key racist.

Music with lyrics that aren't English are still very much treated by the mainstream and MSM as "novelty", no matter how actually popular they get. Like "look at this song in a funny language, can you believe how popular it is? WOW! Its silly right?". I've seen this with BTS even, where the MSM kind of plays this "It's hard to believe this boy group that sings in a different language and isn't US/UK/Australian is popular, how strange", while old white boomers flood the MSM's Facebook page with "Who?" and a bunch of racist comments.

Australia is also one of the countries that even the huge viral kpop songs/albums seem to struggle in, while Tones and I can sing about Monkeys and make millions.

The only group that KIND of gets a pass is Blackpink, and its not for the music really, but the "fashion model" thing and mainly Rose.

Sorry, I'm bitter. I could rant about Australias crappy reaction to kpop for hours.

• Ehh, the reaction does not surprise me given that Australia is a country that speaks a language that has a ton of cultural power, rich history, and large amounts of media from music, film, books etc.

The same could be said for other countries that speak languages with large amounts of high-quality media. Even in other countries with closer culture to Korea than Australia.

Take Japan for example, I think K-pop fans overlook the fact that Japan has a huge domestic industry and has lots of high-quality globally popular media.

There is a reason Kpop groups promote in Japanese and have to make separate songs for the Japanese market.

A lot of times they even have to re-release Korean songs in Japanese to promote them.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That is my country you're talking about and we're not all racist. The example you might be referencing was that TV show that made a comment about BTS but the fans who know about K pop like it including myself and would like to see more groups come here. My theory is that Australia is not a marketable enough country for K pop and with our low population means most groups will only go to Sydney and the rest of the country misses out. BTS have only been here once and hopefully they'll be back again. Blackpink only once. We have had a couple of K pop festivals in the past that were successful. It seems to me that the only acts that want to come here are newer groups who want to become more well known. It annoys me but nothing I can do about it. Australia is still a cool country imo.

• That is my country you're talking about and we're not all racist. The example you might be referencing was that TV show that made a comment about BTS but the fans who know about K pop like it including myself and would like to see more groups come here. My theory is that Australia is not a marketable enough country for K pop and with our low population means most groups will only go to Sydney and the rest of the country misses out. BTS have only been here once and hopefully they'll be back again. Blackpink only once. We have had a couple of K pop festivals in the past that were successful. It seems to me that the only acts that want to come here are newer groups who want to become more well known. It annoys me but nothing I can do about it. Australia is still a cool country imo.

You are all evil :pepe-tongue:  :send-love-bunny:

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm Australian too, born and bred, and we have enough racists to make the place icky, especially when you head out of the cities, into the suburbs and out to the rurals. It's why One Nation still has any kind of hold and both aprties still have racist/xenophobic policies. We're getting better, but we aren't there yet

And a lot of it is low key racism. Not in your face hatred, but a lot of microagressions, racist jokes still being "funny", dumb racist comments, lack of portrayal of non-white Australians in media, and just a general reluctance from many here to embrace anything "different", with the exception of food.

That all ties up to why k-pop isn't marketable here outside Syd/Melb. Because it's still viewed as "different" and novelty. It's not accepted as a legitimate music genre on its own. The media still "others" it. All that still makes it difficult for groups to break in here and hence tour here. I kind of find it strange to be honest. We have Aussie members of kpop group, members who absolutely LOVE playing up their Aussieness, speak with an Aussie accent all that. Usually Australian media LOVES Aussies making it big outside Australia. But for Aussie kpop idols... its silence.

• I'm Australian too, born and bred, and we have enough racists to make the place icky, especially when you head out of the cities, into the suburbs and out to the rurals. It's why One Nation still has any kind of hold and both aprties still have racist/xenophobic policies. We're getting better, but we aren't there yet

And a lot of it is low key racism. Not in your face hatred, but a lot of microagressions, racist jokes still being "funny", dumb racist comments, lack of portrayal of non-white Australians in media, and just a general reluctance from many here to embrace anything "different", with the exception of food.

That all ties up to why k-pop isn't marketable here outside Syd/Melb. Because it's still viewed as "different" and novelty. It's not accepted as a legitimate music genre on its own. The media still "others" it. All that still makes it difficult for groups to break in here and hence tour here. I kind of find it strange to be honest. We have Aussie members of kpop group, members who absolutely LOVE playing up their Aussieness, speak with an Aussie accent all that. Usually Australian media LOVES Aussies making it big outside Australia. But for Aussie kpop idols... its silence.

Look, we're no more racist than other countries. We do have a small element but for the most part it is improving. K pop is not big here because of racism, it is because of our small population and the fact that it has never really kicked off in this country. It is sad but in my 11 years of being a fan I have only seen a handful of groups come here. We're not considered important enough compared to the US or Europe. We're considered a piss ant country in the middle of nowhere and relatively unimportant on the world stage, but I won't have people bagging us even if it is a fellow Aussie. :pepe-hips:

• Most likly not Europe, altho people on the internet let it look like if it did but look at the charts and you see that what you see on the web has nothing to do with what people do on the streets and most of the time the only thing they care about if they know KPop is just BTS and you know that, as Dyniamite came out they played it all over the radio, but some months later and it became complettle silent and no other Korean song got ever played on the radios

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!